Home U.S. Coin Forum

Are Private Messages not Private?

messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you look at some people's profiles, it appears as though messages sent from or to them specifically to others may be publicly visible. Is this the case for all PMs, or is there a different, non-private PM flavor hiding somewhere?

Comments

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not trying to be a smart a** and have no idea as to the answer of your question, but I would question if anything is private these days.

• TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:
    If you look at some people's profiles, it appears as though messages sent from or to them specifically to others may be publicly visible. Is this the case for all PMs, or is there a different, non-private PM flavor hiding somewhere?

I thought you were nuts....until I did some random checking of profiles. And, it does appear that the text of some "private" messages are visible. Don't think THAT'S a good idea.....

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

I noticed something weird too, John. Certain messages can be sent and they are akin to "writing on someone's wall" (a facebook thing). They're public for all to see. (You can see these messages under the "activity" link at the very top, along with other notifications.)

They're not PM's which are private, as far as I can tell. I am not sure how they originate...what a forum member does to generate a wall message...and it's hard to test.

Sure would be nice if there were a user's manual or FAQ about this new software.
    Lance.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only see one way of sending a message to another user. Perhaps if I tag an admin here (@MarkStephenson), we'll get an answer.

• robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭

Clicking on a username or icon will bring you to the user's "wall". If you type in the text box on that page, it will post a public message on their "wall".

If you click on the "message" link at the top of that page, you can send them a private message.

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

it is what happens when a user posts to a wall in lieu of an actual PM and it seems like an easy mistake to make, although the wall posts are removable, thankfully.

if there is an actual glitch, i've not yet seen it but everything is still so new.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe robertpr is correct. I visited the "wall" of one person and noticed messages that were meant to be private, but were placed on the wall.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• labloverlablover Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭✭✭

This does not sound good...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:
    I only see one way of sending a message to another user. Perhaps if I tag an admin here (@MarkStephenson), we'll get an answer.

If you click on the Inbox icon at the top of the screen, you can send PM's from there.

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2016 7:10PM

Viewable messages are not PMs. They are public messages posted in the "Activity" box on someone's wall.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK, @robertpr gave an answer that makes sense. I suppose the mods should put a note or warning of some sort that stuff entered there is visible to everyone, make the "wall" private, or disable that feature. I've only ever used the PMs from the inbox icon.

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:

make the "wall" private, or disable that feature.

id like to disable mine. good idea.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭✭

Is their a way to delete pm? Did not see anyplace to do so. You are able to delete them?

Thanks for any replies.

• CertifiedGoldCoinsCertifiedGoldCoins Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2016 7:59PM

@TomB said:
    I believe robertpr is correct. I visited the "wall" of one person and noticed messages that were meant to be private, but were placed on the wall.

Hit "Mark All Viewed" on the Recent Activity page.

Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

As long as it isn't left in the mind , it's probably known to the world.

• dbtunrdbtunr Posts: 614 ✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2016 7:31AM

The wall should not be removed. It is a great thing. When a board member dies, all the RIP notes should go on the person's wall as a permanent tribute for all to easily see. Each person can customize their wall and write pertinent info their as well. You could also have pictures of your favorite coins or your friends, etc. t is the same as the Facebook wall. Get with the times.

Think of the wall as a way for you to let others know what makes you, you.

Edit - I see the issue now. Folks are confusing the "wall" with sending a PM.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have used both.... different purposes.... seems to work well. Cheers, RickO

• MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2016 12:05PM

Imagine my surprise when I received a PM from TomB saying he read my PM to BJ Searles of Collectors Universe ( she has a PM feature here ) .... There was nothing unusual about the PM,
    but, the info was private and although not all that personal, I would have preferred it stayed with the intended recipient . No matter, I never realized there was a Wall, just a PM Box.
    Looks like I need to send an email - won't use the PM's anymore .... :(

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

The whole new PM feature is a COMPLETE MESS!!!!

• dbtunrdbtunr Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    The whole new PM feature is a COMPLETE MESS!!!!

a few weeks back I questioned why they even have a PM function when everyone could use a 3rd party PM system like iMessage, WhatsApp, or Facebook Messenger. I think I got like 10 disagree's on that post. I say the same thing again, use a 3rd party PM function, CLCT could remove it from here, and they could save themselves a ton of IT money supporting something that 3rd party systems are so much better at anyway.

FYI - deleted PM's here are not deleted. They stay in the system forever and are just marked as "deleted" so they don't show up.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would rather have the old PM system that worked than another new 3rd party thing.

I always told my IT group..."IF IT'S NOT BROKE DON'T FIX IT"!!!!! GEEZE!!!!!

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sent you a message and then looked at your info and do not see the message. Where would it be?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

I'm so confused.

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Hello Everybody!

If you would like to PM or "Private Message" a forum user, you should be sure you are sending them a PM and not posting on their "wall."

To send a PM to a forum user, click on the user's name to be messaged, then click on the "Message" link with an image of an unopened envelope in the upper right corner of the profile or wall. This icon will be next to the user's profile image.

Type your message in the field provided and click on "Post Message." This will send the user a notification, via their preferred method, letting them know they have received a PM.

If you would like to post something to a user's wall, click on their username, once their profile page loads, click in the blank field below the word "Activity." Once you have finished your post, click on "Add Comment" to post this comment to the user's wall.

PLEASE NOTE: MESSAGES POSTED ON A USER'S WALL ARE VIEWABLE BY OTHER USERS, NOT JUST THE USER YOU POSTED IT ON.

If you have previously sent or received PM's or wall activity, we encourage you to review your wall and any other user's wall that you have messaged to ensure that you have not posted anything publicly that you wish to be private.

David Talk
    PCGS Set Registry Manager

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file