Options

Another USPS Rant, what do you think? OMG I'm lost no found no lost Update

SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
I get while looking up tracking

Yet I get this on ebay

NEW NEWS Eaby shipping labels shows this:

And in another part of Ebay

and PO still shows refused.

An through eBay messages, the buyer says "You must have the wrong guy - I have the coin and love it."

Comments

• Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Postal employee punched the wrong button...
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭
    or the package is damaged, so they refuse it. I've done that.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: jwitten

Why would they leave positive feedback if so?

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Smittys

When did they leave FB, before or after refusing the package?
  • Options

If you get unsolicited stuff, the best thing is to write refuse on the package and it gets sent back. Sounds like the OP's bidder had a change of heart.
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a postal error in coding. Your buyer posted glowing feedback so all is well. I hope!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: BAJJERFAN

If you get unsolicited stuff, the best thing is to write refuse on the package and it gets sent back. Sounds like the OP's bidder had a change of heart.

I missed the part where they got feedback... odd. Actually, you can keep anything that is unsolicited, and you don't have to pay for it if they send an invoice.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only the USPS can stay operate the way they do and stay in business.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

I missed the part where they got feedback... odd. Actually, you can keep anything that is unsolicited, and you don't have to pay for it if they send an invoice.

Yes, you can keep unsolicited items but it wasn't always like that. Even if you solicit it, you can refuse it.
  • Options

I get while looking up tracking

Yet I get this on ebay

What did the buyer say about it?

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

this is a ridiculous statement. do some research and determine how often something like this happens in context of how many packages the PO handles per day. also, your comment is based upon not knowing what even happened, it may not even have anything to do with a postal employee.

JMHO in case anyone cares, I think the USPS overall is one of the best bargains in the world today and functions very efficiently overall.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JMHO in case anyone cares, I think the USPS overall is one of the best bargains in the world today and functions very efficiently overall.

I agree there.

As to the OP's original situation:

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭✭✭
    USPS has a difficult, nay impossible, mandate - to deliver to every address in the US at the same price. In the cable TV world this is called 'last mile' vs. the long haul.

They are a quasi governmental organization, supposedly private, but subject to Congressional 'oversight' (a/k/a meddling).

Further they were formed from the wreck of the government organization of the same name, without being given the opportunity to fix or escape from the past (which private sector companies can do - it's called bankruptcy).

They are being forced to fully fund the pension scheme (probably a good idea as otherwise the retirees will get screwed when the money coming is isn't enough to pay benefits owed). But this takes a lot of money from current earnings that could be used to modernize.

They have a work force that ranges from incredibly dedicated and hard working to those not worth the CO2 they produce. Pretty much like any other large organization - but they can't (easily) release the nogoodniks from employment. You can't close a post office because those are present in some congresscritter's district.

USPS is changing the last mile delivery - instead of a mailbox at the curb in new developments there is a common pedestal with shared package holding boxes (you get a key in your box, use it to retrieve the package and then that large box gets reused for the next person's parcel).

People are sending far fewer letters - making the system more and more dependent on advertising (junk mail) and on package delivery (you can email a 'letter' but you can't email sox). And there is another transformation going on quietly - FedEx and UPS are taking more and more of the long-haul part of the business while injecting the packages into the USPS for the last mile delivery.

It -may- get better; it -may- get worse. Either way, there will be a never ending stream of complaints that thankfully represent a small % of the total transactions...
    -----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: keets

this is a ridiculous statement. do some research and determine how often something like this happens in context of how many packages the PO handles per day. also, your comment is based upon not knowing what even happened, it may not even have anything to do with a postal employee.

+1

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

See the bottom of the OP.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A bee recently flew into my helmet while I was riding and stung me.

Who can I find to be responsible for this act of incompetency?!
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually, you can keep anything that is unsolicited, and you don't have to pay for it if they send an invoice.

Not quite correct.

If it was sent in good faith, or in error, you cannot just keep it.

If it is sent, unsolicited, along with a bill (or you will be billed), and in a way as to be "sneaky" about making you make the purchase (ie...you didn't/don't want it and had nothing to do with them sending it...and the sender had no reason to send it to you other than trying to make you make the purchase) then it can be kept.

The wording I use above may not be perfect, but there is a distinction that is used. It is not a blanket "you can keep anything that is unsolicited and you don't have to pay for it if they send you an invoice"

The "keep anything you get unsolicited...for free" has been discussed on here before and, from what I recall, the above, as I have stated it, was the gist of the outcome of understanding. I have also seen the same thing mentioned other places and it is the same.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Originally posted by: MilesWaits

Probably whoever forgot to put the wind screen down, or whoever bought a helmet without one
  • Options
    Originally posted by: VanHalen

See the bottom of the OP.

I meant did the buyer say they refused it. If they paid with PP they should have an email addy with it. Simple enough to contact by email and ask why it was refused.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    USPS had my last package destined for my home as "delivered." No way it ever came. I was out there doing front yard work the Saturday the driver said it was "delivered." Because the computer said it was delivered, the manager sided with the driver. It wasn't the first time we've had items show up missing. That's why we got a PO Box in another town to handle important items. My CC company paid me for the loss.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    USPS has a difficult, nay impossible, mandate

I'm sure this is an eye-opening post for some members. the part that really gets me is the Congressional mandate that the USPS, which is self-funding and receives no Government Dollars, was forced to fund its pension plan through 2075 within a five year period!!! all that from a Congress which routinely tries to steal from the Social Security fund and can't seem to pass a budget -- but they always seem to pay themselves.
  • Options
    TassaTassa Posts: 2,373 ✭✭
    I've had buyers leave feedback before receiving an item. Could also be a feedback mix up. I got a neutral that was intended for a different seller once. The buyer did apologize and left a very nice follow up comment, but he may not have ever realized his mistake had I not sent him a message.

If it was refused, then you should see the coin again before too long. As others have said, ask the buyer.
  • Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am always a bit leery asking a buyer on ebay if they actually received an item when the USPS tracking shows differently. An honest person will give you an honest answer, but it leaves open the possibility that a dishonest person decides to file a claim, keep your coin and get a refund. It doesn't matter to ebay that the feedback was left. Until it shows delivered, you may be on the hook.
  • Options
    TassaTassa Posts: 2,373 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: bigjpst

I am always a bit leery asking a buyer on ebay if they actually received an item when the USPS tracking shows differently. An honest person will give you an honest answer, but it leaves open the possibility that a dishonest person decides to file a claim, keep your coin and get a refund. It doesn't matter to ebay that the feedback was left. Until it shows delivered, you may be on the hook.

I can understand that but I've had situations where the USPS tracking info left me wondering so I felt the need to contact the buyers through eBay. I had a situation where I didn't know if I'd ever see another update and the item hadn't been returned. I sent an item with signature confirmation and for two weeks it showed that there had been an attempted delivery but no authorized recipient available. The buyer hadn't left feedback and the USPS website didn't show that anyone had signed for it. I contacted the buyer and she had received it the day after the notice was left and was very pleased. She even purchased more items from my website.

If the buyer has been using eBay for several years and there aren't any red flags in their eBay feedback or the feedback they've left for others, I wouldn't think twice about contacting them. If there are red flags...wait a little while.
  • Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Tassa

Originally posted by: bigjpst

I can understand that but I've had situations where the USPS tracking info left me wondering so I felt the need to contact the buyers through eBay. I had a situation where I didn't know if I'd ever see another update and the item hadn't been returned. I sent an item with signature confirmation and for two weeks it showed that there had been an attempted delivery but no authorized recipient available. The buyer hadn't left feedback and the USPS website didn't show that anyone had signed for it. I contacted the buyer and she had received it the day after the notice was left and was very pleased. She even purchased more items from my website.

If the buyer has been using eBay for several years and there aren't any red flags in their eBay feedback or the feedback they've left for others, I wouldn't think twice about contacting them. If there are red flags...wait a little while.

Yes it rarely happens, and the vast majority of the people on ebay are honest and will not try and game the system. I did want to post though that the feedback has no bearing to ebay on whether or not the item was received. I had a buyer once leave me positive feedback, then a week later decide that the Certified coin I sold him was not as described and forced a return.
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a question:

IF the package was REALLY rejected.....would you expect the tracking to continue? Should the tracking list show receipt by the post office....transfer to another post office....expected delivery date....etc.?

I ask because I don't know.....But waiting a day or two might show whether the package is still actively in the system?
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options

nm
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you should call the destination Post Office branch and ask the management to elaborate on the addressee's reason for refusal. They are required to document an addressee's reason for refusal of 1st class mail.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    After Sunday auctions, on Monday I dropped off 6 packages at the post office and the clerk had the scanner set to "Delivered" mode when he scanned them.

So the link in eBay showed the packages as "Delivered" to my post office.

Four of the six contacted me saying they didn't receive it. Two were going to open INR cases within 24 hours of paying.

I had to explain what happened to calm them down and everybody received they coins by the end of the week.
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: keets

Funny how people who pay for a service /than don't get the full service paid for ..are ridiculed /bashed by someone who has no skin in the transaction .
    Whether P.O. best bargains .??.only if they don't screw you...
    At my PO... a coin dealer is 2 boxes next to me .. know his name .. 3 times this year some of his mail ..Coins ? were placed in my box... in error
  • Options
    are ridiculed /bashed by someone who has no skin in the transaction

FWIW, the member that I quoted didn't "have any skin in the game" either. I was simply criticizing him and had nothing directed at the OP whatsoever. and I stand by my opinion which is based on my experience with the USPS.

maybe you should go pick a fight with them.
  • Options
    So what's the present skinny on this fiasco?
  • Options

po still shows refused, ebay says delivered
  • Options

What did the buyer say? Did he receive it and he's keeping it?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with Al. I have received many, many coins in the mail and shipped many as well, and only one issue (stolen coin... made good by seller). I believe they do a fine job overall. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm here for the comedy and drama that goes with the territory.
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm confused as well. Does the seller say (s)he received it or not?
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    Originally posted by: 1Mike1

I'm confused as well. Does the seller say (s)he received it or not?

Not to be punitive, but you'd think that posters would make these simple determinations BEFORE posting situations here.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: MilesWaits

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file