Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1942 Glass Cent Patterns

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 8, 2019 4:05AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Just ran across the 1942 Glass Cent Pattern which has been in the news recently. This is a 1942 cent pattern struck by the Blue Ridge Glass Company using US Mint dies. The dies were prepared by Mint engraver John Sinnock with a obverse portrait of Liberty copied from the Columbia two centavos and a reverse using a wreath designed by Anthony Paquet in the mid-nineteenth century.

Not sure if it's been posted here yet or not, but it looks pretty cool!

Comments

• Options

Pretty cool, but how do you grade this coin a Proof? I've always said that "Proof" is a method of manufacture for coins.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting.
    Thanks for posting.
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2016 1:07AM

Not only can glass be graded as Proof, so can plastic, as is this related PCGS PR63 red plastic version (which still needs a TrueView).

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

This must be the one that sold on ebay some time ago? Cool piece for sure.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great piece.... I like that ... what is the price on the glass '42?.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope Oreville landed that one. That would be a significant addition to his '42 experimental cent collection.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is another PR63 that the planchet is broken;

http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/12250/63

The break lines do not match the OBV (curved crack) and REV (straight crack). Strange.

Here is the recent auction result from Stacks Bowers - https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-518ZO

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SomeGuyFromMichigan said:
    Pretty cool, but how do you grade this coin a Proof? I've always said that "Proof" is a method of manufacture for coins.

Well, it's certainly not a business strike, as method of manufacture for this one is clearly outside the norms for a business strike. A specimen striking is typically specially treated business strike done on the same presses. Patterns are typically graded as proofs, so calling this a proof makes sense in that respect.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's REALLY cool!

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

If glass was successfully used to make cents, then the Pretenders could have altered their single "Glass in Pocket"

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super Cool

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting stuff

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool stuff.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting that auction.... expensive, but I actually thought it would have gone for more. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

way cool, i like

• Options
    EvilMCTEvilMCT Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

I've never heard of these before. Thanks for the info.

my knuckles, they bleed, on your front door
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2016 1:39PM

@EvilMCT said:
    I've never heard of these before. Thanks for the info.

The experimental 1942 cents are listed on page 385 of the 2017 Redbook.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon

• Options

Thanks Coindeuce. I haven't picked up a Redbook in about 10 years. I don't pay much attention to modern commems and state quarters which used to be the only significant difference year to year. It may be time to pick one up again.

• Options
    edited October 19, 2016 10:28AM

Welcome back(?) RogerB.
    I hope you will be around for a long, long time in this new format. Your knowledge is priceless.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

RE; Fred W.'s comments. It's only within the past 20 years that collectors have come to recognize the importance of the 1942 experimental and pattern pieces, and their5 unique role in American history.

• Options

Interesting, thanks for posting.

www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.
  • Options

@EvilMCT said:
    Thanks Coindeuce. I haven't picked up a Redbook in about 10 years. I don't pay much attention to modern commems and state quarters which used to be the only significant difference year to year. It may be time to pick one up again.

It's also listed on page 1298 (!) of the new edition of Mega Red, which you might consider also.

Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • Options

@CertifiedGoldCoins said:

@EvilMCT said:

It's also listed on page 1298 (!) of the new edition of Mega Red, which you might consider also.

Thanks for the info. I've not seen Mega Red before. Think I will pick one up.

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 20, 2016 3:29PM

Very cool glass cent!

Ever since I got my first steel cent as a kid, I've been interested in WWII coinage. The glass patterns were ones I've always read about but it's really cool to see one with a TrueView photo.

:+1:

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

The full size TrueView is amazing!!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    treybenedicttreybenedict Posts: 373 ✭✭✭

So can glass rainbow tone?

• Options

Nope.

• Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

A fascinating coin.

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty cool. Never saw one of those in glass.

And not that it really matters, but I would opt for the "MS" designation on this piece, because I imagine that this is what these pieces would have looked like if mass produced. (I suppose you could talk me into "SP", but certainly not "PR".)

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have always liked pattern coins. I had never heard of one on glass before. But this one just took the cake for the coolest in my book

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice work Roger.

• Options
    PaleElfPaleElf Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing. First I have ever seen one of these.

• Options

This glass 1942 piece is in the January FUN auction by Heritage. January 4-9, 2017. FUN US Coins Signature Auction - #1251. There are a couple of really good photos on the Heritage site - imagine if glass had been used for cents in 1943.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I ever had to, for whatever reason, remove that piece from its slab, I would be extremely nervous about doing so!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking forward to seeing it in person at FUN

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, that is AWESOME.

Guess I won't be finding any when I go out with my metal detector though, huh? LOL

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really cool!

I wonder if Windex would be the cleaning agent of choice for these. ;)

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    tychojoetychojoe Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    edited December 3, 2016 11:18AM

Wow - the TruView in the OP above does a good job of compensating for the transparency of the glass so that you see mainly only one side of the Pattern at a time.

On the other hand, the Heritage 1942 1c Experimental Glass Cent close-ups let you see both sides at once, and the slab photos give a sense of the glass color at a distance. Way cool.

It's a trip to imagine carrying around pretty glass buttons for pocket change.

The RB in RB 42-70 refers to RogerB? Yep, it's gotta B!

The TruView also provides beautiful detail of the reported "irregular glass flow patterns as well as micro cracks and crazing of the surfaces". crazing ...gonna have to look that one up...something to do with glazing or ceramics?

So, rainbow toning? Nope. Something different, very different. Glacier or lava-like ribbon crazing, maybe?

• Options

Some of the surface defects resulted from having a red hot glass "blank" pressed by room temperature steel dies. (They weren't really struck in the sense a metal coin is struck.) In production, Blue Ridge Glass Co. proposed to heat the dies nearly to the same temperature as the red-hot glass.

The reference book on all of the World War II patterns is "Pattern and Experimental Pieces of WW-II."

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's too cool

• Options

This 1942 glass piece is presently bid to $17,000 + buyer's fee. Amazing.

• Options
    edited January 3, 2017 3:39PM

Here's the HA auction link for those tracking at home.

Up to $22,325.00 with BP since BP shouldn't matter for bidding ;)

Hammer is at $19k.

It will be interesting to see which goes for more, glass or cardboard.

• Options

Yikes! Don't hit it with a hammer --- maybe use a limp Twinkie.

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2017 4:13PM

Not bad for a 5k ebay buy.

Not exactly listed properly: here

• Options
    edited January 3, 2017 4:05PM

@GoldenEgg said:

Yep, eBay rocks as a place to find undiscovered gems like the Peace dollar original bronze cast for $500.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@GoldenEgg said:

Yep, eBay rocks as a place to find undiscovered gems like the Peace dollar original bronze cast for $500.

I purchased a Mexican pattern coin die engraved by famous American engraver Charles Cushing Wright that the seller bought as a paperweight on eBay for less than $200. It's famous because of the "hookneck eagle" design.

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

I heard Roger on the radio this morning. Congrats on the publicity!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file