Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Cincinnati Show Report

I always enjoyed reading other reports from around the country so I thought I'd repay the favor.

I've always rotated between collecting militaria and coins and for about 2 years or so, I've mostly been out of the numismatic game. Went through the Morgan set at the SDB recently and looked over some of the stored away purchases and it gave me a renewed interest to see what was out there to fill some holes with birthday money.

From 2010-2014~ I'd been attending the Greenhills show pretty regularly and just attended again for the first time in nearly 2 years. I was really shocked to see how much quieter it is (and took this as a reflection of the market). Parking lot back then was packed with people making spots, etc - now plenty of parking. Likewise, the entire space felt like it used to be full of dealers. Today it seems dealer presence is down by a third.

In that same vein, it's been very interesting to see softer prices. I picked up a couple of Morgan upgrades I was happy with. Saw some 90% available but the silver market seems very quiet right now. Attendee flow seemed much lighter. Some dealer to dealer activity, but nothing hectic.

Saw a dealer with a 34-s Peace described as AU55 - did seem decent, with a $970 pricetag....guess he was selling it as a 58??

There was a fair selection of graded currency, but nothing really moving there. Didn't see much in gold.

All in all, it was much quieter, and prices seem to have slid a bit in the last 1-2(?) years. Certainly not as many part-timers at the moment...

Scott

Comments

• Options
    BustCudsBustCuds Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

Thank you for taking the time to write the report.

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the report!

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for your report.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for your report..... interesting that it seemed a quiet show.... most reports lately have indicated brisk business... although softer prices in many cases. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting. I like to see show reports from around the country!

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file