Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Jefferson Nickel Variety of the Week: 1963-D & 1968-D RPMs

BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 25, 2016 7:59PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Jefferson Nickel Variety of the Week: 1963-D/D RPM-002 (Discovery) & 1968-D/D RPM-001

These fabulous RPMs were supposed to be the the last Cherry Pickers Guide 6th Edition! Just before the release back in late 2015, I contacted James Wiles and he provided me with a listing of the Jefferson Nickels that were to be in the Guide. This is also when I was informed the 1939 DDO-007 (my discovery piece) would be one of the honored varieties. I already posted on this one, so back to this post! The list he provided included these two RPMs. I was pretty fired up on all the new additions, but these two were also extra special. The 1963-D/D was obtained a year or so before the publication from our own Lance Newman, who discovered this one. The 1968-D/D was given to me years ago by a Forum member who has since passed, making this one extra special.

Now, stoked to see these coins in the the Guide, but only to find they were not in there! What! I contacted Mr Wiles and he could only apologize, that they were pulled and they would be in the next Edition. Wow, what a let down. Wait until the next Edition will only be 5, 6 or more years away! I will have to say I am a patient man.....I'll be waiting!

I bought a second example from Lance and not sure if he or anyone else owns one of these RPM-002s? I found a second example of the 1968-D/D and know of one other collector that owns one. The Pops on these will never be known until they are attributed by all the grading companies. Unfortunately, that won't happen until 7th Edition! Happy hunting!

Comments

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great RPMS.......I haven't found either one.
    Nice going.

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

Do you know if the 63-D was found in a roll/bag or from a mint set?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

One cold, snowy winter day I will search my hoard of Jefferson's.... I have saved a lot of nickels, not for any real reason, mainly just because I think it is an under appreciated coin and there may be some really good finds in circulation. Cheers, RickO

• Options

georgiacop50, I believe the 1963-D/Ds came form rolls. I will need to confirm.

• Options
    rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭

Just sort of an aside - did you ever wonder how many graded Jeffersons might be un-attributed to a variety simplye because the collector didnt know they had one, and if they did how would they know if its worth spending the extra money to get that attribute. To me it seems like a crazy system. Eventually the plastic is more rare than the coin.

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
  • Options

rocksmith, I have purchased a few graded, un-attributed Jefferson varieties in the past. I always check for varieties on both raw and graded coins. If they did not know they had a variety, then it will never hurt them to sell them at regular prices. I would say that most graded coins would be worth sending in for attribution. The grading fee has already been paid, you just have to pay $18 for attribution and $10 for the new holder.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

i've seen other 63-d rpm2. didnt get the impression they came from rolls but my exposure is minimal.

that 63-d rpm2 d/c came from my pocket change.

that 68 d is a nice rpm. :)

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice rpm's for sure. I agree with ricko as well about them being undervalued. a few of them sure could come up in price.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow....both of those are neat varieties. I know about waiting. I am still waiting on the next version of CPG containing Dimes that was suppose to be out at the beginning of this year and it is still to be started!

Nice varieties Mike...keep them coming!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file