Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I did something turrible - I purchased a coin because of the label...

mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

Yes... I purchased a coin for two reasons. Primarily, I DO need this coin for my collection...but I could have gone with any PCGS PR65 Accent Hair Kennedy.

I purchased this one in particular because I've never seen a label say "AccentHair" as this one does.
NGC usually says "Accent Hair" and PCGS usually says "Accented Hair" .. so yeah .. I grabbed this one!

1 - Anyone else ever buy the label, not the coin?

2 - Anyone else have photos of labels that are oddball and different? Please post them below I'd like to see them!

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

Comments

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

The rare one is..........parted hair. ;)

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Heck yah - do it all the time with samples! Congrats! :+1:

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tend to buy the coin AND the label, so I may not be any help here.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 25, 2016 6:14PM

Yep, got this in the mail today.
    For my slab generation set.
    Old numbering gen 6.
    New numbering gen 4 but without coin or series numbers and no bar code on front.

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

All slab collectors have done this (bought the slab not the coin), but this is a pretty minor diff. Hey, if you are happy, that's ALL that matters!

Enjoy!!!!

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 25, 2016 6:54PM

I bought a "Doily" pcgs slab of a walker for a really good price. I loved that coin, and slab. But, I sold it for a pretty good profit. I wish I still had it. :(

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also like this one...

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never purchased a coin because of the label or the slab....I have some older slabs, but mainly because of the coin they contain.... just not interested in the extraneous area of slabs/labels. That being said, people collect what interests them.... everything from bellybutton lint to cars and beyond. Have fun, life is short. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back when I was doing a Morgan Dollar Mint Mark Set, I picked this one up for the "busy" label...the coin did not hurt either.

photo 1882-CCMorganPCGSMS64GSAVAM-2BStage3.jpg

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

I bought this one just for the label:

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bellybutton lint? Are you sure about that?

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

@COCollector said:
    I don't collect early cents. But when I saw this one, I overpaid a bit to get the label for my nitwit niece:

Next year you can buy her the 1839 Booby Head. Even better!
    Lance.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the doilys :love:

• Options

While I didn't purchase these for the label, I did purchase them for the "insert".

Love them Limey's!

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

Good to see you around Lee! able to tear yerself away from the IKEGROUP forum...

• Options

@georgiacop50 said:
    Good to see you around Lee! able to tear yerself away from the IKEGROUP forum...

Mostly on CoinTalk anymore. I visit the IKEGroup Forum regularly but it's not very active.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have probably bought hundreds of coins just for what was on the label, haha! Welcome to the club!

:+1:

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's my one and only, but I love it! :love:

02.jpg 55.8K

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file