Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

October Pickups

As if trying to console me after the Mets lost the wild card game, this arrived in the mail. I particularly like the Met-appropriate 1986 flip!

Cleaned the scanner bed, but there was snow on the case! ??

Comments

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    I think he's laughing about the Baltimore Orioles psycho-babble which caused Terry Collins to cough up his closer in the 9th inning of a tie game.
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    Nice addition, Dave. How is your set coming along?
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That card is a beauty! Those '72 In Action cards can be tough - especially centered like that. Congrats on a great pickup.
    Daniel
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lahmejoon
    Nice addition, Dave. How is your set coming along?

My PSA set is around 30% complete. I had a raw set that was about 85% complete, but what remains of that just isn't doing it for me anymore. So I plan to just work on this set until I die image
  • Options
    Originally posted by: BaltimoreYankee
    That card is a beauty! Those '72 In Action cards can be tough - especially centered like that. Congrats on a great pickup.

Thanks! I picked it up from 4SC at a reasonable price. I think the sheer volume of their offerings puts people off, but there are a few gems lurking there.
  • Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Added another to my Hank Aaron signed Topps run. Great auto placement and the card is in great condition with only one corner crease.

• Options
    This will be a nice accessory to my current project. I have 33 more cards to go to complete a PSA 6 or better set. Also picked up a PSA 10 Wilkins to continue building on that set.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First of the month for me. "Le Magnifique" Mr. Mario Lemieux. In the GOAT debate he always falls behind Orr, Gretzky and Howe but had he been able to stay healthy...... oh what might have been.

It apears like a solid 9 in hand but after just scanning it in I noticed a line that runs diagonally W to E through the top logo. Now I cant stop seeing it. There was another one that ended a few days before that looked like a nicer copy in the scans but I miss judged the snipe so que sera, sera. I will keep an eye out for a nicer 9 but I have a few other targets to hit first.

image[/URL]

Kevin

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Jason - Nice auto on that Aaron.

Spin - Two AWESOME pickups. CONGRATS.

Lot - Nice Lemieux. I would not have noticed that line if you didn't mention it. It also looks like it runs down (left to right) into the top right of the background of the picture.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: PaulMaul
    As if trying to console me after the Mets lost the wild card game, this arrived in the mail. I particularly like the Met-appropriate 1986 flip!

Cleaned the scanner bed, but there was snow on the case! ??

how do u attach pictures ? with an url ?
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    Slowly plugging away at this set

• Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    Not all this month, but its been a while since i posted...

Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1st pickup of the month

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    That Mantle is hot.
    Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    edited October 12, 2016 7:22AM
    two more off the list, both sole graded copies
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got Honus represented now.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    edited October 12, 2016 10:48AM

I'll see your Wagner and raise(??) you a Junkyard Dog - edited to add the new way of adding images is awesome.

• Options
    edited October 12, 2016 10:54AM

I grew up watching the JYD! Who knew he spoke French? And no one rocks a tux like Mean Gene!

• Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭

Very nice pickups everyone. Here are mine.

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finally found a centered PSA 7. Took well over 2 years to find one I liked.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

Was just testing out to see how to post pics. Yup, a lot easier.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, I don't post for a few weeks and everything changes. Everyone with amazing pickups. I love the 56' Mantle and the Caramel Honus.

Here's a few I picked up this month and at the end of September

These are for my HOF Basketball Set

I also picked up my first T-206 cards
    The Donovan I had raw but finally got it holdered. The Camnitz was my first true graded pickup! I might as a long term project pickup Pirates here and there.

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    edited October 13, 2016 7:05PM

My card buying has all but dried up since I finished most of the Dodgers sets I had been working on and sworn off almost all modern cards. Even the Butler collection has been gathering dust. I pick stuff up here and there for it, but just can't get all that excited about it.

Today's mail changed that a little bit. Some of you may remember that I picked up a couple of Turkey Red cards at the last Chicago National. I had no intention of grabbing any, but once I made the plunge I was hooked. I had several friends keeping an eye out in Atlantic City for the last card I needed for the Brooklyn set, but they had no luck. I'd had the card on my daily search list for the last six months at least, but it remained elusive. That finally changed several days ago - picked it up for $50 less than my budget!

Now I gotta figure out how to balance my sig pic - 5 verticals and 3 horizontals seem a little tricky. I guess I could do two rows, but that eats up space on everyone else's screen. #firstworldproblems

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just about spit out a mouthful of wine. My Iphone won't let me quote your post though. #firstworldproblems

Kevin

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

some super nice cards gents.
    Love any Tom Terrific card and that's a beaut.
    AS a yankee fan I am drewlig over the 56 Mantle super nice.
    Love the Mario. I take him over Gretzky any day of the week.
    However your argument about staying healthy if applied to Orr is another dimension of awesomness.

If Orr could have played a long healthy career the argument about who was best isn't even close.
    If healthy Mario is easily #2 IMO.

Can't forget the super Neikro and the 8 F BK

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2016 8:48AM

I've wanted to test out the new file upload. Got this item end of last month, around the first of this month for my Cowboys set. Was one of my favorite players growing up.

Steve

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

Great card, Steve!

I love the '76 football set. Those were the first sports cards I opened as a kid. My Uncle Bill used to take me with him to Bernie's Liquors quite often. He'd stock up on booze and get food from the deli and buy me a couple/few packs of '76 football. Wish I still had those things.

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2016 6:48PM
    Finally grabbed one of these -- from his time with the Halos. Pairs well with the archives set.
    It'll make its way to PSA at some point.
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options

@coinspacks said:
    i got this one

Regarding the aforementioned Krugerrands, I would definitely ask these guys...

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great gets by all up above, but I especially love the Human Highlight Film dime. Incredible card. Speaking of which, could Fleer have done him a greater disservice? Camped out at the free-throw line while his nemesis in dunk contests is performing a levitation act? Nique deserved infinitely better than that.

Although I have constricted my focus as this year has progressed, the RC RC fraternity never left the proverbial radar. The moment this copy elicited a rare visceral reaction, I knew it was time for me to -- old school hip-house alert -- take Mr. Lee's advice and get busy.

• Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    Great gets by all up above, but I especially love the Human Highlight Film dime. Incredible card. Speaking of which, could Fleer have done him a greater disservice? Camped out at the free-throw line while his nemesis in dunk contests is performing a levitation act? Nique deserved infinitely better than that.

Although I have constricted my focus as this year has progressed, the RC RC fraternity never left the proverbial radar. The moment this copy elicited a rare visceral reaction, I knew it was time for me to -- old school hip-house alert -- take Mr. Lee's advice and get busy.

BOOM!

• Options

Man, that Roberto sure hits the eye like a 7. That card gets props like Father MC, Evil Dee, and Buckshot.

• Options
    dberk12dberk12 Posts: 399 ✭✭
    Fantastic Clemente! Really happy for you Stephen. Off the charts.

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that Clemente PSA 5 has really nice centering and general overall eye appeal.

Nice pickup.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options

Stoked.

• Options
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2016 1:12PM

Picked up an upgrade for my favorite wacky set!

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DM23HOF said:
    Stoked.

Doug E. Fresh just called and said this is completely off the hook.

Insane piece of cardboard, Donnie Baseball.

PaulMaul -- One of these days I'm going to ask you to school me on wackies. I don't know squat about them, but they are funky cool and starting to grow on me.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

PaulMaul -- One of these days I'm going to ask you to school me on wackies. I don't know squat about them, but they are funky cool and starting to grow on me.

Any time!

• Options

this is my only wacky packages item same ones i bought as a kid

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been out of town working for the last 2 1/2 weeks. Here are the cards that were received while I was gone. I guess I will end up doing a 1963 Fleer PSA 8 or better set. With the ones here I have 20-25 cards toward the set. If anyone is interested in following the set build I will start a thread on it. The 1960 Lollar AS and the 1962 Ford AS are going in my All Star sets.
    James

• Options
    edited October 20, 2016 9:27AM

Love that Aparicio RC. Just a pleasant image to look at. One of those quintessential "baseball cards."

I remember when I was a little kid, my grandfather was doing some plumbing and found a '56 Aparicio behind a sink-- where it had been likely since 1956. The card was warped as all hell but I thought it was the most amazing treasure ever unearthed. That was '86 and it felt to me like the card was ancient.

Odd to think that the equivalent today is us looking at 1986 Topps cards, which are so cool in their own right.

Could not resist this card below. As a hardcore Mantle collector, a 1969 centered like this is quite the chimera. I have seen one other specimen centered on par with this one in all my years of collecting.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can teach an old dog new tricks.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    Got this 2010 box today
  • Options