Home Precious Metals

If you are buying 1oz GAE, what are YOU paying?

BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm looking to get a few, but see prices all over the board.
I know there is the premium on them (I see on Apmex the price they sell them for, so that gives a ballpark). I see prices on ebay, with the additional markups due to fees (but, hey, sometimes you can get the ebucks back on them to make them more palatable).

So, just wondering if anyone is currently buying (to stack, not to immediately flip), what you are able to actually get them for?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Comments

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

The APs pay spot + 3% from the mint. The one AP I know of that advertises prices [other than APMEX] sells 1 ouncers for 3.5% over spot or about $45 over with spot at $1285. To make it worthwhile you need to buy 20 ounces to get free shipping. Maybe you could get smoe friends together for a group buy.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 7, 2016 3:01PM

look for MS69s on ebay with ebay bucks. With bonus bucks, usually close to spot and sometimes below. I have purchased MS70 gold buffs on ebay below spot with bonus bucks applied. If you get bonus bucks regularly, build your cash and wait.

Such deals are hard to find but they do surface.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

I believe that everyone on that list buys from an AP so you pay extra markup. If you can put together a large enough order, you can probably buy from the same place they do. Or just put an ad up looking to buy at spot or spot + X%.

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't talk with people in real life about my purchases...especially with bullion. Seldom with coins.
    So, not a large purchase.

I also prefer using a CC, unless I am purchasing at a show or a B&M. It adds to the cost, I know, but when, as derryb mentions, one can add in ebay bucks and any CC cashback, it can be reasonable.

I just picked up one on ebay a few minutes ago with a seller who used the US Coin (non-bullion) category, so I got the $100 ebay bucks and they were lower than others, but still seem legit (though, they use UPS ground to ship???).
    Deduct my CC cashback and the price was about the same as apmex wire/check (a couple $$ less).

So, I will see how it goes. I do appreciate Precious Metal sellers when, when using ebay, they avoid the bullion category :smile:

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good deal Ron.... pays to research. Cheers, RickO

@Bochiman said:
    I don't talk with people in real life about my purchases...especially with bullion. Seldom with coins.
    So, not a large purchase.

I also prefer using a CC, unless I am purchasing at a show or a B&M. It adds to the cost, I know, but when, as derryb mentions, one can add in ebay bucks and any CC cashback, it can be reasonable.

I just picked up one on ebay a few minutes ago with a seller who used the US Coin (non-bullion) category, so I got the $100 ebay bucks and they were lower than others, but still seem legit (though, they use UPS ground to ship???).
    Deduct my CC cashback and the price was about the same as apmex wire/check (a couple $$ less).

So, I will see how it goes. I do appreciate Precious Metal sellers when, when using ebay, they avoid the bullion category :smile:

So with $100 in eBay bucks and about $25 in CC reward points it was still a wash vs APMEX?

Basically
    $1370 -27.4-100

@Bochiman said:
    Basically
    $1370 -27.4-100

Since spot was around $1285 or so, it looks like you did well and got the coin for a bit better than 3% under.

And, of course, they drop it $20 the morning after the ebay bucks are gone :(
    Oh well.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

$50 over spot from my cash and carry dealer as of today

He pays +15.00 over spot

No fuss, no drama

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Nice!
    I can't always make it out during their hours and not sure of what they have right now. Been months since I have been in a local B&M

• WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭

_

He pays +15.00 over spot

No fuss, no drama

mark
    _
    Sounds like Dave...

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wingsrule said:

_

He pays +15.00 over spot

No fuss, no drama

mark
    _
    Sounds like Dave...

Dave in Michigan and CNI in LA,

Howdy Mark

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Was close by to my nearest BM....
    Stopped in and asked. They want $65 over spot and kept trying to push me towards the bars. I understand they have less of a premium, but I was specifically asking about the 1 oz GAEs. Not the maples, not the bars.
    They must have gotten a good deal on the bars ;)

I left with nothing. Wanted a couple of ounces....too in my checkbook and cash, just in case, but didn't like the way they were pushing.....

• $65 over spot is ridiculous. I understand ebay sellers hiking the premium,especially with 15% or so in fees, but in your situation it's too much mark up. When I was buying them up, I rarely went over 2.5-3% of spot.

• Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

I want to say we're selling them at $45 or 50 over currently.

And now you know why I was asking what others were paying ;)
    Thanks for the responses

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

Less today.