Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

My coin cabinet

NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
No, it's nothing like the Goetz cabinet which has been much admired on these forums. But I always wanted a neat way to store my collection. In the past, they were in shoeboxes. Yes, the more valuable items I own, my US bust half dollar collection and Byzantine solidi live in the bank vault, but I always have kept part of my collection at home. I looked for a pre-made setup but honestly the nice cabinets available were too expensive for my current budget. The cheap cabinets were of poor material that I assume emit harmful gasses. And, face it, there is not much of a market for coin cabinets. I really didn't like the look of a metal cabinet. I know wood is is not the safest material to store coins, but I figure my coins, many of which came from the ground, have seen worse. I thought about building a cabinet, or modifying an old dresser, but honestly my woodworking skills are not really up to the task.

I eventually settled on a used dental cabinet I purchased from a guy on Craigslist. It looked like it was not in too bad shape, and the price was right, so I picked it up.

The drawers were not actually missing, the guy found them before I got there. The drawer handles actually were also not missing, and surprisingly the cabinet, while a little beat up, was not in that bad shape. I was planning on sanding and refinishing it but decided I would leave it the way it was. Has some character.

At one time the cabinet had a hutch, which has been lost. I looked for secret compartments in the bottom, but alas no such luck image
I did find the maker, American Cabinet Co, which was located in Wisconsin, and supposedly has a descendant company that is still in existence and still makes medical equipment.

I found a sticker on the inside that said who inspected it before it was sold. The inspector's name was faded but the date was 1920.
The drawers were in need of a lining.

The drawers are not just good for coins, my rocks and minerals that I collected when I was a kid have a place to live.

The drawers have no dividers, at some point I plan to put some wooden lattice-like dividers in, but for now I just have coins sitting loose.

I have a place to display my raw US stuff, my Roman coins, my Northumbrian stycas, some medals, and a few proof sets

Obviously these pics aren't the best, and my un-restored cabinet doesn't hold a candle to some of the ones I have seen but I am pleased with the way it turned out, and feel a little more like a numismatist of old.

Comments

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice! A+ for persistence.

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool cabinet. Coin cabinets are SO hard to find. I think repurposing something like you did is very smart.

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love it!!!

And I agree with you, keep it as is, the beauty is in the character.

I thought initially, when first seeing the size of it, that the real challenge would be filling it up but apparently you are well on your way to accomplishing that task.

Great piece and story.

JC
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a nice size too which can serve you well.

This was mine which I believe was smaller - LINK
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Wonderful cabinet - I like the fact that you include some other collectibles. I think collecting is a personality trait (my wife might argue disorder). Here is my own non-coin collection that I have stubbornly held onto since childhood. I found the case several years back in an antique mall and the size was perfect. It now sits in the corner of my home office.

• Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    really nice - thanks for sharing the pics!
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Nap, I have to say, what a pleasant surprise to see this post! I really like the old dental cabinet, especially repurposed for coins and rocks and fossils. I have been thinking of a cabinet or something myself and haven't quite decided yet on what I will choose. I have similar issues (I have zero woodworking ability, I'm broke, and I collect too much stuff) and have knocked about with things in all manner of storage.

Currently, I have a three shelf cheapo bookshelf that I found at the lovely town wide garage sale this year for $5. It was on a street corner and there was 15 minutes left of the sale. I also have a few hundred/thousand or so books, so I am always on the lookout. This one has a black finish and since it didn't match my other shelves, I discovered that it was perfect for my daughter's mineral collection and some of my Roman coins. It lives in my living room as a conversation starter and also so I get to look at it every day.

I come from a large Polish/Irish family and even though when I was younger I led a more "disposable" lifestyle, now that I am getting older, I see more value and have more patience for restoring or reusing things. With a little effort, many things can serve multiple purposes. Plastic shopping bags? Trash can liners. Things like that. My gf laughs her butt off at the level of insanity. But I feel better when I know something didn't go to waste.

I have started looking at Craigslist and freecycle and hope to find a similar cabinet...or something...whenever the right piece strikes me. I was thinking dividers for my shelf or cabinet, but seeing your pics of the square drawers set off by the coins on felt in their round holders makes me think that that is the way to go.

Super cool post.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great cabinet. Very classy.

Nice trilobite, too.

I'm almost glad you didn't refinish the cabinet. Since the knobs and drawers were there, all you need is a little furniture polish, I reckon.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Rob, I agree, nice trilobite.

As far as the finish, the antiquarian in me wants it to stay exactly as is, with only repairs to maintain its condition, but the OCD part of me wants to refinish it.
  • Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice trilobite, too.
    >>

Hehe, it puts things into perspective.

My parents bought me the trilobite at a rock and mineral show some 25 years ago. Trilobites died out some 250 million years ago. So I can say I've been owner/caretaker of this fossil for 1/10,000,00th of its existence.

My oldest coin is probably a Celtic coin from about 2000 years ago. I've owned it less than 2 years, which makes me owner of the coin for 1/1000th of its existence.

My oldest American coin is from about 1800. It's a low grade large cent that I got as a gift about 20 years ago, which makes me the owner of the coin for 1/10th of its existence.

Coins are the history of us as a civilization. My current collecting interest, the sceat and styca series from Northumbria, tells the story of the royal and ecclesiastical history of that petty kingdom. Without numismatic records we would know very little about that pre-Viking, pre-Norman time period, for sources are scant and unreliable. With it, we have names, places, and learn the significance of the bishoprics and cities. We learn of the dynastic changes. We can see the evolution of pagan and Christian beliefs by the symbols on their money. Much like Byzantine coins, during prosperity and stability, the coin designs are refined, and made of good metal; as the kingdom decays to internal strife and external invasion, the money similarly declines in quality.

But in comparison to the trilobite, it's all modern crap =)