Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anybody want a Chinese cast counterfeit Trade Dollar for study? (Seriously)

UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

About 8-9 years ago I bought 40 of them, including a few fake seated dollars, one TD housed in a counterfeit pcgs holder, and sent several of them to Don Willis along with the Chinese contact information. These wouldn't fool a seasoned dealer or collector, but an unsuspecting newbie collector could be taken in by them. If anyone wants any for study, or as a conversation piece, please let me know. Cost is $3 each, shipping is a flat $3 for 1 or for all 37. (Most are 1878 CC, S, and p)

I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.

Comments

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do they look like this?
    photo 006-13.jpg

photo 003-14.jpg

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a forum member that catalogs counterfeits... I am sure he would want one... cannot remember his handle right now...(a serious case of CRS)....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Type2 said:
    Do they look like this?
    photo 006-13.jpg

photo 003-14.jpg

They look like the 3rd row down, 3rd from the left. At first glance, rows 4, 5, and 6 look pretty darn good.

I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow those look good. A friend who used to set up at w shows had a bunch of bogus ones in frame on wall in his home w old west background. It was an impressive display when he had a girl over. A stripper stole them after spending nite and he did not notice theft till about week later.

We always wondered what became of them - did she try sell at shop or sell on the Bay?

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

Pm sent. Thanks for doing this. Years ago was burned by buying a fake and this will help me in distinguishing between the real one I now have.

• Options
    RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would also like one to share with my coin club, if there are any left.

"Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • Options

I would like to but two of them

J McCloskey

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file