Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

This one is for the Variety/Cherrypicker Folks

mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

BigDoggie's Jeff Nickel post of the week (1939 DDR #1, FS-801) got me wondering.
Is there a relatively "common" variety that has eluded you? Is there an easy cherrypick variety that you have never found in the wild or roll searching?
For me, it's the above mentioned 1939 Jefferson Nickel (never found one) and the equally elusive (for me) 1963-D 1c DDO #1 ("3/3"). Also never found one.
This is despite looking through many many thousands of each of the dates mentioned.
Heck, I might just have to pony up for the 1963-D #1 one of these days.

Comments

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

One more thing to look for when you are out looking. :wink:

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

i cant seem to find any of the wide spread but under $100 ddo/ddr on roosies, washies, franks bs/proof. im beginning to wonder if it a conspiracy. i dont look at thousands but i do look.

there are many other types that have eluded me, im sure.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

Think of the search as therapy, otherwise if you add up your time as dollars it is always WAY cheaper just to buy one. :-)

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have had decent luck finding Roosie doubled dies, not so much with Franklins though.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not an active collector of DD's, however, I do check change for them... I would keep them if found in the wild.. I do have the Kennedy in my series... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember finding a 1963/3-D in XF or so over two decades ago, playing penny-ante poker at a friend's house just after college (that was all the stakes any of us could afford). I was out of a hand and idly looking through my stack when I spotted it. I haven't found the 1939 DDR in the wild either, though it isn't really a coin I've ever searched for.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yea, well I've never found an 1817/4 half

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file