Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

"HAVING" them.....or.... "LOOKING" at them..???

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you collect to HAVE a coin (like you "need" to fill a hole) or do you collect only what you most likely ...LOOK..at from time to time?

Recently, I dumped all my mediocre (to me anyhow) coins in one fell purge .
I do NOT regret that one bit.

As I have refined what ....I... like even further, I am contemplating maybe doing it again.

But this time would be much harder because I really like looking at MOST of the ones I kept and have added since the dump.

Probably not going to cull out any or much more.

Just curious if many others have abandoned the "have one" idea.

??????

Comments

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin collecting is an evolution. While I still have my original Lincoln Cent Collection from when I was a boy, I have changed my major focus at least 4 times since those days, and each time it resulted in a purge of one sort or another. It called "refinement" :-)

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've done that before. It's normal.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not purge.... my interests have changed... several time.... However, I have always kept my previous interests. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2016 7:55PM

I sold a lot of mid grade VF to AU Walkers to put towards my MS set. A lot of raw Morgans and Peace dollars, too. That was easy to do. At this point; I buy only what I want and keep what I now have. I would only sell for a very special upgrade, now. I have everything pretty much at my optimal grade level and the way that I want it.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:
    Do you collect to HAVE a coin (like you "need" to fill a hole) or do you collect only what you most likely ...LOOK..at from time to time?

Look, admire, appreciate, and remember.

I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2016 12:14AM

Quite a few years ago, I sold virtually every coin I had ever bought in order to get some high grade "classic" proof coins.
    At the time I thought it was a good decision but I timed it wrong and bought at the wrong time.
    The coins are in rattlers, which may help eventually unbury me, but I wish now that I would have kept most of my "stuff."

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would it have turned out differently had you done it with MS instead of proofs?

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:

Good question.

• Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

What was your method of "dumping"?

Paul
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I do not purge.... my interests have changed... several time.... However, I have always kept my previous interests. Cheers, RickO

This just about exactly describes my collecting habit.
    I've thought a couple times about pruning and using funds to further other goals, but can't quite get myself to do so.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

I buy out of desire to have, after LQQKing. And I sell out of the desire to serve those looking to have .

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭✭

We all are possessors of our coins (and other items) for a while. Appreciate them for what they are and they will pass along to another "possessor". I have images taken of most of the coins that I have had in the past. Some I have held on to longer than I thought...others have racked up more frequent flier miles than I have.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:

Most likely. I was into proofs for a while, not so much now.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file