Home Precious Metals
Options

If Trump is elected would we see PM's rise?

tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
I don't think I've seen any forecast on that. Could markets get worried and rise over a presidental election result?
COA

Comments

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that the extent to which an election makes holders of assets nervous about taxes, confiscation, social unrest - those types of things might have an effect on the metals.

The U.S. stock market climbs a wall of worry. The metals respond more as a hedge against a total loss of confidence in the markets, loss of confidence in the currency itself or a systemic breakdown in government.

If hyperinflation occurs, it's a confluence of multiple factors rather than a single cause but I don't think that there's a specific or discreet formula for its occurrence.

Trump's election might be seen as a crisis by some or as a vindication by others. Any president can set the tone for a new administration, and the international US Treasury bondholders may or may not like the tone.

Most all of the world's diplomatic relationships have been changing for the past 3 administrations, so it's hard to predict how a Trump presidency might fit into the new dynamics. It's wait & see on many levels.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think initially, there will be no effect. However, if Trump manages to push through economic reform policies and lucrative trade agreements, this could strengthen the dollar and that would likely push gold down..... JMO.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ricko
    I think initially, there will be no effect. However, if Trump manages to push through economic reform policies and lucrative trade agreements, this could strengthen the dollar and that would likely push gold down..... JMO.... Cheers, RickO

Regardless of what happens here the dollar is going to continue receiving support from euro and yen.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He is a winner. She is a winner. The winners are for us. That's why I buy gold.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: derryb

Regardless of what happens here the dollar is going to continue receiving support from euro and yen.

Anything you can see that would cause that support to disappear?

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    Originally posted by: cohodk

DB dumping all their derivatives at a profit. image

Seriously, nothing in the near future, euroland will continue to be a mess in many ways. As for Japan, well they've been trying to get it fixed for decades.

Look for the FED to periodically weaken dollar. Strong dollar is not good for exports and related jobs.

• Options
    Originally posted by: cohodk

DB dumping all their derivatives at a profit. image

Seriously, nothing in the near future, euroland will continue to be a mess in many ways. As for Japan, well they've been trying to get it fixed for decades.

Look for the FED to periodically weaken dollar. Strong dollar is not good for exports and related jobs.

That's more or less been my stance for almost a decade now. King dollar!!

The US doesn't make anything, so ive told on this forum, so no big deal of a strong dollar on the US, right?

Inflation is much closer than many think, so all is not lost.

• Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Yeah! I can't wait to loose some money. So I can make some selling off PMs.

Inflation is much closer than many think, so all is not lost.

COA
  • Options
    The foreseeable future seems to indicate a strong dollar... so, barring a black swan event, gold will remain in the doldrums...with the continuing slight ups and downs...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that there would be an immediate and deep drop in the Dollar. Look at what happened when the Brits voted for something completely against their best interest. By all logic gold would skyrocket.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@CaptHenway said:
    I think that there would be an immediate and deep drop in the Dollar. Look at what happened when the Brits voted for something completely against their best interest. By all logic gold would skyrocket.

Didn't the Brits vote for something that is completely in their best interest?

• Options
    PaleElfPaleElf Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    I agree. It was in their best interest.
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭

I believe that if Trump is elected, and IF he follows his stated path (big IF), that gold will rise.

Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2016 4:36PM

just keep stacking

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a cool stack especially with the black background and the knife gives it a good touch as well :+1:

• Options

How Will the Election Outcome Impact Precious Metals?

"This election is the most fascinating we've ever witnessed. But the fundamental drivers behind precious metals go far beyond the office of president. That is why you should expect prices to be dramatically higher 4 years from now, regardless of what happens at the ballot box in three weeks."

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@CaptHenway said:

Didn't the Brits vote for something that is completely in their best interest?

Brexit could be in Britain's best interest in terms of control over immigration, not good for their economic best interest.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2016 10:52AM

@EagleEye said:

Brexit could be in Britain's best interest in terms of control over immigration, not good for their economic best interest.

I believe Britain exports more to the EU than it imports. While immigration concerns drove the Brits to their decision, It is in their economic best interest that they free themselves from EU non-elected leaders who are empowered to tax and pass dumb laws and quotas concerning production on all EU members. Kinda like no child left behind - reward one group at the expense of the other group.

• Options

a win by the one who wants to raise capital gains taxes would result in a massive equity sell off at the end of this year. Proceeds from that sell off will be looking to go elsewhere. Gold?

• Options

Trexit?

• Options

don't sweat the election, the next crisis is already baked into the cake

"Crisis is coming and governments (whether left or right, populist or establishment) will respond as they always do, with easier money and more borrowing."

• Options
    edited November 6, 2016 9:13AM

• Options

I suspect that the splunge in gold this afternoon was an immediate reaction to the FBI's announcement that there was nothing in the latest batch of emails, thereby increasing the chances that Clinton will be elected, and thereby decreasing the chances that Trump will tank the U.S. economy.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

wall street and its puppets tanked the economy in 08. But this puppet is different?

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

"No puppet. No puppet. You're the puppet!" he famously said to her

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

With my record on predictions (I think I may have had one right), I should not make one on the election.... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options

@PerryHall said:
    Hillary is the typical tax/borrow and spend liberal. If she wins I see inflation in our future which should cause an increase in the prices of tangible assets such as precious metals.

But metals are tanking today because Hillary Clinton is going to win the election.

• Options
    edited November 7, 2016 10:49AM

@CaptHenway said:

@PerryHall said:
    Hillary is the typical tax/borrow and spend liberal. If she wins I see inflation in our future which should cause an increase in the prices of tangible assets such as precious metals.

But metals are tanking today because Hillary Clinton is going to win the election.

metals tanking because dollar is gaining strength. threat of a house cleaning has been reduced. threat against the status quo and their fiat currency has been reduced.

• Options

Well... the dollar, the house (cleaning), the status quo and fiat may be in for a shock... We shall see.... will check in tomorrow night - late.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited November 7, 2016 7:47PM

@CaptHenway said:

@PerryHall said:

Because Trump is pretty much clueless and his proposed policies would create a recession AND add massive amounts to the national debt. TRUMP is gold's best friend.

• Options
    edited November 7, 2016 8:00PM

central banks and reckless fiscal policy are gold's best friends. The puppets are only attached to a different set of strings being controlled by the same hand. Anyone who believes the puppet is in control is absolutely clueless. The real choice boils down to which puppet is attached to fewer strings.

• Options

@cohodk said:

@CaptHenway said:

@PerryHall said:

Because Trump is pretty much clueless and his proposed policies would create a recession AND add massive amounts to the national debt. TRUMP is gold's best friend.

And America's worst nightmare!

• Options

@derryb said:
    central banks and reckless fiscal policy are gold's best friends. The puppets are only attached to a different set of strings being controlled by the same hand. Anyone who believes the puppet is in control is absolutely clueless. The real choice boils down to which puppet is attached to fewer strings.

Central banks have to try to fix the mess the politicians constantly create. Fix the fiscal house and there is no need for a central bank. As long as populism reigns, central bankers have job security. Trump and Hillary seem quite popular. What a shame.

• Options

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

Central banks have to try to fix the mess the politicians constantly create. Fix the fiscal house and there is no need for a central bank. As long as populism reigns, central bankers have job security. Trump and Hillary seem quite popular. What a shame.

central banks are the policy makers' puppet. Even the puppets have puppets.

You forget that the FED is owned by those pulling the Washington puppet strings. FED don't fix nuttin. FED is Wall Street's vacuum cleaner.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ya, we are very screwed either way...... Sad but true. I weep

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2016 5:48AM

I'm voting Comacho, he's our only hope.

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

mark

There is always opportunity and great opportunity can arise from chaos. Dont be scared, be prepared.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

I an an article in the yesterday's WSJ calling for higher "safe-haven" prices if Trump is elected.

Nostradamus predicted a masculine woman would beat the "trumpet" though so don't count any profits yet.

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

mark

@Justacommeman said:

mark

Mark, I know it may appear that I have my head in the sand, but I'm not going to worry until you start wearing tight pants. Then, and only then.....will chaos ensue.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coronation has begun. Trump renewed interest in voting to his demise.
    Gold will rise to the beat of its own drum.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

If trump wins, metals will be the least of our worries.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2016 10:20AM

I see a lot of Trump bashing. Let's not forget that Obama will have nearly doubled the national debt by the time he leaves office. What effect does an ever higher national debt have on the price of gold especially after a few of interest rate hikes? How will the government find the money to service this debt especially with increased interest rates? I see high inflation in our future.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

the foreseeable economic future has already been cast in stone. What can be changed is the long term future. Either candidate is going to experience a bad economy for the next few years.

• Options

@Downtown1974 said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

@Justacommeman said:

mark

Mark, I know it may appear that I have my head in the sand, but I'm not going to worry until you start wearing tight pants. Then, and only then.....will chaos ensue.

Ha! I still rock skinny jeans on occasion but alas this trend is in the 9th inning.

@ChrisRx said:
    If trump wins, metals will be the least of our worries.

True. But the alternative may actually be worse.

@cohodk said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

There is always opportunity and great opportunity can arise from chaos. Dont be scared, be prepared.

True. Not scared just have a sick feeling that this is going to be a one term disaster of epic proportions. The saving grace is that one party won't be running all threes branches. Thank God for checks and balances.

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank God for checks and balances.

Well, Him and our Founding Fathers ;)

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2016 8:18PM

Remember folks, there is a difference between the worst president ever and the last president ever.

If trump wins, I am buying as much gold as I can.

• Options

@ChrisRx said:
    Remember folks, there is a difference between the worst president ever and the last president ever.

If the stock prices the last few days are any indication, we know who we can expect to win tonight.

A funny thing happened on the way to the road to 270.

In a perfect world the House and Senate go republican and Hillary wins a nail bitter with less then zero mandate. What a debacle for the DNC no matter the result. Embarrassing all things considered

mark

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stunning results thus far. Wikileaks emails revealing Donna Brazile gave debate questions to the Clinton team and James Comey's statements are moving the needle IMO. Everything looked good for Clinton until the voting started.