Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Whats your opinion of this Trade $, like or dislike ?

TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

This Trade $ is not certified, but I am considering buying it. What do you think of it? It's a common date that are easily found, but for some reason I am liking this look.

Trade $'s

Comments

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the originality of it, the eye appeal is ok.

• Options
    FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not for me. Splotchy-ness and darkness turn me off.

• Options
    slider23slider23 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭✭

I like it as it looks genuine and original.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm with afford and slider23.....nice original silver coin.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love it! Appears to have been stored in a leather pouch. Coins like this are just so cool.

peacockcoins

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doing nothing for me. Hope you like it if you buy it.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doesn't say original to me. Says environmental damage. Not my cup of tea.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely not for me.... looks like it spent time in a barroom spittoon...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

On the fence with this one....I would not pay a premium for it. I don't like the red patch on the reverse. But you know far more about Trade Dollars than I do, so it must have something going for it that I don't fully appreciate.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Im with Greg, not loving the red patch. Id be chicken to buy a raw Trade dollar anyway, but I know its your series.

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not for me but have no grounds to criticize anyone who finds it to their liking.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wabbit2313 said:
    Doing nothing for me. Hope you like it if you buy it.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not something that appeals to me.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like some one worked on it before re-toning it. But has a lot of meat to her if at the right price I would of picked it up. :/

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks original and Sharp but too dark for my liking

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neutral eye appeal. Doesn't add much. Doesn't detract much.

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the opinions. I thought it would be about 50% like and 50% dislike, but I think more do not like the look. I would come closer to buying it if it were graded, I think it would grade at 55-58 based on what I can see. But for now I am going to pass.

Trade $'s
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

too splotchy, looks like some tobacco juice in some places :#

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, but I don't find that look does a whole lot for me.

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does your coin look more like this? Nice coin!

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trade dollars are one area that I wouldn't dare touch outside of TPG plastic. Too many counterfeits.

• Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭

Not a coin that I would want to add to the collection.

To each his own.

Mike

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks original

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Definitely not for me.... looks like it spent time in a barroom spittoon...Cheers, RickO

Would this be considered AT? ;)

Paul
  • Options

@pmac...Not if it landed there accidentally.... such as a drunk fumbled and dropped it.... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BodanBodan Posts: 14 ✭✭

A really good looking collector coin. An "investor" would probably pass, but this coin seems to carry with it the badge of deep history of the far-ranging US Trade Dollar. The coin's imperfections speak of its 138-year old personality and role in commerce in the 19th Century. If the price is right, nothing wrong with this baby. Good luck.

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not for me. Too messy looking.

• Options
    AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭

I don't care for the look, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you like it, buy it. I will say though that it will be a tough sell when the time comes.

Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks crusty and original, but possible environmental damage..

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it because I don't think it's been cleaned. It would be something that I would keep raw and put in an album.

I wouldn't want it for my PCGS type set. It wouldn't fit the look.

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:

don't be so shy B)

LCoopie = Les
  • Options

I tend to hold back a lot.... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭

The coin , I think would benefit from some lite conservation. The red areas maybe some organic material and are not natural to the coin. There is a nice original skin but the other areas are distracting maybe acetone would be helpful. I am a toner fan but this one is more on the cusp of damage as it appears at least to my eyes.

• Options
    earlycoinsearlycoins Posts: 282 ✭✭✭

Sorry. Don't like it. Especially what appears to the reeding damage. Just not for me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file