Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

what type of error is this 1968-S cent

fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
rainy day and kids went to bed, left me with a moment of free time to start organizing my office. Found the remnants of a large collection I purchased earlier this year, mostly junk from Littleton, was getting ready to dump a group of rolls of Unc misc lincolns into circulation and this came out of the tube. Perhaps I should look closer at these rolls from Littleton before I spend them.
Is this a struck through grease, die alignment strike or something else. Weight is right on


imageimage

Comments

  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a strike-through grease and a nice example at that.
  • Options
    kookoox10kookoox10 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭
    I agree, struck through grease. If it were a die adjustment strike, you wouldn't have the upset rims.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 34,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check the weight. At first glance it looks like a thin planchet.
    Professional Numismatist, Retired. 55 year member ANA. Former ANA Senior Authenticator. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and ANA Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner of the PNG's 2026 Robert Friedberg Award for "The Enigmatic Lincoln Cents of 1922," Available now from Whitman or Amazon.
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CaptHenway

    Check the weight. At first glance it looks like a thin planchet.




    I concur.



  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the weight is correct, then struck through grease...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    weight is correct, so must be from grease,
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 34,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: fishteeth

    weight is correct, so must be from grease,




    What is the weight?
    Professional Numismatist, Retired. 55 year member ANA. Former ANA Senior Authenticator. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and ANA Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner of the PNG's 2026 Robert Friedberg Award for "The Enigmatic Lincoln Cents of 1922," Available now from Whitman or Amazon.
  • Options
    fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    came in at 3.1g on my scale, the same a normal one weighed in at on the scale
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 34,180 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CaptHenway
    Check the weight. At first glance it looks like a thin planchet.


    i agree.
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting - I would have agreed with

    Tom (The Captain) that without knowing

    the weight, a rolled thin planchet was a

    good probability, over a 'filled dies' error.



    Since it's the correct weight, I say it's

    a weak strike, and not a filled die.



    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors for PCGS. A 50+ Year PNG Member.A full-time numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022.
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,836 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: FredWeinberg

    Interesting - I would have agreed with

    Tom (The Captain) that without knowing

    the weight, a rolled thin planchet was a

    good probability, over a 'filled dies' error.



    Since it's the correct weight, I say it's

    a weak strike, and not a filled die.







    I agree (as usual) with Fred and Tom. Filled dies would have resulted in a less uniform pattern of weakness across more of the design. Instead the weakness on the reverse correlates exactly with the deepest parts of the obverse design, meaning the metal was not under enough pressure to fill those areas of the dies.



    The two most common causes for this are a thin planchet (which would be underweight) or a weak strike. Since the weight is on spec, that precludes the former possibility.



    Sean Reynolds

    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

    "Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree (as usual) with Fred and Tom.




    I agree with Sean that he agrees (as usual) with Fred and Tom. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file