Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

New Forum: Q&A

Hello everyone,

Well, here it is...the new forum is up and running. There are a few hiccups...but nothing unmanageable.

For example, the avatars didn't migrate over as expected (which worked perfectly in testing). These things happen when you're trying to migrate over years and years of data, but we still apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

So I wanted to start this thread for anyone who has a question or concern regarding the new forums. I will do my best to answer quickly, but I welcome a response from anyone who already figured it out and knows the answer. I will add as a side note that I am currently out of the office for work purposes (I know - not great timing), so I apologize for any delays in responding. But in the meantime, I do suggest you first take the time to explore, hit all the buttons, see what's there and what's available, etc. as I found this helped me answer several questions I had when I first started testing.

If you still can't figure it out, please do post here if you have a question or concern and I will post a response to help everyone who may have the same question.

Thanks,
Jackie

Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com

Comments

• Options
    ZTargZTarg Posts: 497 ✭✭✭

When you look down the list of threads in a forum, threads that have comments posted only show who the most recent poster was, not who started the thread.

• Options

Hello!

A few of the issues we're currently working on with the software developers:

1. Inaccurate post counts being displayed
    2. Organization/sorting of PMs in your inbox (may not be a feature they can quickly implement, but they are taking our feedback into account)
    3. Search function in PMs since some of you have tons of PMs
    4. Drafts: It let's you save a draft, but once you try to post, it's not letting you select the category.
    5. People can't see the original poster on a thread.
    6. Avatars didn't come over.

On most of the issues, they've responded and they said they are working on resolving them or at least investigating further. (They are way more responsive than our previous developing team!) Will keep you all posted.

Jackie

Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 12, 2016 9:50AM

We're missing the "Underline" function.

Also, can we have a bit more space for our avatars - they're on the small side IMO.

Mike
  • Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

Great looking upgrade but I can't click over here from PSA set registry. It says "Page Not Found"

Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    edited October 12, 2016 10:46AM

Small observation here: the "Who's online" feature shows avatars rather than names. That looks sloppy/cluttered and is quite distracting, at least to me. Is there an option to just display names instead?

Oh, and will there be further modifications to the text editor? Adding colors, text size, etc?

One more thing I just thought of: is there a setting that shows an unread thread in bold, while read threads are not in bold?

• Options

We will not have the underline feature unfortunately. Because live links nowadays have a line underneath, the site developers opted to leave that out. But we have bold and italics,

• Options
    ga5150ga5150 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭

May have been mentioned, but I've yet to see it-- From the home page , all of the categories show all the way down the page. Is there a way to hide those categories we don't have interest in/don't want to see? I found the mute button, but it doesn't seem to hide the categories that I mute.

Thanks!

• Options

@ga5150 said:
    May have been mentioned, but I've yet to see it-- From the home page , all of the categories show all the way down the page. Is there a way to hide those categories we don't have interest in/don't want to see? I found the mute button, but it doesn't seem to hide the categories that I mute.

Thanks!

The mute feature affects the links within a given forum. I've got all forums muted except six. Here's what I see when I go into any of the six forums that aren't muted:

It doesn't look like there's a way to eliminate unwanted forums on the main category page.

• Options
    edited October 12, 2016 2:33PM

edit: I think Geordie resolved this in another thread.

It doesn't look like there's a way to eliminate unwanted forums on the main category page.

Hey Geordie - once you go to your favorite forum e.g. - then you will only see the other forums you would choose to enter and would have no need to select the "Category Page" unless you were looking outside of your area of interest.
    If you removed those? You would not be able to see other forums - just as a reference.

As I said before - I have the Sports Card Forum as my default when I enter PSA - and only see those forums I have a need to look at.

If I were curious about one of the other areas like coins? Then I would press the "main" category page and peruse.

Am I making sense or am I missing something? Thanx.

Mike
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

Ooooh, there's a spoiler alert function. Neato. :D

• Options

Also, I miss our old emoticons.

Mike
  • Options
    ssollarsssollars Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭

The list of threads doesn't seem to have a way to jump to a given page for that thread or most importantly to the last page of that thread!

• Options
    edited October 12, 2016 4:57PM

@ssollars said:
    The list of threads doesn't seem to have a way to jump to a given page for that thread or most importantly to the last page of that thread!

You can click on the thread title and be taken to the last unread post. If you were reading a thread on the old board, it is possible that you will have to "read" every page on this one. Once you've gotten yourself caught up, then clicking the title will immediately take you to the new posts.

Regarding page numbers, they are at the bottom of page 1 of the thread itself, and after that they appear at the top and bottom of subsequent pages. Not sure why they're not at the top of page 1 - perhaps that's something you can look into, Jackie? @SportsModerator1 Maybe you can also look into adding page numbers after the thread titles, too?

• Options
    edited October 12, 2016 7:29PM

I see that some people have animated gif avatars, but when I upload one, it just shows up as a still photo. Any idea why? :/

• Options

@mlbfan2 said:
    I see that some people have animated gif avatars, but when I upload one, it just shows up as a still photo. Any idea why? :/

maybe they're linking directly from a URL rather than transferring from their computer? That's the only thing I can think of .

• Options

@TNP777 said:

@mlbfan2 said:

maybe they're linking directly from a URL rather than transferring from their computer? That's the only thing I can think of .

I can't find any way to do that.

• Options

I was just about to come back and post the same thing. I was making an assumption based on posting pictures in threads - I assumed the same would be possible with avatars. Just found out I was wrong.

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

What happened to my post count, JW?? Lost about 1,500.

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

@Stingray said:
    What happened to my post count, JW?? Lost about 1,500.

Found answer in another post!!

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

When you go to your private messages, you used to be able to go directly to a certain user whose name began with a certain letter. The alphabet was present and you could click on the first letter of a name and it would bring you to all your PMs whose user name began with that letter. Is that still available?

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

Not sure if it has been brought up, but when you got to a certain post count you were able to get a name underneath your avatar. The name disappeared.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

Your PM post count used to appear in your PMs. I no longer see it.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

@TNP777 said:
    I was just about to come back and post the same thing. I was making an assumption based on posting pictures in threads - I assumed the same would be possible with avatars. Just found out I was wrong.

No problem. I still can't figure it out. My only guess is that I am not allowed to post an animated gif avatar while others are. Maybe I'm being punished or something. :(

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

The consensus over at the sidelines is that this new platform is ok, however, many over there
    are wondering why they feel like they are on FaceBook? :p

Good for you.
  • Options

@WinPitcher said:
    The consensus over at the sidelines is that this new platform is ok, however, many over there
    are wondering why they feel like they are on FaceBook? :p

Say... how do you feel about salt?

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

I like it in wounds... How do you like pepper?

Good for you.
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

How do you edit a post?

• Options
    dbtunrdbtunr Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

@detroitfan2 said:
    How do you edit a post?

hit the little "gear" icon in the upper right of your post and select "edit"

• Options

I still can't figure out why my animated gif avatar just shows up as a photo.

• Options

Wondering if a MOD can comment on my three posts dated October 14. Thank you.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

No response?

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

Hi everyone,

Very sorry I have been MIA - we've been a little busy at PSA lately. However, our IT group has been awesome about reading your posts/comments and talking to the site developers about getting several issues fixed/looked into. You may have noticed some issues already resolved, but to recap and answer some of your questions above:

--Previously banned members un-banned – Yes, there was a glitch and some previously banned members were allowed back, but we’ve addressed those that have slipped by.
    --Inaccurate post counts being displayed: This was due to the fact we deleted some old archived categories that were no longer accessible (on the old or new forums) and therefore the post counts changed for this reason.
    --Organization/sorting of PMs in your inbox by date – FIXED
    --Searching for PMs in your inbox - This is not something that can be changed, but developers are taking into consideration for future build.
    --Issue with read PMs coming up as unread in new system – FIXED
    --Alphabetical organization of usernames within Inbox for PMs – Unfortunately, this is something that has been eliminated and it’s simply a design decision made by this site’s developers. On this site, you simply start typing a letter(s) for the username you are looking for, and it will produce a list of possible users to select from.
    --Drafts: It let's you save a draft, but once you try to post, it's not letting you select the category. – FIXED
    --People can't see the original poster on a thread. - FIXED
    --Avatars didn't come over - FIXED
    --"Who's online" feature - FIXED - We made avatar size more uniform and added usernames.
    --Further modifications to the text editor? Adding colors, text size, etc.? – We can make the suggestion to the developers, but ultimately, what is available now is all we have to work with.
    --Is there a setting that shows an unread thread in bold, while read threads are not in bold? This is not possible with current design features we have available. It’s worth noting though and will pass along to developers for future consideration. **
    -- Hide categories - **This was answered by some other members. Click on the wheel (top right) and select “mute” to hide the category.

--The list of threads doesn't seem to have a way to jump to a given page for that thread or most importantly to the last page of that thread! – FIXED (sort of). Now the pages to scroll through are listed right after that first post. (This is simply how the site developers chose to design this feature, so we can only pass along the suggestion to modify if it’s a huge problem for most of you.)
    --User Titles and Post Counts – These are no longer under your avatar as the new site simply doesn’t showcase them there. It’s a design choice – but you can still open anyone’s profile to see their post count, etc.
    --How to posting animated gif files – Will look into this as I have no idea!

Thanks for your patience, and hope that in general everything is going well with the new site.

• Options

Regarding emoticons...I forgot to mention that there are actually way more you can use, but they just aren't well documented (not sure why...).

If you type : (colon) and any letter, you can see some matches pop up as you type.

• Options

Jackie ... thank you for responding to my questions. (Too bad I didn't like any of the answers! lol)

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭

How do I post pictures from PhotoBucket? I tried to do so like I did under the previous format but was unsuccessful.

Thanks

Bill

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

Ironmanfan: You don't have to upload via Photobucket anymore. You can now just click on the "Attach image/file" icon and you can drag and drop the image straight from your computer/desktop as shown in screenshot below. You can also simply attach the image to post. Or if you prefer to keep using Photobucket, you can copy the URL in the space below the drag/drop area.

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you, I will give that a try!

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2016 11:12AM

Trying to post from Tinypic (which is similar to Photobucket).

Edited to add: Well, that didn't work. LOL

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭

@SportsModerator1 said:
    Ironmanfan: You don't have to upload via Photobucket anymore. You can now just click on the "Attach image/file" icon and you can drag and drop the image straight from your computer/desktop as shown in screenshot below. You can also simply attach the image to post. Or if you prefer to keep using Photobucket, you can copy the URL in the space below the drag/drop area.

Jackie, while I like this, I have to ask, what if I want to remove something whereever you all store these files we upload via your new method? I don't want to go post by post to remove them from view just to still have them on your servers. I'd like to see something in our control center where we can view everything we have uploaded and then delete things if needed.

Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2016 6:58PM

@mlbfan2 said:
    I still can't figure out why my animated gif avatar just shows up as a photo.

Bump.

Anyone else having this same problem?

• Options

mlbfan2: A couple of people have mentioned this issue and I have reported it to the team. The issue is that this new site wasn't set up to allow GIF uploads, but the existing GIFs from the old site came over OK in the migration and that may be causing some of the confusion (i.e., as to why some have them and others can't upload now). We've asked the developers to turn on the capability (so everyone can upload GIFs) and we're just waiting for a response on this as it will require some configuration on their end. I will post here once I hear back. Thanks for your patience.

• Options

@SportsModerator1 said:
    mlbfan2: A couple of people have mentioned this issue and I have reported it to the team. The issue is that this new site wasn't set up to allow GIF uploads, but the existing GIFs from the old site came over OK in the migration and that may be causing some of the confusion (i.e., as to why some have them and others can't upload now). We've asked the developers to turn on the capability (so everyone can upload GIFs) and we're just waiting for a response on this as it will require some configuration on their end. I will post here once I hear back. Thanks for your patience.

Thanks much!

• Options

FYI - We recently got some complaints that the people have been repeatedly logged out when they open new pages and have been blocked from posting (some are even getting a pop-up in the lower-left corner of the screen that states “You don't have permission to do that”).

If you are experiencing this, we have reported it to the developers and they are currently looking into these reports/issues. I will post again once they reply with (hopefully) a resolution.

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there a way to have feedback for individual users? An example would be if you participated in a BST transaction. Sort of the equivalent of eBay's seller/ buyer feedback. If there is not an option to turn it on do you have any objection to having individual users create a feedback tread so that the other party in the transaction can leave feedback there?

Thanks,
    Kevin

Kevin

• Options

One thing is that I can't see the signature file for the user who posts the message on mobile (e.g., Apple iPhone). Not sure if this is something that is possible to add.

• Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭

Im trying to add the Facebook and Twitter links under Edit Profile/Social but they are getting errors.

Twitter error: {"errors":[{"code":215,"message":"Bad Authentication data."}]}

Facebook error just loads a dead page.

• Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

I have been having some issues that have been mentioned and not sure if others have not.

I'm finding the new layout difficult to work with and I have been on the boards since inception and even before
    that when they were the old boards.

Some issues:

1) Logging in every time I want to post.

2) Layout is ok but not as clean as what we had in the past. I miss some of the old functionality.

aconte

• Options

**skrezyna23: **Will have our team look into this and hopefully will have an answer soon.

**aconte: **Regarding the logging in every time you want to post, others have reported this as well and we have the development team looking into this. I will follow up with them and keep you posted. As for the layout, this is a little tougher to "fix." The layout can be hit or miss for some depending on their preferences. Not everyone likes change and we understand that. If you have specifics to point out though (things that you think would be an improvement), we can certainly pass along to the developers for future consideration.

• Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭

@alifaxwa2 said:

@SportsModerator1 said:

Jackie, while I like this, I have to ask, what if I want to remove something whereever you all store these files we upload via your new method? I don't want to go post by post to remove them from view just to still have them on your servers. I'd like to see something in our control center where we can view everything we have uploaded and then delete things if needed.

Reposting this, hoping for comment.

Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options

alifaxwa2: Are you referring to just images you've uploaded or all your posts in general?

If you are referring to images, I don't believe that is something that is available, but something we can pass along to the developers for consideration. Given how many images are uploaded on this site, I can understand the need...and I can certainly voice that to them.

If you are referring to just post, there is a link called "My Discussions" on the right-hand margin which allows you to view every thread you've participated in. So that may be useful if there is something specific you are looking to delete or search.