Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question for hunters of double dies

gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
What type and power loupe do you use?

Comments

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends, for really tight stuff I use a 20x, for the bigger varieties, just a normal loupe, 6x, whatever.

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 16x Hastings triplet used to be the weapon of choice for cherrypickers, I have a 16x doublet that I've carried around so long the name is nearly worn off. Even as my eyes have aged, I never have any problems seeing doubling with this loupe.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: mannie gray

It depends, for really tight stuff I use a 20x, for the bigger varieties, just a normal loupe, 6x, whatever.

verbatim

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel a 10 is all one needs. Unless, the variety needs a closer look? Than I go to my 30.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple shots of absolute and I am seeing double.

I carry a 10X Hastings Triplett Bausch & Lomb.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have always used my Zeiss loupe... double lens, usually just use the large one... While minor doubling is not a major interest of mine, I look for it anyway because some friends are collectors. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the doubled dies where no loupe is necessary. Like the 55/55, 72/72, 83/83, 84/84 and 95/95......etc.....'39 Jefferson reverse.......image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a 5x. If I can't see it with that, I go to the 10x. If I just can't see it, it's usually not there.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: oih82w8

I carry a 10X Hastings Triplett Bausch & Lomb.

As do I. Far better than the larger, 2-lens "16X" loupes one often sees.

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I carry a 16x, it's an ok all around loupe. It can be a bit much for grading coins as it over magnifies the flaws.

Ive tried lighted 30 and 45 powers, but just keep them around for counterfeit detection.
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loops to grade? Bad idea.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bauch & lomb or triplett 10x. i do have a spare 5x as well.
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: thebeav

I like the doubled dies where no loupe is necessary. Like the 55/55, 72/72, 83/83, 84/84 and 95/95......etc.....'39 Jefferson reverse.......image

Once you get to a certain age, loupes are necessary for everything. image

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the replies. I have some ebay bucks coming and figure a new loupe would be a good purchase.
  • Options
    rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are OK with your loupe being a bit big and clunky, you could go with an enlarging lens instead. A Nikon 50mm f/2.8 is equivalent to about a 6x loupe, but is far superior in terms of distortion, color correction, and contrast to any 6x loupe out there. Plus, they are fairly cheap. A good Zeiss doublet will cost you >$100, while the Nikon goes for perhaps $25, and the Nikon beats the Zeiss hands-down on all counts other than it is more bulky in the pocket.

If you need higher mag, you can get a shorter FL lens. 35mm lenses are common and cheap and are like 10-12x magnifiers.
    PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file