Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Improperly annealed or just bizarre toning?

PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked up this Kennedy yesterday in a coin bin, at a pawn shop, while out buying some silver. I was wondering if any of you would know if this is an improperly annealed planchet or just toning?

Thanks,

Rich

025.JPG 129.5K
005.JPG 145.9K

Comments

• Options

Looks like a blow torch or lighter damage B) Most annealing errors are more uniform across the coin.We also see most annealing errors on clad coins(after 1964).Maybe it 's a create an error/toneing.Whats the slab say?

Mark Anderson
  • Options

Thanks Coinstudy, the coin came out of a silver bin at pawn shop, I have it in a hard plastic 2x2.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

toned. doesn't look like an error of any type from the images.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    toned. doesn't look like an error of any type from the images.

This.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is how they should look I have some rolls some darker then others "Black Beauty" Jefferson Nickel's that are Improperly Annealed.

photo DSCF2218.jpg

photo DSCF2214_1.jpg

photo DSCF8124.jpg

photo DSCF8116.jpg

;)photo DSCF8119.jpg

photo DSCF8113.jpg

This is what some sellers say about them.

These Jefferson Nickels minted in 1959, are utterly unique rarities. Reason being - both obverse and reverse are black.

When discovered, they were understandably nicknamed "Black Beauties" in homage to the midnight tones of this one of a kind piece.

The distinctive black finish comes from an improperly handled annealing process. Annealing is the process of heating the planchet to ready it for striking. The planchets are then placed in a large furnace warmed by gas heaters to "relax" the metal. They are then passed through a washing solution to remove tarnish, which gives the planchets (coins) the familiar "BU" (Brilliant Uncirculated) finish.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting .... was not familiar with the 'black beauty' Jeffersons... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Great information Type2, wasn't aware of the 1959 Jefferson "Black Beauties" either. Nice examples!

• Options

I have found them not only in 1959's but 58's,1957 as well. I guess it could happen in any date if they cook them to long. :D You can look at a clear plastic tube and see the darker one's in the tube they stick out like a soar thumb.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

There you go..... B)

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

Very sweet Lee- thanks for posting example, and appreciate insight all.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file