Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Every collector should have one of these!

I was lucky to find this old library card catalog some years back. It has 60 drawers 16" deep which will hold approx. 3000 slabs or in the neighborhood of 15,000 coins in cardboard holders. It seems to be perfectly sized for our hobby.
I think I paid $150-$200 for it at an antiques mall in Canandaigua, NY. It allows a level of organization and access difficult to duplicate.
I have often wondered how other collectors organize and store their collections (I use binders as well of course). So, if you have images of your setup and want to share, please do so.

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato

Comments

• Options
    dukiduki Posts: 72 ✭✭

Very nice, that brass hardware is worth the price alone.

• Options
    dukiduki Posts: 72 ✭✭

I have something similar but it was taken over by my daughters arts and crafts stuff.

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool idea! Interesting expansion on the "Box of 20" concept.
    However, if you have any where near 3000 slabs or 15,000 raw coins, I would contend that your set is not the quality it could be.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭

Yorkshireman, that person would probably be a dealer. :)
    As an eBay seller in past years I had stamps, magic cards, antique postcards, paper money, maps and all all manner of ephemera stored in that unit and I still had empty drawers.

• Options

Nice cabinet Duki! Arts and crafts eh?

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat idea. I see these for sale from antique dealets from time to time. One of these days when I buy a house my pet project will be building a coin cabinet. Maybe by then my collection will be more than just 60 coins.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice set up...and would work great for dealer-ish tendencies. Even my husband loves it. He apparently 'has always wanted a card catalog but never knew what to do with one' which is news to me.

• Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    edited November 12, 2016 4:56PM

Here's my coin cabinet, Carthago style with a Punic statue (Lady of Elche) on top.
    only unslabbed Roman,Sicily , and greek coins inside, stored in wooden boxes.

collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options

Wow!!! :o<3

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

My cabinet:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/901717/my-coin-cabinet

I am considering looking for something a little more elegant and better tailored for coins though

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

You go, Cabinet guys.

This is the kind of nonpolitical "cabinet" discussion I can handle, though I am cabinet-less myself (no space in our tiny home, alas).

I'm not quite as interested in the the other kind of "cabinet" discussion which will no doubt ensue in Washington soon

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    danglendanglen Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

I bought the first of my card catalog units about 15 years ago when I opened my first shop. We now have about (15) of the 72 drawer versions in our shop and have found them to be ideal. They are getting harder to come by. The last two I bought came from Ohio and I paid about $400 each for them plus shipping.

danglen

My Website

"Everything I have is for sale except for my wife and my dog....and I'm not sure about one of them."
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mr. Dewey would be proud. :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date