Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Was this Columbian cheap or did it sell for too much?

I was watching an auction on Ebay for an 1893 Columbian in PCGS 66. The item was #351887393984 if anyone wanted to look or link the item here. When I look on Heritage it shows greysheet bid at $580. It shows bluesheet bid at $520. I expected that it would sell some where between the 2 amounts. It sold for $446, which I assume was $74 less than sight unseen bid. Are the sheet amounts up to date on the Heritage site or are only updated once in a while and might be out of date? Just asking. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have bought a number of coins below sheet lately on eBay some below blue sheet even. The market is weak.....

In viewing the Columbian I think it did well getting that much. With its dark, unattractive toning consider it low end. A nice 64 will fill the hole nicely and for much less! While I would offer about 20 pct behind bid on a nice 66 specimen from my table, I would pass completely on that one.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another strike against this coin is that you can find so many Columbian halves with beautiful, rich toning that definitely enhances the overall appearance. This ain't one of 'em.

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    TJM965TJM965 Posts: 446 ✭✭✭

So where is the sheet for this coin if the sight unseen (bluesheet) is not relevant. Where is the sheet that shows it is only worth $200, $150, $100 or less?

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm with them, I would of passed.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is no catch all sheet for problem or unattractive coins.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Columbian half dollars are quite common, and they have to be really nice with good eye appeal to bring strong prices, like $400 to $600. This coin appears to have so-so luster and less than stellar overall eye appeal. It does not matter what the "cheap sheet" says it's worth if most collectors don't find the coin to be attractive and a quite bit better than average.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BustCudsBustCuds Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

Not all coins can be priced at sheets, each coin stands on its' own merits.

• Options

There is no set floor for a dog of a coin lol - try melt.

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    Columbian half dollars are quite common, and they have to be really nice with good eye appeal to bring strong prices, like $400 to $600. This coin appears to have so-so luster and less than stellar overall eye appeal. It does not matter what the "cheap sheet" says it's worth if most collectors don't find the coin to be attractive and a quite bit better than average.

This!!

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ugly.

• Options

What seems to be is that there really is not a bid for unseen coins and that the bluesheet is a fake. Am I right in assuming that?

• Options
    KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

If a collector picked it up, it may have been a "good deal" . If a dealer/flipper picked it up, they may have the same problem as the collector will - finding the next owner. As others have said, does not appear to be a good buy.

One could find a real nice example of the same date in Pcgs65 for the same money, or less

• Options

@Kccoin said:
    If a collector picked it up, it may have been a "good deal" . If a dealer/flipper picked it up, they may have the same problem as the collector will - finding the next owner. As others have said, does not appear to be a good buy.

One could find a real nice example of the same date in Pcgs65 for the same money, or less

I am sure that one could find a nice 65 for the same money. Now bring it to a dealer for an offer. Above a dealer said he would offer 20% back of sheet for a nice example. Bid is $325. That means he would offer $260 for it. Right away you would have a nice loss around $150. That's assuming he meant back of grey sheet and not bluesheet which is bid at $220 making your loss at least $225. Also the Pop for 66 is only 243 with only 30 better. Although a common commen., not so in 66 or above.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2016 2:57PM

I can't tell that this coin is "unattractive" from the fuzzy photos provided. I'm just not as good as everyone else. A crescent of brown toning is by itself not unattractive, especially in the luster is booming on the otherwise 80% white surfaces. Chances are the coin was once dipped and that's secondary toning. That would be more of a problem to me.

Hard to believe that back in 1990 MS65's were $3500...and they peaked over $4,000 in May 1989. Pops were relatively tiny back then. Plenty of demand and almost no supply.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

No eye appeal. I think someone over paid

M

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:

M

Can a 66 with eye appeal be bought at anywhere near $450?

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TJM965 said:

@Justacommeman said:

M

Can a 66 with eye appeal be bought at anywhere near $450?

Maybe. But $450 for one with no eye appeal could be over paying. This is the part of the market that has yet to find a bottom. Low might not be low enough

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like justacommeman said, good luck finding a bottom on some of the commem market!

Here's one of mine that I enjoy...

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the coin is OK (not great, but OK) and not really a dog as a few have said.
    My guess is that the possible buyers didn't feel the coin was a 66.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SeattleSlammer said:
    Like justacommeman said, good luck finding a bottom on some of the commem market!

Here's one of mine that I enjoy...

SeattleSlammer, I have a Columbian half with similar toning, but it is the reverse that is toned. It is also PCGS MS64, but is an 1892, if I recall correctly.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes sir, it's definitely the prevailing color theme for this particular commem...some variation on blues and plums.

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Columbians are so common that, as a rule, it has to be exceptional to sell for big bucks. This one in particular would have probably done better if it didn't have the unattractive toning.

Cheers

Bob

• Options

The MS64 Columbian shown above is the one I would use to fill the hole.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SeattleSlammer said:
    Yes sir, it's definitely the prevailing color theme for this particular commem...some variation on blues and plums.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but here is my PCGS MS64-

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

I saw where a raw AU Columbian went for $9.56 on ebay. I believe I will buy some Columbian Circs 4 fun......and add to my Barber 50c pieces that are G / VG picking up a couple bucks over melt. Enjoy your MS 66 big ticket ones.......

• Options
    DancingFireDancingFire Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

Classic commems are very cheap now.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file