Home U.S. Coin Forum

$865 for a half oz. of pure gold??

Comments

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought one. You won't find this strike on any proof Walker.

• Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still nope for me...

• ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought one too, for display. No interest in flipping or reselling, just something to enjoy. Nothing wrong with that, right?

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd rather spend my money on @dcarr's 1964d morgans. The PL version should be coming out any day now :smile:

The more you VAM..
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2016 10:17PM

I've only bought two Mint products in 10 years. The 2009 UHR and this one.
    Lance.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got the email that the household limits have been lifted.

• AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2016 10:50PM

It is a nice piece no doubt, so if it floats your boat, buy away!

Try buying a new car and drive it off the lot and see what you can sell it for. it's all the same. Stop judging. Enjoy!

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still have the quarter and am not sorry, but I haven't looked at it since the second day.
    :/

• VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lower price point coming in 48 hours.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is nice looking, but priced high and small compared to the original.... I really would have preferred to see a silver set, identical to the originals.... THAT I would have purchased. Cheers, RickO

• PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

What's the point of this thread? You've been a respected member around this community. This just makes you look like a condescending whiner to the many people that purchased this beautiful piece.

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:
    I've only bought two Mint products in 10 years. The 2009 UHR and this one.
    Lance.

well, I believe you got the two most picturesque, Lance!

Great images by the way!

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

Patches highlights a valid point to the OP. I am suspecting the word "widgets" may have sparked that. As if a half ounce of one of the most beautiful 20th century American coins struck in 24k gold is a widget. However, I have and AM as guilty of using verbiage the same way, in this realm. Economics dictates what many of us can have ...and hold.

So, I would think this piece will be as strong in the future as the Indian Eagles of the past. .... going into the next century.

Buy / Hold.
    Collectors don't usually sell anyway. That's not who we are deep down. We treasure our national treasures. ...typically.

It may be flipped like pancakes for many years. But it's still gorgeous... as widgets go. :)

• HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well said TwoSides. I agree and as they say "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder." And many collectors be holding one of these beauties.

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

I agree with TwoSides in that "widget" now has a bad connotation. To those whose point in collecting is for investment, Goldbully probably is right. That is these will always be available and not be a good investment. This is a beautiful coin as is the ASE (bullion), but will never be so scarce as to make it an investment. The division is between investing and collecting.

Paul
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

And the good news is you can buy as many as you want now since the HH limits have been removed by the Mint.

I still own zero.

• MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sitting this one out.

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

The US Mint web site shows that 48,976 have been sold as of Nov 27. Not sure if the mint can sell the production limit of 70,000 but a sellout is entirely possible.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm still on the fence.

Got Crust....y gold?
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

For a SP70 FS 1/2 oz coin, I'm in for 3.

Hope PCGS comes up with a 3 coin holder for all 3 - I'm keeping one set and giving one set to each kid.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

@pmac said:
    I agree with TwoSides in that "widget" now has a bad connotation.

Never knew "widget" used to have a good connotation. Always thought its' use to be derogatory in terms of coins.

• epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    The US Mint web site shows that 48,976 have been sold as of Nov 27. Not sure if the mint can sell the production limit of 70,000 but a sellout is entirely possible.

Not by 2016 years end. Eventually.

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

I subscribe to the Mint "bad deal is a good speculation" theory. When the Mint produces an obviously over-priced piece that has a nice-looking classic design, has a bit of history attached, is minted in quantities that will probably sell out and yet enough that it can be mass-marketed - my inclination is that it might work out in the long run as a reasonable investment. From a bullion standpoint, this one is certainly a bad deal @ 41% to 44% over spot. From a demand point of view, the jury is still out. I suspect that the economy will affect performance for the next couple of years. That, and also whether or not the Mint continues to dilute pocketbooks by milking collectors as much as possible in 2017 and 2018 with too many new issues (which I completely expect to be the case).

Does that help? :)

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

How many Gold Kennedy's did they make? More Kennedy Collectors or less? That might be a way of seeing the future of these coins, Still not a good deal for me though.

• OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well it's a gold widget and a very beautiful one at that............I believe it will be
    majorly sought after and expensive in a hundred years

Steve

Promote the Hobby

@thebigeng said:
    How many Gold Kennedy's did they make? More Kennedy Collectors or less? That might be a way of seeing the future of these coins, Still not a good deal for me though.

The gold Kennedy half dollars have 3/4 oz of gold while the gold Walkers have only a half ounce of gold so I'm not sure this is a valid comparison. Similar but different.

• mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OldEastside said:
    Well it's a gold widget and a very beautiful one at that............I believe it will be

Steve

Which won't do me a bit of good since I am less than a year away from the big 6-oh...

• OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mbogoman said:

@OldEastside said:

Steve

Which won't do me a bit of good since I am less than a year away from the big 6-oh...

Hehe :D bout 2 1/2 fer me so ya, I won't get in on that one

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Patches said:

What's the point of this thread? You've been a respected member around this community. This just makes you look like a condescending whiner to the many people that purchased this beautiful piece.

I could have been nicer, sorry for the condescending whine......gorgeous coin, just way over priced.....ergo the HH limit lifted.

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

@epcjimi1 said:

@pmac said:
    I agree with TwoSides in that "widget" now has a bad connotation.

Never knew "widget" used to have a good connotation. Always thought its' use to be derogatory in terms of coins.

Used in a loving way for this thread.

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2016 7:33PM

People get defensive over nothing.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a great design, no doubt. Perhaps the best ever.

That's probably why it's been produced and reproduced about a billion times, if you count the originals, the ASEs, and the large number of private bullion producers who have used it on assorted rounds of various sizes.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

@Patches said:

Point is I can guess.... conversation. Is this a forum ?. These WLG are high prob money losers, unlike the 2006 Anniv sets or the 2011 Silver Anniv sets, 2009UHR.
    .Please .. to look in mirror regarding whiner

• kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

I plan on getting one but it's frustrating the mint can't be consistent with their products. How cool would it be to display the gold Kennedy half dollar next to this one? But they're different sizes. SMH

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

It would be neat if Capital Plastics, NGC or PCGS brought out a three coin slab for the original WLH, the ASE, and this gold WLH. All three would be different but have the same obverse design which would make a very attractive set.

• chiefbobchiefbob Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

Please refresh my failing memory. If these don't sell out by 31 Dec, does the Mint halt all sales or will they carry over in 2017. If they halt the sales and the total sold is ~ 50k, would that change some perspectives on this?

Retired Air Force 1965-2000
    Vietnam Vet 1968-1969
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Baley said:
    It's a great design, no doubt. Perhaps the best ever.

That's probably why it's been produced and reproduced about a billion times, if you count the originals, the ASEs, and the large number of private bullion producers who have used it on assorted rounds of various sizes.

I actually thought the Standing Liberty design (in .999 gold) would have been the winner design (I actually thought they all would be highly desired). But the placement of the purity of gold on the Standing Liberty design sorta wrecked the beauty of the design in my eyes. It just sticks out like a sore thumb. One day I may end up buying one on the after market, but I couldn't because it just looked like someone with no clue as to the beauty of coin design made a decision to place the purity in the worst possible spot.

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only bought one and I think it's a beauty but I wish it would have been a full ounce.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

@chiefbob said:
    Please refresh my failing memory. If these don't sell out by 31 Dec, does the Mint halt all sales or will they carry over in 2017. If they halt the sales and the total sold is ~ 50k, would that change some perspectives on this?

These are technically bullion pieces so I would think they would carry on through 2017

The more you VAM..

I don't care if a gazillion were or are made, beauty rules.

There are plenty of pretty blondes but I never tire of their unique nature.

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MilesWaits said:
    I don't care if a gazillion were or are made, beauty rules.

There are plenty of pretty blondes but I never tire of their unique nature.

What about pretty redheads?

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.

Arghhhh. That too!

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2016 1:14PM

Look for a $25 price drop tomorrow. (I expect all USMint gold products should drop, to reflect week-long sub-$1200 spot gold.)

And save another $5 with free budget shipping until Dec 11th: http://catalog.usmint.gov/header-static-promo-004.html

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• DancingFireDancingFire Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

@TopographicOceans said:
    And the good news is you can buy as many as you want now since the HH limits have been removed by the Mint.

I still own zero.

b/c the mint couldn't give it away. For this kind of $$$ I can buy a nice MS63 $10 Lib.

• VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

@COCollector said:
    Look for a $25 price drop tomorrow. (I expect all USMint gold products should drop, to reflect week-long sub-$1200 spot gold.)

And save another $5 with free budget shipping until Dec 11th: http://catalog.usmint.gov/header-static-promo-004.html

And indeed they are now at $840/ea. walking-liberty-2016-centennial-gold

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file