Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Secret Santa--2016--Monday 12/5 Deadline

flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

Greetings fellow card geeks. It's time to see what interest there is in doing a Secret Santa for 2016. Last year's SS was a great success and I am sure this year's will be also. If you have never participated--think about doing it this year.

Like last year, I think running it with 2 different tier levels will work best.

1st tier-----gifts must be worth between $50-$125 (based upon SMR or VCP)
2nd tier----gifts must be worth between $125-$250

Rules will be the same as last year. Soon as we see if there is enough interest I'll start a new thread with rules etc.

So post here if you want to join in on the festivities. I was truly impressed with the thoughtfulness and quality of gifts sent last year and know this year will be no different. We had 30 or so participants last year--let's see if we can get to 40

Comments

• maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for organizing Manny, count me in for the 2nd tier.

• curchcurch Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

Love this last year! Unfortunately, between vacation and moving I will not be able to participate this year. Next year! Have fun guys! Hope everyone gets some great items!

Always looking for vintage wax boxes!
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

Manny, you did a great job last year. Everyone send wonderful gifts (with Mr. Klein being the exception). Looking forward to seeing what everyone receives this year. Once again I am going to have to stay on the sidelines, but maybe next year I will be participating. GOOD LUCK GUYS AND HAVE FUN!!!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • I thoroughly enjoyed watching what everyone sent/received last year. I look forward to seeing what you all send each other this year.

• yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for starting the thread and organizing Manny! I'd be in for Tier 2.

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • OriolesOrioles Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

thanks for organizing again. i'd be in for tier 2

• 1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭

I'm in for tier 2 Manny. Why not it's always fun. Thanks Manny.

My favorite part has always been on Christmas Day reading this thread, seeing what others got. With the new picture feature on the message board everybody should be able to post scans. You don't have to upload to another site anymore.

** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

I'll participate in a tier 2 spot. Thanks!

• totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 924 ✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2016 11:29AM

After being extremely disappointed by my secret santa two years ago (I asked for some graded 80's-90's stars, and got a handful of low graded 80's-90's stars that ran 2-5 bucks a pop, and the guy I bought for never posted a thank you or showed the cards I sent him) I opted to sit out last year. I'm looking forward to being in it again this year. Looking to be in Tier 2.

Thanks for setting it up again, my wife refuses to buy me cards/memorabilia so you guys are all I got. Glad that there is a tier option.

• cpettimdcpettimd Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭

Tier 2

Collecting Clemente master (#6) and basic PSA registry sets, Hank Aaron master and basic sets, Mantle oddball issues, 1970's mega decade HOFs, 1967 Topps pin ups, and high grade Topps Clemente and Aaron. Numerous transactions with over 100 board members.
  • One order of Tier 2 please.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.

@totallyradd said: Thanks for setting it up again, my wife refuses to buy me cards/memorabilia so you guys are all I got.

HAHA ... you are NOT alone on this one!!!!! I'm sure you and I are not the only 2.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dboneesq said:

@totallyradd said: Thanks for setting it up again, my wife refuses to buy me cards/memorabilia so you guys are all I got.

HAHA ... you are NOT alone on this one!!!!! I'm sure you and I are not the only 2.

+1 more.

Kevin

• I'm new here, but this sounds fun. I'd be in for either tier. Whichever needs me. Looking forward to it.

Manny ... you may want to list the rules in this thread for the benefit of the new people in the forum.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

@1980scollector said:
    I'm in for tier 2 Manny. Why not it's always fun. Thanks Manny.

My favorite part has always been on Christmas Day reading this thread, seeing what others got. With the new picture feature on the message board everybody should be able to post scans. You don't have to upload to another site anymore.

I agree! No excuses to not post your SS loot!

@flatfoot816 Manny - when would this be finalized? Just want enough time to shop and ship.

• NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for organizing Manny. I'll take a seat in Tier 2.

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone. Looks like we have 12 so far. All tier 2. I think we need 20 to make it really good --so let's go men!!

• KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

If Grote is in I would be interested in a tier 4 or 5 :D

• FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in for tier two.

Thanks,

Nathanael

Manny, when is the deadline to see if this thing is a go?

• jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

Thinking about it, been watching this for years...

CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • We doing this thing or what?

I don't think it's doable at this point. Or it's gonna be a rush job. It takes a few days to organize who's asking Santa for what, and sending that out. I know I'd like at least a week or so to shop for people as new cards pop up constantly. Once you purchase items, you need to get the items in the mail. And finally you need to wrap them and send them out. The post office recommends the 14th to get your items out by. There was one year where one card I ordered got lost in the mail and I had to wait until the very last minute to mail out cards (Myself and the organizer were both tracking the same card, in the end I never received it), that that's an issue to consider in a time sensitive thing like this one.

The couple times I participated, I enjoyed the thrill of the hunt trying to come up with perfect cards and items that someone will enjoy. I tried to research more on a particular set, or player and learned some new things about cards I never would've educated myself about otherwise. It was quite enjoyable!

Therefore, I don't wanna just grab whatever is available on eBay just to be done with it. There's not much fun in that, IMO.

Hopefully next year we can get some more participants, as this is a great thing this board does for each other.

• 1957Braves1957Braves Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

Who says it has to be done by Christmas? We can celebrate Cardmas and aim for a day in January or something. I'd be in. Any great athlete have a birthday in January that can be our patron saint?

@1957Braves said:
    Who says it has to be done by Christmas? We can celebrate Cardmas and aim for a day in January or something. I'd be in. Any great athlete have a birthday in January that can be our patron saint?

Well ... January 31 is the birthdate of three Hall of Famers:

Jackie Robinson
    Ernie Banks
    Nolan Ryan

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• 1957Braves1957Braves Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

@Dboneesq said:

@1957Braves said:

Well ... January 31 is the birthdate of three Hall of Famers:

Jackie Robinson
    Ernie Banks
    Nolan Ryan

That's a heck of a trio. Sounds like a great date to me. Is this back on?

• mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

Sandy Koufax turns 81 on December 30th--let's not forget the Jews!! :)

Sorry for the duplicate post

• 1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    edited December 3, 2016 8:42AM

It's a shame.

** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **

I do not think we have enough time unless everyone had something in inventory or made a 100% effort to get it and ship it. Still think 20 would be minimum for my efforts--Monday is drop dead

• Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

I would be in for plan B...doing it in January if there is enough interest in that. I understand the CU Secret Santa is a tradition etc, but change is a healthy thing. Plus it would give us something to look forward to a month + from now...

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.

If Manny steps down from organizing this and there is interest for January, I don't mind volunteering to organize this gift exchange. I don't want to step on Manny's toes, so if he is wanting to do this, it is all his, just wanted to throw out there that I would be up for organizing this if he no longer does.

• I'm in regardless of the deadline.

• OldEnglishD5OldEnglishD5 Posts: 57 ✭✭
    edited December 4, 2016 8:01PM

I am in. New to this, but would love to be involved. More appealing if I have time to search for something someone wants, but either way, I'm in. 2nd Tier.

Seller ALFLAIR on eBay. for many vintage PSA and raw card sales. PSA Set Registry OldEnglishD with various sets including 71 Fleer Globetrotters, 71 Topps Football, and 64 Topps Standups. Also under FarFars (various sets) on the registry.
  • DragnetDragnet Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

I'm in for 2nd tier

Morning!! Looks like We cannot get this done by Christmas. If you all want to do it in January that's fine.

I'll turn it over to Brent to run. Brent go for it my man

MANNY! How u been my friend???

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

@flatfoot816 said:
    Morning!! Looks like We cannot get this done by Christmas. If you all want to do it in January that's fine.

I'll turn it over to Brent to run. Brent go for it my man

Ok Manny - I will start a new thread for the The 2017 today with those who expressed interest on this thread. Folks can choose to remain in the gift swap, or can bow out if they choose. We can get something finalized by the end of next week and therefore have a month and a half to shop, organize, and mail off items.

@flatfoot816 Manny, let me know if you still want to participate even though we are switching it to January

• maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure if anyone is interested in starting up an exchange again this year as it is always a bright spot for the CU family.

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mikelowell25 said:

Makes me think of this SNL CLASSIC
    Christmastime for the Jews

On Christmas eve the Gentiles gather ‘round the Christmas tree.
    They stay at home and party with their goyishe family.
    They disappear one day each year and pass the eggnog ‘round,
    but it’s all right, ‘cause that’s the night the Jews control the town.

Well it happens every year on Christmas eve.
    All the happy Christian people take their leave.
    Yeah, the streets are deserted and that’s big news:
    It’s Christmastime for the Jews.

Yeah, the Holiday party starts ‘bout 6 PM.
    Ain’t nobody recreating Bethlehem
    Yeah, the three wise men, that’s a big old snooze.
    [Note: they recreate the cast of Seinfeld]
    Christmastime for the Jews.

They can finally see King Kong without waiting in line.
    They can eat in Chinatown and drink their sweetest wine.
    They can crank Barbara Streisand on the streets they cruise.

They can gang up on the Quakers, play for the Lakers,
    they can do what they wanna, even Vogue Madonna.
    Get a chance to drive a tractor, win on Fear Factor,
    See Fiddler on the Roof with actual Jewish actors…

Now they really get the party going after dark,
    Circumcising grateful squirrels in the city park,
    Picking fights in the bars, knowing they can’t lose.

Now it’s nearly 10:30. Yes, it’s time for bed,
    Daily Show reruns dancing in their heads.
    Maybe next year they’ll learn how to hold their booze.
    Have some water
    Don’t get sick now.
    Sleep it off, yeah.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

I would like to be in this year as I sat last year out. I think a new thread should be created however.