Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many of the early Cuban coins were struck at the Philadelphia Mint. But I don't have one to post.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2016 12:15PM

Here's one by Barber from Wikipedia. Barber's designs were in use up until 1986 according to this E-Sylum article by David Ganz.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was going to post this discussion previously but did't believe it was US coin Forum applicable.

But I guess an event such as this, and with the other world things occurring today,

it is appropriate. :+1:

PS I have no Cuban coins.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    edited November 26, 2016 12:22PM

@1630Boston said:
    I was going to post this discussion previously but did't believe it was US coin Forum applicable.

But I guess an event such as this, and with the other world things occurring today,

it is appropriate. :+1:

PS I have no Cuban coins.

Not only did the US Mint and Barber make Cuban coins, Cuba was part of the US from 1899 to 1902.

Also, 5 Presidents had tried to buy Cuba from Spain: Polk, Pierce, Buchanan, Grant, and McKinley. If Spain has sold Cuba to the US, would Cuba be a state now, similar to how the US purchased Alaska?

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

Commemorative of the The sixth summit of the non-aligned movement held in Havana, Cuba 1979

• Options

Thank you @Zoins

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lousy pics but it's what I have. I see that it needs an acetone soak......
    bob:)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a few Cuban coins... mostly picked up in change....the one is quarter size and shows up most often. The others are Coinstar finds....Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko
    I appreciate the coin-star Cuban finds. And the fact that you kept them.

• Options

@1630Boston.... I keep all the foreign coins I find.... no special reason... might give them to a YN who is interested in coins... they speak volumes about the vastness of the world. Imagination is the pathway to achievement...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2016 2:54PM

****_Rule 6) This forum is about US Coins. If your post is not directly related to US Coins then this is the wrong forum. Do not post it or your posting privileges may be removed.
    _**

B)

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KollectorKing said:
    ****_Rule 6) This forum is about US Coins. If your post is not directly related to US Coins then this is the wrong forum. Do not post it or your posting privileges may be removed.
    _**

B)

Pre Castro coins were struck in Philadelphia!

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

http://www.govmint.com/1932-1934-cuba-star-peso-silver-vf-xf.html

Cuban "Silver Dollar" - American in Every Way

Because the U.S. had one of the strongest mints in the world, the Philadelphia Mint struck Cuban Star Pesos in 1915 to 1916 and again in 1932 to 1934. Star Pesos were struck on the same U.S. Peace Dollar planchets, yes, with good old American silver at the Philadelphia Mint. Also attesting to its American roots, Charles Barber— designer for American Barber dimes, quarters and half-dollars, created the distinctive Star with Rays design—named after its reverse.

• Options
    edited November 26, 2016 3:20PM

@topstuf said:
    http://www.govmint.com/1932-1934-cuba-star-peso-silver-vf-xf.html

Cuban "Silver Dollar" - American in Every Way

Because the U.S. had one of the strongest mints in the world, the Philadelphia Mint struck Cuban Star Pesos in 1915 to 1916 and again in 1932 to 1934. Star Pesos were struck on the same U.S. Peace Dollar planchets, yes, with good old American silver at the Philadelphia Mint. Also attesting to its American roots, Charles Barber— designer for American Barber dimes, quarters and half-dollars, created the distinctive Star with Rays design—named after its reverse.

Great info on the American nature of Cuba's coins. It's neat that the design, planchets and striking were all done by the US.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2016 3:21PM

I found this little item in a California CoinStar machine reject bin in July 2016:

Cuba 10 Centavos 2013

The CoinStar machine rejected the coin as was proper.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options

@WillieBoyd2 .... nice find....I need to check my Cuban coins...I know I have a few silver ones...a month ago, I pulled a significant quantity of foreign coins from the Coinstar... need to check them, might be a Cuban coin among them. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file