Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Photo Friday - Wiener Cathedral Medals

PCGSPhotoPCGSPhoto Posts: 768 mod
edited October 14, 2016 9:52AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Happy Friday, everyone!
I thought I'd give the new forum software a whirl with a Wiener medal. These are large, intricate, high relief medals that are always impressive and very difficult to do justice to in a photograph.

Radiant Collection: Numismatics and Exonumia of the Atomic Age.
https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/showcase/3232

Comments

• Options
    dadamsdadams Posts: 376 ✭✭✭
    edited October 14, 2016 9:02AM
    That is an awesome photo with astounding detail.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastic image Phil.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

Here's Westminster Abbey

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since these are crossing your desk, am I right to assume that PCGS is holdering them now? I would do stereoscopic photos or animations of these to do them justice and capture the magnitude of the depth.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is the best quality photo that I have seen posted on this forum

• Options

Thanks, everyone. Here's St Marks Basilica in Venice. We are grading them, and they go in our "5oz" holder. We'll grade most medals these days if there's an official reference to the medals (like in a book of medals for example).

Apologies to people with slow internet connections... but they're worth the wait.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dude.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whoa...those are superb!!!

Isn't it fantastic how photo friendly the new forum is?!

• Options

One more to take us into the weekend. Enjoy! This was perhaps the hardest one because I wanted to show how Rouen cathedral leaps off the medal, but also the pillars on the reverse are so glossy and so numerous that it was easy for the glare to be really distracting.

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

Beautiful medals. I have been impressed with the extremely high relief and detail of the ones I have seen in person.

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a treat for these old eyes.
    Well done!

• Options

Side question...but photo related. Are there any restrictions on the size of files to upload?

• Options

I'm not sure of any restrictions. I was actually expecting the files to be downscaled or compressed in some way when I uploaded them, but no. Full size files, each one over 3mb. It's a photo free for all now.

• Options

@PCGSPhoto said:
    I'm not sure of any restrictions. I was actually expecting the files to be downscaled or compressed in some way when I uploaded them, but no. Full size files, each one over 3mb. It's a photo free for all now.

I hope it stays that way.

I noticed one post where the photos appear as thumbnails--easy to click on and see so no problem, but they did not 'embed' (or whatever is the right word). Is it due to the way it was uploaded (choose file vs. dropping an image)? Or, perhaps you are flying blind like us :smiley:

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love that medal

• Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

Incredible pictures, Phil!

Further evidence of the reason I love True View service, and get it for every coin I submit now.

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options

Very pretty medals!

• Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

Impressive images, love the 3-D effect on the reverse.

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

Thanks for posting. I always enjoy seeing them

• Options
    zompelszompels Posts: 215 ✭✭

Superb images ! tremendous eye appeal Medals !

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread!

• Options

Awesome photos Phil! I'm going to post these on the PCGS Facebook account.

• Options

Killer, man.

Can you post one in silver?

:D

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very impressive photos! Thanks for sharing them!

• Options

Nobody wants to see my Wiener? C'mon! Surely someone out there wants to see my Wiener!

--Severian the Lame
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice to see these. Breathtaking medals... AND photography, of course.

I hope you'll make the "Photo Friday" a semi-regular thing, Phil, if your schedule allows it.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

The Saint Mark's is most appropriate with Dan Brown's Inferno movie just having been released.

Paul
  • Options

@lordmarcovan said:

I hope you'll make the "Photo Friday" a semi-regular thing, Phil, if your schedule allows it.

A most excellent suggestion--should time allow for this.

And, in case you are reading this, any consideration for a photography sub-forum? That would be fantastic, especially for newbie photogs.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stork said:

@lordmarcovan said:

A most excellent suggestion--should time allow for this.

And, in case you are reading this, any consideration for a photography sub-forum? That would be fantastic, especially for newbie photogs.

A coin photography subforum would be a SPLENDID idea, if you ask me! Could be a valuable resource for the forums, and might save on people repeatedly having to repost answers to the most common FAQs...

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am always in awe of the talents of engravers all the way back to the ancients
    but it akways seems to me Weiner was on another plane altogether.