Home Metal Detecting
Options

Anyone ever find an old gun while out metal detecting?

MizzouMizzou Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭

If so, was it in working condition or pretty much rusted away?

Sometimes I think that animals are smarter than humans, animals would never allow the dumbest one to lead the pack

Comments

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rusted away..................................and it was a toy gun.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭✭

only a few toy guns here too. Nothing exciting and all junk.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

found a few hubley toy guns all in pieces but just the same. nothing real

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭

Guys who detect in rivers seem to find the most guns. Guns fall out of boats and are waiting to be found.

• Options
    LeroyLeroy Posts: 186 ✭✭✭

I've noticed that when a gun is found in a creek, it's usually pretty close to an bridge. Probably not a coincidence.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not yet, but I hunt old home sites.... would love to find an old musket pistol....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    HiBuckyHiBucky Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

I have found two guns .. ONe is from 1820 and the other is from 1840 .. I think it time to try to post a picture with the new format. I also found some newer ones that I have included.

• Options
    HiBuckyHiBucky Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

Better picture..War of 1812 belt plate. Two French and Indian War escutcheons. Rosette of Benjamin Harrison (Very Rare) a cane head of Benjamin Harrison and dated 1888 with his VP and Republican . $5.00 gold ..1655 cob, 1540 hammered penny found in WNY

• Options

@HiBucky...very nice display and some marvelous finds there..... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Those revolvers are not from 1820 and 1840. I presume you mean the two percussion barrels and tangs in the top right.

I'll bet with a new mainspring, I could get that S&W to function again.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found a rusted out old Colt from the 1800's in the sand dunes next to the Carson River, years ago. Not much left but the rusted frame. I relocated it to the bottom of the river with a good toss.
    Only one.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

HiBucky, That's what I'm talking about. I knew there had to be some old guns laying around just waiting to be dug up. Those are really cool, if I ever find one like that I'll put it in one of those deep picture frames and hang it on the wall.

Sometimes I think that animals are smarter than humans, animals would never allow the dumbest one to lead the pack

• Options

Found a small cal boot pistol years ago....I'll find the pic and post.

"A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes"--Hugh Downs
  • Options

@windwhispersintrees... look forward to your picture.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    windwhispersintreeswindwhispersintrees Posts: 605 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2, 2016 4:45PM

Wow. Hard to believe this was back in 2003. This is a spur trigger boot pistol...something like .22 cal. I believe it's late 19th or early 20th C. Was found while searching the banks along a dried up old swimming hole. You can see one side of the cylinder has entirely rusted away. The first pics are obviously as found...the rest are after electrolysis and a coating of wax. It looks a little wonky in the after photos because of the thick wax and the lower quality of the old camera photo.
    I never made the connection until now, but I recall reading in local history about a bank robbery, where the escape was made through the general area where this was found. Wonder if there was any connection, or just some local lost it while swimming. Man, that old area brings back great memories...found lots of Indian Head cents, teens Lincolns, some Seated and Barber dimes, a few rings...that site was really good to me.

"A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes"--Hugh Downs
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2016 4:56PM

A non-S&W spur trigger revolver could be from as early as 1870, which is when the Rollin White patent expired.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

I too have found toys (Hubley cap pistols and the like), but never a real gun. Just hardware from them (an escutcheon plate and ramrod guides off Brown Bess muskets, a hammer off another flintlock, etc.)

Finding one in a creek near a bridge would give me the creeps, due to the implications of what it might have been used for and how it got there. If such a find wasn't obviously a century old, I'd probably report it to law enforcement.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

Someday I'd like to find an old gun like that. I've dug up just about anything that you can imagine other than a gun.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never dug a whistle, either, for some reason. A silver Washington quarter from the 1930s also is on the list of "stuff I should've dug by now but haven't". (On many occasions, friends right next to me have found them. I of course have the later silver ones.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.