Home Metal Detecting
Options

Last two hunts: GOLD, 6 silvers, 4 coppers, some other keepers

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 17, 2016 10:51AM in Metal Detecting

This past Sunday, Nov 13th, I got out to the Silver Beach in hopes of finding my personal record for gold in a year. Tried and tried, but unfortunately no gold. Seemed like more newer coins than usual. No buffalo nickels, and only 5 wheat cents. But did manage a beat-to-death merc, sterling band, sterling pendant, sterling necklace (broken into 3 pieces), and a blob of a ring that I think is silver. Will be trying out this electrolysis thing that everyone is talking about. This will be the first victim. Curious as to what it really is.

So, 5 silvers isn't a failure, I suppose! Zot would appreciate the crusty ring pics.

After just about accepting defeat on not making the gold record, my buddy invited me out to hit a couple of cellar holes. He had found a CT copper, and KG III copper the day prior. How could I resist?

First good coin was a 1950-D Washington Quarter. And, shortly in the hunt got a copper, unfortunately not much detail left.

Then got a worn down Matron Head large cent. The ground was hard, so unfortunately I scraped it with the shovel.

Picked up a monster flat button, then a coin that turns out to be a Portugal 5 Reis. I believe it's 1751. Other side is toast.

Then, following an old cart path, got a dateless Braided hair large cent.

At the end of the hunt I was digging a pull tab signal, and my buddy goes, "if that's another coin..." I re-assured him that it's a pull tab, and not 5 seconds later I see gold. Really??? I can't find gold on Silver Beach, but it comes out near a cellar hole. There were some clad coins in the area too, so I didn't think the ring was old. Got home and see a bunch of stamps. Figured it's either kind of old, or British. It ended up being British, Birmingham with a date stamp I'm 99% sure is from 1977. It's 9 karat (.375). So it's my first 9k jewelry, and first British. This also makes it a record gold year for me with 17. Weight is 4 grams.

Would have taken pics and videos of these finds in action, but there was poison ivy everywhere and I wasn't about to start touching things I didn't have to.

I have to say it was one of the best hunts of the year. Hope to get out again soon! HH all. Sorry for the wordy post.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... super finds...and gold.... no problem with a 'wordy' post... read the entire thing and was hoping for more..... Great hunt.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Wow! That's some sweet stuff!
    All this whining about lack of gold on silver beach when you still come up with multiple pieces of silver jewelry (and a coin too). Hmph!

The crusty ring looks very promising for silver. Electrolysis will clean it up in no time. Hopefully there's still a solid ring under all of that, and not a skinny, flaky one! Based on its shape it appears to be an "interesting" ring once again, as opposed to a plain band.

Congrats on the old coin and the gold! The ring sure looks good in those pics with dirt still on it.
    9k?? Ha! That counts as half a ring :p

17 gold is a staggering number. I think I'll adopt a "10% of pcgs69" rule to determine if I've had a productive year.
    I'm meeting that requirement for gold (so far!) with 2 this year. Don't even think about finding four more! :D

Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

a very nice hunt for sure

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a cool looking ring inside and outside. :)

• Options

Any progress on cleaning up the crusty ring?? Cheers, RickO

• Options

I actually haven't even touched that ring blob yet. I'm going to my mom's for Thanksgiving for a few days and will test it out then. Pretty anxious to see what it is. I bet you it's pretty busted inside though. The crust seems thick, and the signal was that roughly like an Indian head cent. So I fear it's merely a shell of whatever it once was.

Zot, two gold ain't nothing to mess with. My goal each year is to find at least one gold. Now that the silver beach is drying up, who knows what next year will bring.

Just noticed the half-eaten cheez-it in one pic. That's a nice little bonus!

• Options

I hope more of the ring is left than you think.. though I realize you have expertise in this area and are likely right.
    I saw that cheezit.... :D mousebait.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

I didn't have any alligator clips and lost patience waiting to clean it, so I took a spoon to it to start breaking the crust off. I figured out why the lower-than-expected tone happened... the bottom shank was non-existent. There was something originally at the top, but that came off sometime in the dirt.

Can anyone recognize what kind of ring it is? I'm assuming it's some kind of military piece.

Happy Thanksgiving all!

• Options

Just a wild guess...but it could be an Air Force signet ring.... Thanks for showing us... Cheers, RickO