Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1993 Philadelphia set...............How can you be sure??

A question for the board and PCGS.

In the 1993 5 coin Philadelphia set it is generally recognized that an original proof ASE from the set will over time develop a unique blue/purplish toning. This was the basis for.......after 20 years........... PCGS giving out Philadelphia set labels.

How can they be sure the 1/10-1/4-1/2 oz AGEs are original to the set??

Comments

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you really think people are sending in the 4 coins and the Medal getting the Philadelphia Label and then cracking out the medal and sending it in with 4 more coins?

Who would by this set without the Medal??

People place way too much importance on labels.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    original proof ASE from the set will over time develop a unique blue/purplish toning.

Really?? Did not know that... will have to check my set....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Question has nothing to do with the medal.

Coins can be removed from sets by sliding plastic covers off making coins easily switched.

In addition when set is submitted return of case can be requested making it available for re-filling and re-submission.

It was for this reason PCGS refused for 20 years to give out Philadelphia set labels.

It was only after it became clear that the proof ASE could be confirmed as being from a Philadelphia set by the unique toning that labels began to be issued.

Question is how can the 3 gold proofs be confirmed to be original to the sets??
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP... The gold coins (especially) can easily come in and out of the Philly sets with absolutely no way of verifying whether they were originally from the set. Only exception is if the grading company received a sealed box from the Mint and perhaps a few of them exist in the universe. I have never seen one surface in the past ten years. Just my two cents. Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Wondercoin.............

You have seized the question.

I ask in part because I did in fact have a 20+ year old unopened box with 5 sets still in original registered US Mint package as sent to me in 1993.

While IMO these were truly able to have all 4 coins and metal certified as Philadelphia I have been disappointed to the the Philadelphia set populations continue to climb and I cannot believe there were in fact 100+ sets still sealed after 20 years that have now come to light.

I am suspect if our hosts receive a set where ASE is correctly toned and the gold "appears" original then the whole set is receiving Philadelphia labels..................
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Goodness, IMO people need to chill on the labels that numismatically are essentially meaningless - I guess if you want to get a sale to the "appropriate" person (read ??sucker??) that they are a good thing though.

I liked the Philly set when it came out and kept it in OGP & later got the mint offered bronzes of the medal.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine has not developed tarnish of any kind..... just checked. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file