Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The "My Discussions" feature.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I noticed this feature and decided to try it to see what my first started thread was. Unsurprisingly, it was way back in 2002 and was asking about SMS issues.

The surprise was the respondents. There were nine unique members who replied and only two are still active. Where in the heck do we all go?? Try the feature, you might get a laugh.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    thecointraderthecointrader Posts: 480 ✭✭
    edited October 21, 2016 2:12PM

I've been lurking here since 1999... and a forum member since 2001... and I've seen many members come and go. The numismatic knowledge I have gained is immense, yet it saddens me when I think about those who are gone for various reasons. This board holds a lot of fond memories -- and some sad ones as well -- but the only constant is change. People move on to other collecting interests, some move 'across the street', some suffer financial or familial hardships, and sadly some pass on (RIP Bear). They live on through the knowledgable (and sometimes humerous) posts they made on these forums (anyone remember BONGO BONGO?!) and the various contributions they have made to the hobby in general. If you, keets, were to leave us today (please don't), I would fondly remember the many contributions you have made over the last dozen or more years as I have worked to build my own collection. Those contributions hold value to me. Sometimes I ponder the contributions of all of the members who are no longer here and I consider posting a Comprehensive Thank You to our 'Forum Ghosts', noting each of their individual contributions so that new members will be enlightened. Even the 'bad' things I have seen have been a learning experience (the member who was caught artificially toning Morgan Dollars some years back, the sad story of Cammie, etc). Sadly, my busy schedule always has me procrastinating this idea of a "Thank You to our Forum Ghosts", which is why I rarely post on the forum as it is. Anyway, like I said, the only constant is change. The turnover here doesn't seem any greater than at the non-hobby forums that I visit, and we are fortunate to have the benefit of some numismatic heavyweights who have been fixtures here for many, many moons. Just some thoughts from a longtime lurker... and life long collector... who still has the first collectible coin he ever purchased way back in 1965. (BTW... This is my first post on this new software. I miss being able to see what city everyone is from).

"Giving away an MS-65 $20 St. Gaudens to everyone logged in when I make my 10,000th post..."
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just perused it. I was more patient back a few years :D

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

cointrader, thanks for the kind words and thoughtful post. like many members here, I lurked as you do but not for long. back when I first found this place it seems each visit got a little longer until I finally joined, was greeted and accepted. from the standpoint of my collection and overall knowledge it was about the best thing I ever did.

it is hard to comprehend the fact that for over 14 years now I visit this site almost every day.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will do that Al... should be interesting... I have been here through two previous iterations (the one in 2001 zero'd us all out) ..... many have left over the years... some just drifted away. I know I have changed a bit... kinda mellow now.. :) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a neat feature, thanks for pointing that out, Al. Hard to believe I've been around here for, like, 7 years.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file