Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Should I have my CGA's Regraded by PCGS?

Send them in for crossover or just cut and submit?

Comments

• Options
    boimre1972boimre1972 Posts: 262 ✭✭✭

A question for the ages.

Here is what I've learned. If you ever plan to sell the CGA graded notes, yes, get them regraded by PCGS--especially if you try to sell them on this board. But, if you just want to hold on to them, then CGA is fine.

Ebay will not let you show the grade of CGA graded notes, because Ebay established criteria for acceptable TPG companies and only PCGS and PMG meet those standards. In essence, Ebay makes you list them as raw and ungraded. I understand the need for standards, but I think that was a bit heavy handed. I am in the minority on that topic.

Or, you can just cut them out of the holder and try to sell them as raw.

Years ago I did a blind test, taking a couple notes out of PCGS holders and sending them to CGA. They came back with identical numbers.

Hope this helps.

Mike
    Collecting small-size star notes.
    Mishawaka, IN
  • Options
    KT5SilverKT5Silver Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

Go to any major show and show them to Jason or Laura and ask for their recommendation.

• Options

regrade them they arent worth anything in the cga holders. the currency community is of the midst that anything that could cross into pigs/pmg holders already has. thats a newer cga holder so...

• Options

cutting them out of cga holder and selling as raw has to be one of the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I will be a bit more diplomatic - selling them raw is not a wise move, in today's market, that's just leaving money on the table.

Anyway, if you send them into PCGS, they'll cut them out of the holders and grade them without any bias for or against the CGA grade. Jason and Laura play it straight.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options

Cutting them out is cheaper for a regrade . But if you want to give the graders a rule of thumb where they may look twice before lowering the grade go for the crossover .

• Options

A coworker of mine has a beautiful $2 Educational note CGA graded as a 58, but it clearly has 3 light folds. Caveat Emptor. Regrade with our hosts.

Colonial and Continental Currency Collector.

• Options
    gnatgnat Posts: 392 ✭✭✭

@2ndCharter said:
    Anyway, if you send them into PCGS, they'll cut them out of the holders and grade them without any bias for or against the CGA grade. Jason and Laura play it straight.

Yes. This.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure what standards were being used by the CGA people when they were graded; I would be suspicious of any real money grades, especially XF and above. Ask yourself who were submitting them for grading, what years and submitters would have allowed some objectivity? Lower grades, random submitters instead of the biased opinions we see especially in the MS grades.

• Options

VF and below may be accurate in CGA holders, except too liberal on problems like laundering.

• Options
    Jim61Jim61 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

I did a blind test on this subject. I cut them out and submitted them. See here:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/969322/a-picture-is-worth-more#latest

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16977961.

Looking for $1 CU FRN 99999961 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps!

Looking for $50 FRN 00000061
  • Options

Without rigorous and objective grading methods services will get it wrong more often than not. Best lights, experienced eyes, several graders, etc.. In the multitude of experts there lies the truth.

• Options

cga was a good company. the early graded notes were graded right if not very conservatively. what happened afterwords was well... its been well known that the first 20k give to take a few notes were good.