Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1971-D Ike Dollar FEV

stashstash Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭
edited October 30, 2016 9:32AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Not bad for 9 bucks and an earlier die state too . Seller thought it was in XF/AU condition too ..

1971-D Ike Dollar - FEV Variety - XF/AU - K195
Item price $9.00
Quantity 1
Item number 371746566063
Shipping service USPS Parcel Select Ground

Here's the link to ebay, prices isn't right, that's why I posted the purchase details above, coin was 40% off .
http://www.ebay.com/itm/371746566063?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Comments

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

for $9, it is alright. not sure i'd buy dozens at that price for the apparent grade. images prob make it look worse than is. if a true nice mid-au, a few at that price wouldnt kill ya. i bought an unc recently hoping for 64/65 for $2.

ive also paid $75 for pcgs 65s. tough to sell at $125

they are neat varieties/marriages and this reverse comes on the 71s and possibly others. when i saw the 71s, i thought i hit the mother load. rotfl.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 834 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the FEV and its backstory. I looked this one over for FEV subvarieties (of which there are a number), but did not see anything. Check the MM for RPM notching.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • Options

@SPalladino said:
    I love the FEV and its backstory. I looked this one over for FEV subvarieties (of which there are a number), but did not see anything. Check the MM for RPM notching.

I'll check out the " 1 " in the date and so on ..
    Post some images shortly ....

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've made a lot of money on that variety :smiley:

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

@cmerlo1 said:
    I've made a lot of money on that variety :smiley:

I bet that was some years ago though. Lately they are just not worth the effort. Pop has grown too high....the fate of most moderns.

• Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2016 3:48PM

Cool friendly eagle variety. I have a bunch of IKE's I need to go through. Should be a series that grows in popularity down the road.

• Options

@SPalladino said:

Here's some images, the Mint-Mark looks doubled, along with the date .

• Options

@stash said:

@SPalladino said:

Now check the Y in LIBERTY for any evidence of a die crack. If there, It starts just left of the Y and crosses over to the right in a slingshot fashion. Not sure if I see it there in the photo, but maybe.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • Options

@PocketArt said:
    Should be a series that grows in popularity down the road.

>
    50th anniversary in less than 5 years. I doubt there will be the US Mint hoopla that went down for the Kennedy Half 50th. But maybe....just a dreamer dreaming.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • Options

@SPalladino said:

@stash said:

@SPalladino said:

Now check the Y in LIBERTY for any evidence of a die crack. If there, It starts just left of the Y and crosses over to the right in a slingshot fashion. Not sure if I see it there in the photo, but maybe.

Ya there is, it runs off the tip of the " Y " ( left ) heading Northwest to the rim .

• Options

@SPalladino said:

@stash said:

@SPalladino said:

Here's the image of the crack ..

67u.jpg 191.6K
  • Options

This coin is known for both the RPM (third of the identified FEV RPMs) and for the "slingshot" Y (when the die crack fully crosses the Y). In the DIVa catalogue, it is currently listed as 1D1-403. As we add the RPMs, it will have dual listing as 1D1-503.
    $9 for circulated FEV?...meh.
    $9 for a nice circulated 1D1-403 / 1D1-503?...nice pick!

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • Options

@SPalladino said:
    This coin is known for both the RPM (third of the identified FEV RPMs) and for the "slingshot" Y (when the die crack fully crosses the Y). In the DIVa catalogue, it is currently listed as 1D1-403. As we add the RPMs, it will have dual listing as 1D1-503.
    $9 for circulated FEV?...meh.

Thanks Steve for everything ...

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SPalladino said:

+1

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool variety.
    Nice 'pick, Stash.
    Great pics too.
    Good info from SPalladino !

• Options

PCGS MS66 CAC example:

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well darn....now I have to go check my stash of Ike's.....Thanks for the great pictures... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file