Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1836 Republic of Texas Silver Dollar

2»

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

The legend on the reverse of the medal is not completely accurate. Several women and one male slave did survive and were allowed to leave. They told the story. There is also some controversy regarding whether one or two of the actual defenders of the Alamo managed to escape in the early morning darkness. The actual number of defenders at the Alamo is uncertain. The bodies of the defenders were burned so there are no graves except for one individual who was the brother of a Mexican soldier who received permission from Santa Anna to bury his brother.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 15, 2024 10:02AM

Here is an article about the building itself. It is interesting that the familiar shape of the front of the building, with the bell-shaped "hump" in the middle as seen on the medal in question and as seen if you visit the Alamo today, did not exist in 1836. It was created in the late 1840's to hide the near end of a peaked roof added during a reconstruction of the building, which had been left in ruins after the battle of 1836. So, don't let anybody say that this was issued by the Republic of Texas during its brief existence. It could not have been, because the building did not have this shape then.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/being-texan/alamo-got-hump/

My best guess for the time of the medal's striking remains the same, "the middle third of the 20th Century." I base this opinion on the style of the artwork used. I cannot prove it, but neither can anybody prove otherwise.

TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 15, 2024 12:04PM

I am with ROger above. I like "numismatic enthusiasm" however....
    Nice enough I suppose but NOTHING to do with the actual Republic of Texas other than a much later momento struck for consumption.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

I read an interesting piece of trivia. The Republic of Texas is the only country to have issued paper money but never issued coins. There was already plenty of Spanish coins in circulation at the time.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file