Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Type Set slabbed or dansco 7070 or ?

Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭
I know there are many type collectors out there.
I was wondering the different ways of doing type sets.

I have a "newer" 7070 with the 5th page having the moderns. Bicentennial, susan b, sacagewia, state quarter and silver eagle. No gold page would love to, but I'm not a ceo.

I wanted a "pretty set". Trying to be xf or better. Not too much money involved, trying to stay close to 100/coin, more if need be, toned if possible, and use dates that have personal significance ie birthdates of loved ones etc. when possible. Dont know anybody from 1833, but have 2 coins with that date.

For all you "crackers" out there, I try to buy raw but have cracked a few. Lots of toners are slabbed.

Whew, lots of rules huh? Whats everyone else doing?

Chime in on your type sets, post some pics :)

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

hundred bucks a coin, you won't be able to do well at XF in a 7070. Just buy what you like, call it a type set. That's what I did until I needed $ to buy some special half dimes, then I sold the type set.

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 22, 2016 4:19PM

Reminded me of one of my early posts here on the forum where I had similar thoughts. It's easy to crack out the coins of relatively lower value... but much harder to do so with the higher value coins... especially if you think you may end up upgrading later. Gets really expensive to have to resubmit coins and then hope you get the same grades.

Check out my old thread here:

Cracker's Remorse Thread - Second Thoughts on the Dansco 7070

:)

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

I first did a raw "Fine or better" 7070 back when I was "just starting out", and convinced myself that "slabbed coins are for rich people". Loved doing is so much, I started again with slabbed coins. (Either I got rich, or I was mistaken). ;)

Still have the majority of the first attempt in the 7070, where they will stay. It's a great way to display a set!

Never been a "cracker". I figure there really is value in the certification process, and I don't want to throw it away.

BUT: A couple of weeks ago I put together a raw submission of random items I picked up along the way for PCGS. And there was something about handling those raw coins that was exciting and fun. Huge Morgans, ancient Draped Bust halves, discontinued 2-Cent pieces.

Made me realize what we have lost by requiring slabbed coins now-a-days. Sad, really.

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 7070 has been idling for too long waiting for the right Seated Dollars to come along.
    I bought a slabbed VF 1842 with intentions of cracking it but couldn't bring myself to do it.
    I still plan on going that route.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    illini420
    your old thread is what I was after in my thread. Thanks, take the wind right out of my sail 8 yrs ago,sheesh :p

TommyType-
    I'm about 3/4 done with the 7070
    Have really enjoyed doing it.
    The old style of coinage is amazing,
    And you are right, something about actually touching some of these. Half cents, busts and seated liberty, ms morgans. Just plain cool.

What do you use to display your slabbed set?

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a great time completing the 7070 album. There's a thread or two about it, but all the pictures got wiped in the forum "upgrade". I had such a good time working on that album, I started a second one. There's a thread about that, too but the pics are gone from there as well. Also have some certified type coins that are beyond the scope of the Dansco, I'd show some pics of those coins, but, alas.. well, you know. Anyway, have fun with your album!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    aclocoacloco Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

My Type Set (no gold page) has had several additions in the last week. UNC when I can and coins that say something to me when I see them.

Successful BST transactions with: jp84, WaterSport, Stupid, tychojoe, Swampboy, dragon, Jkramer, savoyspecial, ajaan, tyedye, ProofCollection, Broadstruck x2, TwinTurbo, lordmarcovan, devious, bumanchu, AUandAG, Collectorcoins (2x), staircoins, messydesk, illini420, nolawyer (10x & counting), peaceman, bruggs, agentjim007, ElmerFusterpuck, WinLoseWin, RR, WaterSports, KeyLargRareCoins, LindeDad, Flatwoods, cucamongacoin, grote15, UtahCoin, NewParadigm, smokincoin, sawyerjosh x3
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been Type collector since the 1960s. Back then there were no certified coins, let alone slabs. I started out with the two volume "Library of Coins" album set for type coins. For whatever reasons I used those albums as a guide as to what to get rather than as a storeage device. I had concerns about album slides marking the coins. I used envelopes and envelope liners for storage in addition Capital Plastcs holders for my better coins.

Over the years I advanced greatly as a collector. I now have a complete type which from the half cents to the twenty dollar gold pieces from the 1792 half disme to the modern era. Everything is certified and in the slabs. I keep virtually everything in safe deposit boxes.

Albums are nice, but I find myself looking more at them than individual coins. I like to study each piece in detail. That's why I have not used albums for many years.

Every collector is different. My coins have a level of value where they need to be certified because of their high cost. The cost of cracking everything out would prohibitive for me. For others albums allow the collector to enjoy his or her set in total. It really is a matter of personal preference.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a Dansco 7070 album and have been working on it for 14 years. I am still regularly seeking upgrades, all of which are now cracked out of slabs, as I no longer attend coin shows and don't really trust raw coins on eBay. It has been a great way to learn about different series and I love looking at it. It's my favorite album. I also have two registry sets so everything has to be slabbed for those. As Bill said, financially and practically, some of those coins are too valuable to keep raw. And it is easier to examine them individually in the slabs.
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sandman70gt said:

Unfortunately, I don't know of any great way to do that. Mine are in boxes, ordered by denomination, type, and date. That's hardly a "display".

Maybe one of the album makers, (Dansco, Whitman, etc), needs to bang their heads against a table and develop a "Slab Album"?! Nice covered book, with sturdy pages, and slots for SLABS! Easily removed for closer examination...sturdy enough to hold them when the album is shelved or carried. Probably not an easy task.

(Just having to deal with 3 or 4 or 5 slab companies and slab sizes makes that difficult.....)

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used the 7070 coin listings for my PCGS holdered set.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TommyType said:

@Sandman70gt said:

Unfortunately, I don't know of any great way to do that. Mine are in boxes, ordered by denomination, type, and date. That's hardly a "display".

Maybe one of the album makers, (Dansco, Whitman, etc), needs to bang their heads against a table and develop a "Slab Album"?! Nice covered book, with sturdy pages, and slots for SLABS! Easily removed for closer examination...sturdy enough to hold them when the album is shelved or carried. Probably not an easy task.

(Just having to deal with 3 or 4 or 5 slab companies and slab sizes makes that difficult.....)

The Eagle coin holder company has done that. The trouble is the first generation of their none PVC plastic was too brittle and broke up too easily. They have since addressed that problem to a degree. One other problem is that the new PCGS slabs are thicker and won't fit in the old holders. I don't know if Eagle has addressed that yet.

Still to hold a complete type sets, you would need a lot of albums. The Eagle slab holder album 9 slots per page. My NGC registry based type set has at 160 coins coin in it. If you include all of the State and American the Beautiful quarters, you are pushing toward 250 coins. If you add the old and new commemoratives, you are well over 300 coins, heading toward 400.

I have most all of these coins, but they are not all certified. Proof sets take care of a lot of the modern coins for me. The NGC registry only has one representative type for the State and American the Beautiful quarters in its list, thank goodness.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like those plastic pages for my slabbed coins, but the pages are crazy expensive. I havent seen an official album for a particular set, but it would be easy enough to manufacture.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm working on a U.S Design Set of slabbed coins. As nice as I can afford. From G to MS.

Then I have a 7070 @Barndog kindly sent me for a few bucks that I plug away at regardless of grade. I get a lot of enjoyment out of that album. I've never cracked out a coin to put in it but I have taken a few out to send up to the Mother Ship for encapsulation.

• Options
    csdotcsdot Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

Here is one way to create a slabbed 7070 style album. Start with a 3 ring notebook and put the slabs in 9 per page baseball card sheets.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

For those building an actual 7070 in the album, and are concerned about "cracking" nice (i.e expensive) coins for the tougher spaces, consider a lightly cleaned AU with faint hairlines in or out of a "genuine" holder if you can find one that fits the look of your set, as it may tone a bit with storage and may even grade upon resubmission someday, if chosen well.

After all, these can often be had at bargain prices (Don't overpay for problem coins), and "the look" in the album will more closely match your high grade moderns. Obviously this isn't such a good idea for collectors who turn over and sell their collections often, more geared toward someone who has a decade to invest in storing the album in a SDB or other secure location

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file