Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2016-P Jefferson Nickels.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
We have discussed the shortage of 2009 P&D Jefferson Nickels in the past and it now appears there may be a similar shortage of the 2016-P. We have been unable to get any of the "P" Mint coins from our usual supplier despite getting the "D" Mint coins early in the year.

I just called our supplier and they told me plainly that they have been unable to get any 2016-P coins and that there is a shortage. Can anyone confirm this and offer a reason??

Thanks in advance.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure they made enough of the coins.

Usually the problem is that there are only a very few individuals or companies supplying the markets. If each of these companies is in an area that doesn't need new coin then there can be a severe "shortage" of coins for retailers.

Now days there are no doubt hundreds of boxes being sold every year. Back in the late-60's there were only a few thousand coins per year flowing into these markets.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    my inquiry and mention of the 2009's is because they only struck about 40mil. at each Mint that year and it seems accurate that many ended up in Puerto Rico. is something similar going on with the "P" Mint coins this year.
  • Options
    just checked my junk change, 2/16 were 2016-p (northern Va.)
  • Options
    I personally find individual, BU 2016-P nickels constantly while I'm looking for older nickels to flesh out my nickel folders. So, they're not rare at all where I am. However, please note that I am on the East Coast.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no such thing as rare anything in the modern era coinage.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DIMEMAN

Can you sell me a roll or two of 1975 no-S dimes?

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in the midwest and haven't seen a 2016-P nickel.

Many rolls of D's but not a single P.

• Options
    Bob1951Bob1951 Posts: 268 ✭✭
    There are a lot of them around here. (NE Pa.) Any 2009 coins are difficult to find in circulation, at least in my experience. I save any 2009 coins when I find them which is infrequent. I still haven't found some of the 2009 Lincolns and 2009 quarters or any 2009 dimes.
  • Options

----------- I'm in the midwest and haven't seen a 2016-P nickel.

Many rolls of D's but not a single P.

the prior post about them being "RARE" was sort of over the top, but you should be able to tell from the reply by mannie gray that there is either a lower mintage or some type of distribution problem also, references to the 2009 issues highlight a previous similar event which was later determined to be a distribution problem and lower mintage.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am in NYS, and checking my pile of change on the bedroom dresser, there are three 2016P nickels.... going shopping shortly, so likely there will be none left. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got pics ? Who claims to get them...
  • Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the replies here, there is no shortage.

In 2009, only one person was selling these, he had a monopoly for about 3 weeks. Then a second Ebayer got them, and these 2 were the only sellers for another 6 weeks. Nobody had any 2009's during this 2 month period. The reason was, there was only a single distributor of these coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file