Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My Mercury set is complete

MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 21, 2016 6:21PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I have bought complete sets and sold them, and sold a complete set at the last Baltimore show. But...this is the first time I have put together a complete set myself. The last coin, the 42/1 was from Michael Kittle. This is how this set was put together. I bought a bag of $500 worth of Mercury dimes at the last Baltimore show, and it took me about a month to search the bag to put together a set. As you can imagine, the dates missing were 1916 D, 42/1 and.... 1931 P, but had a 21 P and D. I probably had a 1931 P, but I had placed a 1931 D in the hole. At first I was filling an old blue Whitman folder and didn't double check the reverses, and I ran into a new bookshelf album at a local shop for $5, so I bought it. It isn't a super high grade set, but I'm happy I finally completed a Mercury dime set!

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com

Comments

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a nice feeling when you complete a set. Nice way to do it too.

• Options
    Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats! Gotta love merc dimes. Cool how you built it from a bag, for the most part, must have been fun and challenging.

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice - crack out the 2 PCGS coins and complete the book!

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very happy to be able to help you complete your set with that 1942/1 Mercury Dime!

Well done and congrats!

:+1:

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats!
    That's what it's all about.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    csdotcsdot Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

What is the a average grade, and how long did it take you to complete? Great accomplishment.

• Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭

That's awesome. Too bad the bad didn't have that 42/1 :)

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've have never personally owned a 1916-D. Some day though...

Congrats on the accomplishment, and the upgrades to come.

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

completing a mercury dime set is so rewarding?
    congratulations.
    See you at PAN?

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations! I was able to assemble this set in FINE, minus the 21 21d 16d and overdate, from circulation, but that was in 1959 as a new 6 year-old collector... :)

Back then, a FINE meant the vertical lines in the fasces were all visible.
    Talk about grade inflation !

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done! Pretty surprising you found the 21P and D in what was likely sold as a 'junk silver' bag!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭

I'm working on a Mercury dime set too; however, I only add to the set with my metal detector, lol. After three years, I have 29 different dates/mintmarks, plus a pile of duplicates.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations... and a fun way to do it. Makes for a nice display too. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kudos! Must feel good.
    Lance.

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good for you, great way to display it too.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭

great set and put together in a fun manner. I think mercury's are one of the best sets and really attractive at all levels of wear. These coins were real workers in commerce all through the run the dime had buying power in that era.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on completing the set!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good job! Fun set to do and roll searching makes it even more fun!
    :D

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found your post incredibly refreshing to read. Thank you and enjoy your set!

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really enjoyed the "thrill of the hunt" putting this set together. Honestly, I would not have thought the bag would contain so many different dates. After talking with several dealers two said they had found the 42/1 in bags they had bought and searched. None of the dealers said they had found the 1916 D.

Like I stated in the New Market, MD Coin Show thread, several dealers put together circulated sets. After I brought out my circ. sets and started walking around trying to fill holes, several others brought theirs out and started walking around looking for coins.

I cannot wait for Trick-or-Treat and give out foreign coins carded and attributed to KM.

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

That sounds like FUN. Congratulations!

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭

B)

Becky
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MICHAELDIXON said:

I cannot wait for Trick-or-Treat and give out foreign coins carded and attributed to KM.

Now that's one that I'll have to try!

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been able to put together a few rolls of Mercs from the junk silver store in VF+ grades for melt. Not found too many better dates that way though

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats on completion of the set. Mercury Dimes are my favorite series.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭

nice. I am thinking of doing a raw set.

haven't decided if I would do mercs, walkers, or peace dollars.

WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options
    AstroJoeAstroJoe Posts: 304 ✭✭✭

Congratulations!

Joe

Everything is all right!
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

I made a complete set ,less the 16-D , from circulation back in the early 1960's.

• Options
    panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

The thrill of the hunt is what drives me as a collector as well as applying order to chaos. Sorting through a bag of mercs to complete and present a set hits all the right buttons! Congrats!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file