Home Metal Detecting
Options

Nov 6, 2016: 12 silvers, 5 buffalo nickels, and some other keepers

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭

Got out to the silver beach today. Really wanted to find a piece of gold to get a new record number for the year. Tried my best, but unfortunately no gold. Did get two junk rings though.

Ended the day with:

1 Wartime Nickel
5 Mercury Dimes
2 Silver Roosevelts
1 Silver Washington Quarter
1 Sterling Catholic charm
2 sterling bands
5 Buffalo nickels

The sterling bands were found on the other side of the beach. First one looked like copper at first, but it was in the area that turns silver brown. The other one was found probably 15 feet away and also looked brown. This one has a small design on it.

Also got 15 wheat cents. One was 1915-D. So close to that 1914-D!

All found with the CTX. Seriously thinking of selling the TDI SL, as the CTX does a good enough job, and has some discrimination.

HH all!

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just an unbelievable amount of silver you find there... no wonder you call it 'Silver Beach'....I wonder why...was there a concession stand there? Must be some reason....Cheers, RickO

• Options

Nice.
    I'm curious...what do you do with all of the coins? They all seem pretty eaten up as to have no collector value....do you sell the silver for melt? Spend the non-silver? Put it albums to see if you can complete a run of dates?

"A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes"--Hugh Downs
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those Buffalos look better than the silver. You still have a long time left to find that gold for a new record :)

• Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

An impressive haul of silver once again!
    I'm sure there's still plenty of gold left B)

I'm done for the year myself. Full-blown winter over here, with temps well below freezing and plenty of snow.
    I'll pick things up again in 5 months or so (~April)

Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options

Not quite full blown winter here yet Zot..... still some trees with leaves...but it was 26 degrees this morning. So now you will have time to catalog your finds... or some other stimulating winter activity :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never liked the beach much, but I could learn to like 'silver beach'. :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

Awesome!!! Love that row of buffalos.

Bob
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

We need a hard freeze here to kill the oak mites. A real pain. :(

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,502 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice haul

• Options

26 degrees yesterday, 28 degrees this morning..... I guess winter IS settling in here.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

Nice finds! I managed to get out to a beach but it was barely "Clad Beach". Found less than a buck in clad in about 2 hours, and no other finds of note. At least it was nearly deserted, so I had plenty of me-time LOL.

• Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Zot, come in over to the states! Can help you find some nice Wheat cents.

Man, I'm horrible about replying to stuff.

@windwhispersintrees said:
    Nice.
    I'm curious...what do you do with all of the coins? They all seem pretty eaten up as to have no collector value....do you sell the silver for melt? Spend the non-silver? Put it albums to see if you can complete a run of dates?

I just hold onto it. No real value to these, plus it makes for some great stories. The good stuff goes into the safe deposit box. The good pocket change goes to the bank. Dirty but still sound ones go to Coin Star. Mangled ones go by my buddy for 50% of face. I don't feel like sending the small amount to the mutilated coin division at the mint.

WhiteTornado, wait for those winter storms and hit those beaches then! You should have some silver coming your way.