Home U.S. Coin Forum

Post Count is irrelevant - "Likes", "Agrees", "Points" matter

I know many are fixated on the old forum "post count" as a sign of worth. In the new paradigm it is "Likes", "Agrees", and "Points". Not sure how the "Points" are awarded, but if I were to guess, it is a combo of getting "Likes", "Agrees", and answering forum "Questions". When you create a new thread, it can be a "Question" or "Discussion". If you ask a "Question" and someone answers it, I would assume they would get some "Points" for doing so. Possibly the "Disagrees" and "Abuse" and "SPAM" take away points

So if you like someone's post, then be sure to hit the "Like" button or "Agree". Same for "Disagree"

You can now see someone's "Point" total by looking at their account. This overall is a much better way of seeing someone's worth then some worthless "+1" post just meant to add posts.

some may not like this, but it appears this is the new way.

Comments

• dbtunrdbtunr Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:
    The new format allows people to hide.

I want to know why you/others dislike what I've posted.

Don't know what you mean by "hide" by I would comment if you expand on that. The new "Likes" etc is more modern and Facebook/Twitter/etc like. Maybe CLCT is trying to go for a younger crowd.

And I've been here in one way or another since 2005

• dbtunrdbtunr Posts: 614 ✭✭✭
    edited October 13, 2016 1:32PM

@SeattleSlammer said:
    I agree with Lakes....it seems to discourage actual posting to some degree. The click-only-response method is easy, sure, but also dumbs things down a bit. And allows someone to simply sit in the shadows and click-bomb another member on any/all posts just to be nasty.

Sean, I love the height idea.

Ahh, that's what you mean by "hide". OK I agree with that. Facebook at least tells you who "Liked" you. Maybe that is something they need to add if they are going with this paradigm

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dbtunr said:
    The new "Likes" etc is more modern and Facebook/Twitter/etc like. Maybe CLCT is trying to go for a younger crowd.

Actually, it more like it's part of (or will be) standard on just about any modern forum software of this sort. It's already on a few of the other boards I lurk on. It's standard social media fodder.

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you've ever met SeattleSlammer, you know why he likes the height idea! :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 13, 2016 2:11PM

@SeattleSlammer said:
    You haven't been here long enough to trivialize the importance of longevity and consistent participation.

The new like/agree/disagree icons are nice, but don't replace the other.

And while everyone throws in a "+1" here and there, it's by no means an epidemic.

There are many, many members that have been posting since 2001. That certainly means something to me. And it doesn't diminish new blood or input. Both exist happily and feed off one another.

+1

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

He's> @dbtunr said:

I know many are fixated on the old forum "post count" as a sign of worth. In the new paradigm it is "Likes", "Agrees", and "Points". Not sure how the "Points" are awarded, but if I were to guess, it is a combo of getting "Likes", "Agrees", and answering forum "Questions". When you create a new thread, it can be a "Question" or "Discussion". If you ask a "Question" and someone answers it, I would assume they would get some "Points" for doing so. Possibly the "Disagrees" and "Abuse" and "SPAM" take away points

So if you like someone's post, then be sure to hit the "Like" button or "Agree". Same for "Disagree"

You can now see someone's "Point" total by looking at their account. This overall is a much better way of seeing someone's worth then some worthless "+1" post just meant to add posts.

some may not like this, but it appears this is the new way.

Why is this tagged TheNewGuy? Who is new ?

• CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crackout said:
    I also liked the "member since _ _ _ _" on the old forum. I know you can find that info, but it was easy to see it under the avatar.

I agree and I am going to give you a "like".

I hate Facebook.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

:+1:

I'm just glad there's a thumbs up on the forum still :lol:

• dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps, they should have just closed the boards and told everyone to go to Facebook or Twitter since they are the way to go. Seems that is the way to do things in the modern world.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its quality not quantity that I believe most are interested in

LCoopie = Les
  • CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭

There are badges for post count, badges count towards your points.... so post count matters

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinZip said:
    There are badges for post count, badges count towards your points.... so post count matters

And points count toward ... discounts at the concession stands at the Long Beach show?

• PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

The FACT is all the counts, points or anything take a back seat to the information posted!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

edited October 13, 2016 7:28PM

postcountmatters

• Value is judged from reading and evaluating for oneself...the counts, likes etc are simply some added entertainment. :p
    "A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes"--Hugh Downs
  • I didn't realize that for so many posters in this thread that this is some sort of popularity contest and not a forum to discuss numismatics. Silly me.

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,337 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dbtunr said:

@Lakesammman said:
    The new format allows people to hide.

I want to know why you/others dislike what I've posted.

Don't know what you mean by "hide" by I would comment if you expand on that. The new "Likes" etc is more modern and Facebook/Twitter/etc like. Maybe CLCT is trying to go for a younger crowd.

And I've been here in one way or another since 2005

Translated, that means he has been BANNED multiple times, but thinks the rules don't apply to him, so he creates another account, from another IP with another email address (probably a GMAIL or YAHOO throwaway) and keeps coming back to tell CLCT how they should be doing things and telling everyone else his way is the only right way.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• HandHHandH Posts: 438 ✭✭✭

@roadrunner said:
    Don't need a likes, agree, or disagree to give validation to our posting. If you're hitting those buttons, you should post as well supporting your points or adding to the discussion. Someone with a low post count, but lots of "likes" and "disagrees" would suggest to me they're either lazy and/or can't think for themselves. It's amazing this forum has survived 15 years without a "likes" button.....lol. What were we thinking back then??

I guess when I enter a GTG thread in the future, I'm gonna hit the "agrees" button for all those grades I agree with....and "disagrees" for all those grades I don't agree with. Is that the spirit we're looking for? 2 days on the forum and I don't have a single "like" or "agree." Sort of expected that But I have 2 LOL's and 1 disagree + half a dozen posts on various topics. I'm ancient and worthless in the brave new Twitter FB world.

Best post of the new era.

Or, +1.

US Civil War coinage
    Historical Medals

@NickDanger said:
    I didn't realize that for so many posters in this thread that this is some sort of popularity contest and not a forum to discuss numismatics. Silly me.

I think the software is purposely designed to encourage participation. I'll bet there's actually a lot of psychology built into it.

• StoogeStooge Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

So what if I go back to all of my posts and hit Agree, Like & LOL, do I get those "Points"?

Actually, I don't care, I'm here to learn and have fun.

Later, Paul.
  • Post counts, Agrees, Disagrees, Likes, and.... BADGES?

"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!" -- Treasure of the Sierra Madre, 1948

There are some good features to this format, but "Like" really needs "Dislike," dontcha think?

Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,337 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stooge said:
    So what if I go back to all of my posts and hit Agree, Like & LOL, do I get those "Points"?

Actually, I don't care, I'm here to learn and have fun.

Software won't let you do that to yourself. Good thought though ;)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

One can either choose to use the new features, or disregard them... it is still a personal choice. Go with the flow...Cheers, RickO

• lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I walk 10,000 steps in a day I get a star from my fitbit. It is surprisingly a very good motivator.

LCoopie = Les
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

What matters is the discussion (and photos) of coins.

That's the reason I come here.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file