Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

GTG - Merc Dime True View is in. Bottom of post.

Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 7, 2017 8:58AM in U.S. Coin Forum

My first gtg post.
Bought this for my new registry set, with intention of regrade. It's in a non-host holder.
So guess its grade now, cause its cracked out tomorrow and headed to newport beach this week. I'll post its current grade tomorrow night and the pcgs when its done.

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

65 wild arse guess.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

That coin needs to be conserved, IMHO

Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too hard to tell from the images, but from what I see I would guess 65

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

64 to me, could it be the new condition census ddo?
    I can't get the picture to enlarge for some reason.....

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks to be a DDO..

• Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

64 I don't know about the ddo

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

When I bought it off ebay, the pictures were bad. I had a very outside chance at a ms ddo, but no, sadly it is not a ddo. But in hand it is a beauty. I took lots of pictures of it, and just can't get all of its tonedness (new word-tonedness) to come out right in a picture. It should cross over nicely.

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

At first blush, I said 64 also.

Paul
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's current holder probably says 65. I will guess it grades 63-64 at PCGS. This is all based on pics.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2016 4:47PM

@DIMEMAN said:
    It's current holder probably says 65. I will guess it grades 63-64 at PCGS. This is all based on pics.

I'll go with DIMEMAN with his assessment. It's really tough to say with those image. More light I think might help. I can't judge the luster.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a 64 to me.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog said:

@DIMEMAN said:

I'll go with DIMEMAN with his assessment. It's really tough to say with those image. More light I think might help. I can't judge the luster.

Me, too. I agree with Jon.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough from those pictures. I'll say 58.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't tell from the photo, but look new to me

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

64 no bands, lacks eye appeal, probably won't CAC

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2016 10:39PM

Thanks to you all with the 64s and 5s! wish me luck!
    Sorry my pictures weren't the best.
    I think it'll cross at 64fb, but can always hope for the 65.
    So in about a month we'll see.
    I post with tru view.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you really see FB there?? I did not see that in the pictures.... From the pictures I would have said no FB...Cheers, RickO

• Options

Maybe it's just the pictures but I don't see full bands there at all

HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless the photos are misleading, this coin doesn't come close to having split bands. Value at MS63 is roughly $80. At MS64, it's $150. With postage, submission fees, and grading fees, you appear to have much more downside potential than upside potential here.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

@COINS MAKE CENTS said:
    Maybe it's just the pictures but I don't see full bands there at all

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2016 3:30PM

Changed the lighting and angle of my phone a bit. Really tough to get the colors in this dime to show in the pics.
    Its definitely fb. These pics are better, but it still looks way better in hand, its not as darkly toned as these look.

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Better pics as far as seeing the detail, that cheek looks kind of rough which might explain the 63 grade

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options

OK I see now definitely full bands

HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see the bands now but the first photo shows no full bands.
    This is a classic reason why you can't grade from a photo?

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it stays at 63 FB like the ANACS holder says. Too many hits on the reverse in my opinion to make it go higher.

What do I know though?

Ken

• Options

@Fairlaneman said:
    I think it stays at 63 FB like the ANACS holder says. Too many hits on the reverse in my opinion to make it go higher.

What do I know though?

Ken

I agree.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

My how photos can deceive and transform perception.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

Interesting how differently the bands looked from one picture to the next!

• Options

Yes, I see the FB now.... amazing the difference .... certainly shows how pictures can be incredibly misleading.... both ways, no doubt. Good luck... Cheers, RickO

• Options

FWIW, I'd leave it in that old ANACS

• Options

It's on its way home in its new ms64fb pcgs slab.
    Thanks for all the replies and opinions :)
    I did like it in the old anacs slab, but registry and upgrade crossover-worth it.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin and I like the look, what is going on with the reverse rim next to "UNITED"?

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

I don't know much in the ways of the errors, but looks struck that way, and some doubling in the D in "United.

• Options

Congratulations on the upgrade..... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice upgrade from ANACS!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

Very nice Mercury Dime! Great job!

• Options

Thanks for the pats on the back! And a pat on the back from dimeman, C'mon!
    I've only been here for about 9 months, and it feels like I know alot of you.
    I have learned more reading posts, in my time on here than probably the first 20 years of collecting.
    So thanks to all, and Happy New Year!
    Paul

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file