Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

At what Minimum Market Value do you consider sending a Coin to CAC? $100 - $300 - $500 - $1000+ ??

Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭

What percentage of the coins sent CACed and what would you calculate the average cost per coin for CAC submission. How do you account for these costs - period expense or inventory cost? Do you tack on a premium for CAC Coins in your Sell Price / Valuation? What coins would you not CAC - Dollar Value, etc? Do you do your own submissions or has a dealer been the go to person on this?

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

Usually I will only send ones that have a decent price jump at the next grade or with a bean or if the coin has killer eye appeal. Some also play the gold bean game with common $50 coins they think are undergraded to the point a gold is possible.

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 1, 2016 5:57PM

The most inexpensive one I have ever sent is was worth $1,200 at the time. But I would consider something in the $250-$500 range as long as the sticker earns a minimum 10% premium.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

$50 or so and up; and then it probably makes them sweat a little because they want to be nice and give submitters the benefit of the doubt. Not an easy job with everyone looking to add value and look for that warm fuzzy feeling they get from approvals....

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

None if it looks right it will not need it. How often do you get a gold anyway.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

$200

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any coin I feel would merit a CAC submission. As a collector, my encapsulated coins tend to be $100-200 and up anyway (both purchased and made), so I send what I feel is appropriate.

GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

Gonna get me a $50 Octagonal someday. Some. Day.
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:
    What percentage of the coins sent CACed and what would you calculate the average cost per coin for CAC submission. How do you account for these costs - period expense or inventory cost? Do you tack on a premium for CAC Coins in your Sell Price / Valuation? What coins would you not CAC - Dollar Value, etc? Do you do your own submissions or has a dealer been the go to person on this?

1. About 70%
    2. Around $500
    3. Inventory cost but I'm a collector
    4. Yes, the premium varies widely of course
    5. I don't set a minimum dollar value; I do it for fun, learning & profit
    6. Submit my own as a collector
  • Options
    KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have not sent had a submission yet, but am working with a local dealer to get a group of coins submitted. Avg cost $100. Several I feel could bring a premium, and a sticker MAY allow me to ask more when selling. The main objective is tuition. Learning and having fun as @VanHalen put it

• Options
    DancingFireDancingFire Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

$400 and up. I haven't send one in yet.

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see the need, it should stand on it's own merits.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've sent in many $50 coins. The way I see it that gives me the ability to better determine what they like. If the coin stickers, 50 years from now if the value has increased naturally with the sticker it's value should be much greater than it's peers.

It's well worth the price of admission.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    slider23slider23 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2, 2016 6:59AM

I am a collector and I submit direct to CAC. I would put my minimum at $150, but I do have a nice toned Buffalo in a OGH with a value of $50 that I am going to submit hoping for a gold sticker. I submit to CAC as a learning experience to help me buy better coins. For the coins that I have submitted, I am around 40% approval. To date I have only sold one CAC coin a 1883 CC Morgan MS64+ with a green sticker and I made a small profit after eBay fees.

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't send in anything less than $500. I don't think any coin worth less than $200 should go to PCGS.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have never considered the service and maybe if it was a five figure coin, but I find very few problems with my choice to use PCGS , almost 99 % of the time. I respect the principles and cause .

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can someone please explain to me what a Green sticker means and what a Gold sticker means?? Thanks in advance.

• Options
    edited November 5, 2016 2:50PM

@keets said:
    Can someone please explain to me what a Green sticker means and what a Gold sticker means?? Thanks in advance.

In a nutshell green means it is solid for the grade and meets their criteria for the assigned grade. Gold means the coin is undergraded by today's standards. There is some controversy about what exactly that means though. Is it undergraded by 1 point or 2 or ?

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2016 2:54PM

@keets said:

It looks like CAC doesn't want you to know.
    It used to be a green sticker was solid for the grade and a gold was exceptional for the grade (and thus a likely candidate for an upgrade) But I went to the CAC site and I don't see anything where they define Green vs. Gold anymore ???

From their current web site FAQ, I would say a green sticker is "solid for the grade" and a gold sticker is "premium quality for the assigned grade"

[hr]
    caccoin.com/about-cac/

KNOWING THE GRADE ISN’T ALWAYS ENOUGH. Green and Gold CAC Stickers

SETTING THE STANDARD FOR QUALITY.

A LITTLE STICKER MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE.

Within each number of the coin grading scale is a small range of condition from low-end to high-end. Certified coins of the same grade can be of varying quality. Many of today’s collectors want coins that are solid or premium quality for their assigned grade. CAC holds coins to a higher standard so you can be confident in the value of yours. We verify previously graded coins … and award our sticker only to those coins that meet the standard for today’s selective buyer.

WHAT THE CAC STICKER MEANS:

• Verified. Your coin has been verified as meeting the standard for strict quality within its grade.

• Guaranteed. CAC stands behind our verification by making markets in most actively traded coins.

THE CAC STICKER IS BACKED BY EXPERIENCE.

CAC was founded by leading members of the numismatic community, including John Albanese, a respected authority on coin grading and the rare coin market.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not see that a set number or value makes sense in contrast to the value between grades- Especially at the next grade

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

The submitters BKC must be way over the legal limit to slab a $50 coin in the first place

• Options
    machoponchomachoponcho Posts: 355 ✭✭✭

Around $300 in general.

I have existed since the creation of this world and will exist until its end. Only my form will change. For these 80 human life years, I have the benefit of having a functioning body and consciousness. I will not waste this opportunity.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just before it's time to sell, regardless of value.

I don't pay money for opinions about coins until it matters.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    edited November 6, 2016 11:16AM

Does anyone know about selling stickered coins to CAC? I've never done it so curious about the procedure and how well they pay. Also curious as to how they factor in high premium toning when assesing their buy price if anyone has any first hand knowledge

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭

$150

I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on the circumstances. I sent in a ms64 1923 Peace dollar, generally a $100 coin. Now it had fantastic album toning and stickered. It sold for $500ish if I recall. i highly doubt the depth of bidders would have been present sans sticker.

• Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, first I would have to decide to submit a coin for slabbing. Since I see absolutely no reason to ever do that--CAC is a non-starter for me at any price point.

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Baley said:
    Just before it's time to sell, regardless of value.

I don't pay money for opinions about coins until it matters.

I agree with everything but the "regardless of value" part. I don't think it ever makes sense to sticker a $100 coin unless it could go gold.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file