Home Precious Metals
Options

Frenchman discovers 220 lbs of gold...

Comments

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool, but that inheritance tax is ridiculous.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why, why, WHY do they tell everybody about this? (facepalm)
    This is the most liquid, private gold you could ever want to own.

I just don't understand it.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

First rule when finding 220 lbs of gold; don't talk about finding 220 lbs of gold.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

"extremely well hidden"......................................Maybe he only found half of it :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a cache hunter (metal detecting old homesteads, cellar holes etc), I can tell you, cache hunters NEVER talk about their finds... in the first place, they are far and few between, and second, once publicly revealed, claims will come from everywhere... this guy should have never said a word. Coins and bars are incredibly liquid... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm all for that person paying the taxes there. France has to pay for the way they do life over there so they need every penny they can get. ;)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never seen a 12 kilo gold bar. I suspect that the story is in error here.

Perhaps it was 12 one kilo bars?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    I have never seen a 12 kilo gold bar. I suspect that the story is in error here.

The LBMA has approved 12.5kg (400oz) gold bars with a purity of 99.99%. each bar is unique and cast individually, thus they can vary in weight (typically within +-2%).

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

That could be, if the bars were misidentified.

Note that the story says variously "two 12 kilo bars" and "a pile of gold bars weighing 12 kilos each" plus 37 one kilo bars.

The entire stash was estimated at 100 kilos. If you had multiple 12 kilo bars there would not be enough room for the other items. Don't know if that picture represents what was in the stash or is just a stock photo, but 5,000 French 20 Francs would weight approx. 32.25 kilos. Plus two 12 kilo bars and 37 one kilo bars and you are up to 93.25 kilos. Any more 12 kilo bars would put you over.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 24, 2016 2:32PM

@CaptHenway said:

Wouldn't a 12.5 Kg be just a standard 400 once good delivery bar?

As an aside, where would one get rid of something like that these days since you're looking at around a half million dollars? Seems like your best bet might be a refiner OR maybe someone like Sunshine Minting IF they'd even buy it from you.

• Options

The description is rather imprecise. I will trade you my 12 kilo bars for your 400 ounce bars all day long.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    The description is rather imprecise. I will trade you my 12 kilo bars for your 400 ounce bars all day long.

I bet you would! :) The 12.5 kilo bar is about an ounce over. 12 kilos would be an odd size, but maybe they used the number 12 for convenience.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn't appear to be that"well hidden".

• Options

I was reminded of the movie "The Twelve CHairs."

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Loose lips.......

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions