Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Penny whimsy

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just for gits and shiggles, pick the small cent you'd choose that would FIT YOUR PRICE RANGE!

Not grade..... what would be affordable to YOU.

If you already have one, go ahead and pick it to puff it or pick another for fun.

Remember, this is not to be what you WISH you could have, but what you could have with your usual collecting level. I hope I haven't complicated this too much.

Just pick the small cent you'd buy if it were in your price range.

There. image

Comments

• Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    I already have the first two. I haven't bothered with Lincoln cents since I was a kid but I would like to own an 1909-S VDB one day. It is just not one of my current priorities.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1955 DD

Not being a big fan of small cents, it's the one transcends BEING a small cent. Mint Mayhem at it's finest. image
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I went through this over the last 10+ years.

First and foremost was the 1955DDO. As TT says, just above, it "transcends" being a small cent. It is the end all, to me.

I then purchased the 1909svdb....because....well, because.

Then came the 1877 and then the 1909-s IHC. To close them out.

I have NO desire for the 1914-D nor the 1922 plain.

they do nothing for me.

After that, I have focused on the proof IHCs that are toned nicely. I think they are cool and the mintages aren't in the billions image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've owned and sold many of each, but I have always loved the 55 DDO.
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    None of the above - I was hoping based on the title that large cents were going to be discussed....but I do have several 09S Indians,
    owned others besides these, as well as an 1877.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    Guess I could have added CHAIN small cent.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting how close the voting is so far.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not really sure I understand the question. Each of those small cents can be had for a few hundred dollars or many thousands. My price range varies according to the quality of the coin being offered.

I have all of them but only the '22 plain is not MS. So I chose that one.

Lance.
  • Options
    dadamsdadams Posts: 376 ✭✭✭
    Voted for the 55DDO, but it was a toss up against the 1909SVDB. I remember knowing about these coins as a kid even before I became a collector!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: lkeigwin

I'm not really sure I understand the question. Each of those small cents can be had for a few hundred dollars or many thousands. My price range varies according to the quality of the coin being offered.

I have all of them but only the '22 plain is not MS. So I chose that one.

Lance.

If your budget is 500 and you want one of the choices, you get the grade 500 will buy.

Tried to make it simple.

Failed.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never owned any of those coins, and almost certainly never will.

Can't really explain it, beyond simply no interest in them for what they cost.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    I have them all. I have 2 1909-S Indian cents. I would buy the 1914-D cent in XF condition.
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I selected the 14D also. I have it in XF45 but would like to upgrade.
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I picked the '55 DDO. I had three of them as a youngster.... then I joined the Navy... and my Mom 'cleaned out' my room.... used the cents probably for shopping...she did not know any better and, at that time, they were not nearly as valuable as now...So, would like to get one back...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We can only pick one? image

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right now my price range would be for a 2016-D cent in AU.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the 1877 would be a real nice addition to the collection.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file