Home Metal Detecting
Options

Oct 24, 2016: Gold ring, 5 silvers, and some other keepers

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 24, 2016 6:35PM in Metal Detecting

Got out today to Silver Beach. The first four coins were 3 wheat cents and a buffalo nickel. Relatively early in the hunt got a shallow lower tone. Saw the great sight of a ring! Took it out, and upon inspection, it looked like maybe British, and could see 14 ct. Alright!
Put it away and kept going. Ended with two silver Washington quarters, 2 mercs, and a silver Roosevelt. I believe also got about 12 wheat cents. Got another buffalo nickel. Also got a couple of lead soldiers. That thing under the car I think was once a ring, but the shank broke, and got stretched. Took a few seconds to figure out what it was.
Got the ring home and see “Made in Ireland.” Looks like a manufacturer and date letter too, but with my NEW computer being a pain, and crappy internet, I don’t feel like playing with the photos to get a closeup. Ring weighs 2.8 grams.

HH all!

Comments

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like it was Christmas at the beach with all the different stuff that you found.

• Options
    edited October 24, 2016 9:02PM

Thanks PPC! Feels good to get out there again.

Final count on the wheat cents is 11. The coins are getting deeper, and seem to be getting in worth condition. Here's a breakout of the wheat dates (dl = dateless): dl, 47, 41, 29, dl, dl, dl, 51, dl, dl, 44. Anyone care to guess the combined weight of the 11? Supposed to be 3.11 grams a piece.

Silver coins are pretty busted too.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... quite a haul.... it is amazing how much you have taken from that beach... sometime you should total it all up..it certainly has been most productive. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

You, you you...... damn.

Good looking gold ring!
    It's a modern one. Date letter appears to be 1995. Irish made (at that time, Hibernia mark that precedes the date letter was used exclusively on Irish manufactured items).
    I can't find a match for the maker's mark. I'm sure the info is out there somewhere. Most sites have holes in their info regarding maker's marks.

I see you got some other great stuff as well. The lead items are interesting, and silver coins are always great of course.

I echo Ricko's comments about adding it all up. The numbers would be staggering.
    Not to mention a picture with all gold and silver, if you still have most of it. That would suck big time. :D
    (Hmph, this new "big grin" smiley is a downgrade from the old one)

Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options

Thanks Zot. I had searched for Irish Date Stamps but didn't have much luck. Found one website, but it was a list about a mile long. Not like the websites for British hallmarks. I also struck out finding info on the manufacturer.

Figured it was newer, because it wasn't that deep.

Alright, you guys win. I'll get a total for this Beach shortly. Have been curious on totals too.

• Options

Site for Irish date stamps in case you find another one (as you probably will!)

www.assay.ie --> Symbols and dates guide --> date letters

• Options

wow! Now that's a more productive site than what I looked at. Thanks! It does look like 1995 is a good candidate for the year.

Ok, here are the stats for Silver Beach:

Total Trips: 42

Total Cents: 1043 ($10.43)
    Nickels.........395 ($19.75)
    Dimes...........355 ($35.50)
    Quarters......155 ($38.70)
    Half Dollars..2 ($1.00)
    Dollars.........2 ($2.00) (two Susan B Anthony Dollars)

Total face: $107.43
    Total Coins: 1,952

Wheat Cents: 465
    Silver Coins: 255
    Other older coins such as Buffalo nickels, V Nickels, etc: 107
    Silver other than coins: 68
    Pieces of gold: 28

Not too bad!

• Options

@pcgs69 said:
    Silver Coins: 255
    Silver other than coins: 68
    Pieces of gold: 28

Not too bad!

:o

• Options
    1neatstuff1neatstuff Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

wow great pictures and nice finds

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pcgs69 ...VERY impressive.... that is one SUPER productive site... Congratulations. Cheers, RickO