Home Metal Detecting

What's the best middle-of-the-road detector right now?

ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

My old Whites had some sort of breakdown. When I go out it's usually lawns or playgrounds and occasionally the beach.

I realize it's a get what you pay for sort of thing.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

Comments

• pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    A lot of people use the AT Pro these days. Of course if you can spring for a CTX that'd also be good!

What's your budget? That may help narrow it down
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep.... one can get along with the cheaper models... there are certainly adequate MD's for reasonable prices.... Cheers, RickO

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pcgs69 said:
    A lot of people use the AT Pro these days. Of course if you can spring for a CTX that'd also be good!

What's your budget? That may help narrow it down

I'm hoping to keep it under $400.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• I have 2 that I like: Whites Treasure Pro and Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro. The BH seems to give me better discrimination.

Welcome aboard BigMax....Join the fun...although winter in the northern areas tend to slow this forum down a tad. Cheers, RickO

• ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Not sure which detector is best, but I recommend also getting some sturdy digging tools.
    Especially for paved roads.

crickets

Don't worry, I'l stick to my day job!
    Z

Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome. I think a pin-pointer detector is a great tool to have also. Even a cheap 10 to 20 dollar one from harbor freight helps a lot.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

My recommendation is White's.... Great technology, however, above all... FANTASTIC customer service..... That, to me, is very important. Cheers, RickO

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

I retired my 15 year old Whites and the son is still using in his business, locating pipes and cables. Just felt it was time to get something much lighter. Bought a Tesoro Lobo (no display). But, understand that I just desert hunt nuggets and don't care for the display, tone is all I need as I dig it all. When I first got my Whites the tones for the different metals had different, though slight, sounds. I could actually tell what it was I was digging by the tone. But, now at 70+ my hearing is way different....just dig it all.
    Good luck,
    bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Desert hunting is fun... and you never know what will turn up.... I have two nuggets from my desert days... Cheers, RickO

• EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

Although I don't personally swing it, I've heard from many that the Garrett Ace 350 (they recently put out the new Ace 400) is a great machine at your price point. Good luck!

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

check out Whites:

https://www.whiteselectronics.com/product-category/metal-detectors/page/2/

great machines, I have used them since I started in 1989.

I've had 2 Whites Eagle SL II
    DFX
    Spectrum,

and now a Spectra V3i

Frank

BHNC #203