Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Odd 960 reis coin

I initially thought this coin may have been struck over another host coin of the same type, but it was suggested it may have been double or triple struck. What I find odd is that it appears that only one side was struck more than once. The denomination side does not show any evidence of it.
Thoughts?

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Makes sense to me if you consider that the coin was laying on the reverse die, while the obverse came down on it. If there was multiple strikes, as in the example you posted, the top die would wobble slightly resulting in the effect you see in the devices, while the bottom die remained stationary.
  • Options
    That makes sense, I'm just accustomed to seeing some evidence on both sides with multi struck coins. I'm not familiar with the setup used for these coins in particular, but I imagine it was a screw press. Would expect some shifting on the bottom side due to reverberation of the force of the strike. I guess it's not always the case. Thanks.

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3