Home Precious Metals
Options

Buy it down

I have seen a few times here people saying they are buried in their silver or gold. The good thing with metals you can always adjust your purchase price, if you had paid $28 for a 10oz bar when the price drops to let's say $13.48 which it did plus premium so a total of $14.98 why do you not buy 30oz more bring you your price average to $18.23 or buy a 100oz and your new ownership price is $16.16. Now I do understand if the capital is not there life does give you surprises that is for sure and if you bought 15, 000 oz at $28 well might be a little more challenging to do.

Comments

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a glass half full way of looking at it. I like it.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    buying it up is much more fun. image

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    oldstandardoldstandard Posts: 387 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: derryb

Don't laugh your statement is true, I have a huge bullion and coin store next to my business yes it is a dream I love it. When prices are down they slow down , when it is high you can not get in the door.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: oldstandard
    I have seen a few times here people saying they are buried in their silver or gold. The good thing with metals you can always adjust your purchase price, if you had paid $28 for a 10oz bar when the price drops to let's say $13.48 which it did plus premium so a total of $14.98 why do you not buy 30oz more bring you your price average to $18.23 or buy a 100oz and your new ownership price is $16.16. Now I do understand if the capital is not there life does give you surprises that is for sure and if you bought 15, 000 oz at $28 well might be a little more challenging to do.

I'm for that concept.

I've been flipping gold off the ebay bucks program for a while and have been dedicating my money to those flips. It seems easier to flip those for a profit than silver.

Also, I am now and have been more pessimistic about silver's upness than gold's.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: oldstandard
    Originally posted by: derryb

Don't laugh your statement is true, I have a huge bullion and coin store next to my business yes it is a dream I love it. When prices are down they slow down , when it is high you can not get in the door.

go in and take note of the # of buyers and # of sellers.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will stick mainly to gold.... a little silver if a special opportunity comes up..Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    PaleElfPaleElf Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ricko

I will stick mainly to gold.... a little silver if a special opportunity comes up..Cheers, RickO

I am primarily a gold guy, but I recently learned how much silver is being used in solar panels. So I have slowly started to stack silver also.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good point PaleElf..... had not thought of that....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭

Dollar cost averaging can work great, fair or lousy with any investment, It can also end up putting you in a concentrated position, which is risky. With Metals and quality stocks it's a reasonable option. I use it a lot(with crap, speculative stocks or leverage, you can go broke) Scaling in, not buying all at once alleviates some risk and allows you to have the dry powder to take advantage of the volatility.