Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1802 Lg Cent Reverse cud, boy this is a big one what do think-Sorry still having problems loading pi

Comments

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks more like a strike through or a gas bubble that popped and created the depression. Is it raised or depressed in that area? A cud would be raised as the metal flow fills in the missing die piece..

• Options
    newcollectnewcollect Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

Is there any value added to this coin for collectors with this error?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... looks more like a tumor than a cud.... :D:D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    KoinickerKoinicker Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

@newcollect said:
    Is there any value added to this coin for collectors with this error?

Not really.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

What bigeng said....I don't think that's a cud.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2016 3:47PM

Here's the photo. I agree it's not a cud.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thebigeng said:
    Looks more like a strike through or a gas bubble that popped and created the depression. Is it raised or depressed in that area? A cud would be raised as the metal flow fills in the missing die piece..

One or the other. Not a cud.
    If the side opposite this area is exceptionally well struck then it is probably a strike through because of the extra thickness there during the strike. If the obverse is normal, then it is probably a planchet defect that separated after the strike.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

The rev. has all the die cracks of S-240, which was cracked
    from the rim through the left ribbon & clashed heavely
    by dentils near the fraction. Breen remarks in later states
    there was axial misalignment with weak areas at the end of
    drapery and OF and that the obv had become loose and
    clashed. He further infers that a later state may exist
    showing severe breakage at the right obv, or rev.

It would be helpful to see the obv condition.

My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options

OK...now, in the later picture, it appears incuse.... initially I thought it was protruding.... one of those eye tricks... Thanks for the larger picture...Cheers, RickO

• Options

OBV pic above- Crappers still cant up load pic , just the link!

• Options

That is ok...the link works.... Thanks, Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can tell by the way that the light hits known raised surfaces (the bottoms of the letters in ONE CENT, and the lower rim) which way the light is coming from. From that you can see that the area in question is a valley, with the light hitting the far side of it. If it were a mesa, it would be hitting the near side of it. Stand on the south rim of the Grand Canyon on a sunny day and you will see the north side of the canyon all lit up.
    TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Wow... looks more like a tumor than a cud.... :D:D Cheers, RickO

(In voice of Arnold Schwarzenegger)

Its not a too-ma :D

Looks like a stikethrough or lamination of some sort. Defenatly not a cud

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

@thebigeng said:

One or the other. Not a cud.
    If the side opposite this area is exceptionally well struck then it is probably a strike through because of the extra thickness there during the strike. If the obverse is normal, then it is probably a planchet defect that separated after the strike.

My thought also, Cap'n. Planchet defect that came off.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    OK...now, in the later picture, it appears incuse.... initially I thought it was protruding.... one of those eye tricks... Thanks for the larger picture...Cheers, RickO

Now I see what you're talking about...weird that the mind's preconceived realities can influence what the eyes see.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

When using photobucket, use the HTML link to post onto this forum.

Here is the OBV;

photo s-l1600 12_zpsdvl2pcxx.jpg

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

grading should be done soon,PCGS contacted me and asked if I wanted to change to mint error service and I said sure why not, hope its collectable.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

@newcollect said:
    grading should be done soon,PCGS contacted me and asked if I wanted to change to mint error service and I said sure why not, hope its collectable.

Good thing, you could have gotten a details grade because of planchet flaw otherwise.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file