Home Precious Metals
Options

For some reason, a 1oz GAE "feels" heavier than a 1oz SAE

BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I know "1oz is 1oz", but still....

I got the 1oz GAE I ordered last week. Even though the seller wasn't Apmex, it seems to have come from Apmex, and the UPS email actually used Apmex's name, so that was weird.

Anyway, when I opened it up, since it is raw, I pulled it out and held it. I love holding gold. Then I held a raw SAE.
Yep....I know. Same weight.

BUT.......for some mental reason, the GAE just SEEMED to be heavier. Definitely smaller, but just MORE to it...to the feeling some something SOLID.

I like holding raw gold....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2016 7:44AM

very observant, the AGE feels heavier than the ASE because the AGE actually weighs more than one ounce.

The AGE has additional alloys added to the one ounce of pure gold giving it a total weight of 33.93 grams and a gold fineness of .9167 (22k). The lighter ASE being .999 silver weighs in at the correct 31.103 grams to make it a true one ounce coin.

Unlike the true one ounce 24k gold buffalo, the 22k AGE includes additional alloys to make it a harder (and more scratch resistant) metal. However, all four sizes of the AGE contain the actual tenth, quarter, half and full ounce of pure gold that is stated on the reverse of each coin. The coins themselves are actually overweight because of the added alloys. Note that both the 24k $50 gold buffalo and the 22k $50 gold eagle BOTH contain one ounce of pure gold.

Good info on gold coin specifications

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good point derryb... one that I have had to make on several occasions... not sure why so many people do not understand that fact. I also had one 'I buy gold' guy try to tell me that the AGE did not contain a full ounce of gold since it was 22K....that was fun. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

indeed, a AGE are 22k but contain the specified amount of gold. so, the mint mints them above the gold weight with an unpublished mix of silver and copper.

although, APMEX recently found one or more AGE accidentally struck on the 1oz Gold Buff planchets. They discovered them by noting the weight felt low.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good point, and thanks.
    I, being focused on silver coins for so long, and not playing with raw gold, never really paid attention/knew that fact. I think I did see it somewhere, but just blew by it.

I had thought it was a mental thing, and because it was more densely packed.

Thank you for pointing out that I can manually detect a 2-3 gram difference with my delicate hands :smile:

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment