Home U.S. Coin Forum

How was creating a hole in a coin done?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've been seeing many cool holed coins on the forums lately and was wondering what are the common methods to put a hole in, back in the day?

Here's one I ran across that I thought was neat:

Comments

• RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some used nails like the old square ones.
    GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

Gonna get me a $50 Octagonal someday. Some. Day.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drills, nails (square and round), awl-like tools, even knives. You name it.

Oftentimes the shape of the hole gives the clue.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep... they used the tools at hand.... many cents were nailed to the front door as a good luck symbol (money entering).... I have heard of larger denomination coins used by the more well-to-do.... Cheers, RickO
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Zoins

I've been seeing many cool holed coins on the forums lately and was wondering what are the common methods to put a hole in, back in the day?

Here's one I ran across that I thought was neat:

That is a humdinger

Cool.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lakes, that looks like acid eaten through!
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of our members used a 5.56 millimeter round & an M-16, if I'm not mistaken. image I suppose a 45 caliber might disintegrate the same coin.
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TwoSides2aCoin
    One of our members used a 5.56 millimeter round & an M-16, if I'm not mistaken. image I suppose a 45 caliber might disintegrate the same coin.

Mr. Paseo did that to one of my Weenie Dollars and NGC slabbed it!! I'll post a pic later (thought I had one on the server but must have deleted it).

It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shooting small coins would be really hard to do. I used to use Kennedy halves to shoot

at back in the 60's. I used a .22 rifle and a .22 revolver. Never got a bullet to go through

one. Huge dent but no hole. They are sure hard to find afterward as well as the bullet

sends them flying!

bobimage

I suspect awls and nails.
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone know the story why they nailed them to the old ships?
  • TassaTassa Posts: 2,373 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: AUandAG

Shooting small coins would be really hard to do. I used to use Kennedy halves to shoot

at back in the 60's.
    I used a .22 rifle and a .22 revolver. Never got a bullet to go through

one. Huge dent but no hole. They are sure hard to find afterward as well as the bullet

sends them flying!

bobimage

I don't care what your political affiliation is, that just doesn't seem right. image

• TassaTassa Posts: 2,373 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: AUandAG

at back in the 60's. I used a .22 rifle and a .22 revolver. Never got a bullet to go through

sends them flying!

bobimage

Maybe they all went back and to the left.

• ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have colonials and Feuchtwanger pieces with naturally occurring pre strike planchet conditions that result in a hole.
  • WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do I have to show you how it's done?

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: grip

Anyone know the story why they nailed them to the old ships?

There were at least two reasons why they 'nailed' old coins to old ships. Apparently, old coins were placed under the base of a mast on sailing ships whenever the original or a replacement mast was set, presumably for good luck. Also, old copper coins (mostly large cents) were used as washers under the heads of nails when planks were nailed to the hulls of wooden ships, to prevent the nail heads from pulling through as the wood swelled. A few wooden casks of old, well worn copper cents were found here in Maine several years ago, on a site that was once a ship builder's yard. It seems that old coins and ships have a long common history.

I'm a bit puzzled by the OP's question "How was creating a hole in a coin done?", as if to imply that drills were not available in the eighteenth or nineteenth centuries. Hand drills and drill bits were very much available, and were in wide use in industry, manufacturing, and metal work. Drills were needed to manufacture the very coin presses used to mint the coins in the first place. Even some very small diameter drills were in use in watch making. Jewelers, silver smiths and many others all used hand drills, so their availability was widespread.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Lakesammman

neat
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually my choice of Kennedy halves was intentional. I did not want to shoot

a silver dollar (I was in Carson City and they were still in circulation in '64) and

I thought Kennedy was an ass the way he treated Jackie. I had no respect for

him then or now. Besides it was just a good size to hone my skills with the

revolver and quick drawing.....don't all boys practice this?

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems like a waste of good money, whatever one's political beliefs.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Lakesammman

Torchimage
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file