Home Metal Detecting
Options

Finds from September (and early Oct)

ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
Some finds from September and early October image

First, some modest stuff from dry sand. I rarely do this type of detecting.
The nine coins pictured total EUR 10.50 ($11.70). I left out some low value coins.

The ring looks pretty good, but it’s junk.
The earring is sterling silver, but it's cheap and flimsy - the kind you can buy a pair of for 10 bucks (or less).
Still, I welcome any and all silver!

Now for some water finds. There’s a ton of hours in here, including some wild goose chases where I tried out potential new sites.
Most of those resulted in 0-2 coins per outing. Well, at least now I know...

I think this is roughly from the same time period as the finds…

The coins are common ones, mostly 1920’s to 60’s. There’s one or two mystery coins that are too crusty to identify right now.
I don’t have great expectations for them though. We'll see.

Some of the better/interesting finds:

Pin from Swedish championships in canoeing, 1946. Quite an oddball item!
It was originally a lot more colorful.

You don’t see these words on a pen too often these days

This crusty thing sure looks like silver… image

I can’t see any markings, but it’s definitely silver.
This one has been down there for a while. It’s wafer-thin.

And finally:

18k, 2.70 grams, 1915 image

Boom! Finally a gold ring after a lengthy drought image
It gave a very iffy signal. Very pleased to have gotten this one!

It’s the first gold for the Excalibur as well. With the hours I’ve put in I should probably have a few more, but I’ve prioritized sites that could yield items with some age to them.

Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro

Comments

• Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like you did ok over there, I guess :-). Pretty soon you'll run out of room in your signature area when you find enough gold. Nice finding some old gold like that eh? Was it deep? How'd it look in the dirt?

That cross sure does look silver too. It's possible the bale (bail? I can never remember which is which) had the marking.

Just a small bucket of junk too. Do you break it down and recycle any of it?

• Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: pcgs69
    Was it deep? How'd it look in the dirt?

Nope. Perhaps 6" or so. The gray clay at this site halts the sinking quite effectively.
    One would have expected a better signal from that depth. Perhaps it was on edge, or something else was masking it.

I've been to this site many times before, and must have walked right over it several times in the past..

It looked like in the picture. Nothing really sticks to these things.
    Even the infamous clay isn't a match for them. It's like they're coated with teflon.
    I've just rinsed it under running water for a few seconds. Wish everything was that easy to "clean"!

Originally posted by: pcgs69
    Just a small bucket of junk too. Do you break it down and recycle any of it?

Sure. Once I have a couple buckets I sort through them and drop off the usable metal (pretty much everything except rusty iron) for recycling.
    Mostly it's lead and aluminum. Some copper too.
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
    Nothing like seeing that gold coming out of the mud/clay. Here at acid beach, 10k and even 14k can tarnish in this stuff, but you can still tell right away gold versus brass, or even plated. Crazy, especially on beach sites how you can go over it 1, 2 or even 5 times and still find new things over areas you've covered.

I let me buddy sort through all my junk last year. He pulled out somewhere around 20 pounds of lead and made a nice ingot out of it. Set it aside for when the zombie apocalypse happens and he needs to make bullets. Fair enough.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice finds Zot...especially gold..... been a long time since I found gold. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice report. Lots of junk and that's to be expected.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, yay! The Ring King did it again! clapclapclap

Sorry I am tardy in responding to this thread, but with hurricanes and such, and the hurricane that hit these forums, I must've overlooked this.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.