Home Precious Metals
Options

Graphic on the size of silver

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

It may have been posted before, but this is a pretty neat graphic on the physical mass / size of various amounts of silver, from 5 grams to 1000 tonnes.

http://demonocracy.info/infographics/world/silver/silver.html

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

puts things in perspective.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

What shocks me is the "Silver Lost throughout History". Is the meant as unsalvageable scrap from industrial use, not worth the cost to reclaim type of stuff?

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    puts things in perspective.

So does the $31.10 price in that graphic.
    :D

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

If one started acquiring one ounce of silver per week at age 18, by the time they retired at 65, they would have a bad back.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great graphics.... very interesting. Lost silver, I assume (dangerous, I know) means industrial use for sure, maybe shipwrecks (?), lost coinage... maybe more. Since elements are never really lost, it really should be 'on hold until recovery'. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

thanks

COA
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

non digital photography resulted in the loss of a lot of silver. Even with silver recovery systems photographic negatives consumed loads of silver.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a corresponding graphic for gold, too:
    http://demonocracy.info/infographics/world/gold/gold.html

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

@Jinx86 said:
    What shocks me is the "Silver Lost throughout History". Is the meant as unsalvageable scrap from industrial use, not worth the cost to reclaim type of stuff?

What derryb said and also x-rays films used silver, although much of this has been recovered.

Paul
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2016 9:40AM

Great visualization :+1:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting that. Very interesting!