Home U.S. Coin Forum

Daniel Carr 1964 peace dollar

Daniel Carr 1964 peace dollar sells for 850.00 according to watchcount

Comments

• 1940coupe1940coupe Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭
    sorry here is auction http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-D...?hash=item58e170614a:gimagebUAAOSwV0RXtF8e
  • cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So much for no one being taken by one of the pieces; at least it was disclosed that it was not a genuine 1964-D Peace Dollar. $850 is a ridiculous sum for something that was struck, without legal authorization from the federal government, and is not meaningfully distinguishable from generic bullion rounds at this point.

Edited to add: For only a bit more, you could buy an Omega counterfeit Saint Gaudens Double Eagle, and at least have a decent amount of bullion for the price.
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: cameonut2011

So much for no one being taken by one of the pieces... $850 is a ridiculous sum for something that was struck, without legal authorization from the federal government, and is not meaningfully distinguishable from generic bullion rounds at this point.

$850 is not necessarily ridiculous according to the market.

These pieces routinely sell for north of $350. I see two recent eBay auctions where the final selling price was $406 with 34 bids and $576 with 26 bids.

Interest is very high right now. The number of pieces struck was quite low--and final. And dcarr has a following that is growing all the time.

Overstrike collectors, Peace dollar collectors, dcarr collectors would probably all like to add one if they could. But they can't. Demand is greater than supply.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder what Dan would think about one of his 64 peace's in one of Johnson's slabs. Yuk. If it was near market valued I'd buy it just to get it out of that thing
    The more you VAM..
  • MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And to think I sold mine for what I purchased it for (Approx. $85) after keeping it for several months.
    Fall National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. Thanksgiving Battlefield Coin Show is November 29-30, 2024. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
    price of low mintage items is going up check out 1816 capped bust http://www.ebay.com/itm/1816-5...83e:g:bDgAAOSw8w1X3v1k
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: MICHAELDIXON

And to think I sold mine for what I purchased it for (Approx. $85) after keeping it for several months.

History will acquit you.
  • I have 1960 peace dollar if I could figure out how to post it
    Randy Conway

Www.killermarbles.com

Www.suncitycoin.com
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: 1940coupe

price of low mintage items is going up check out 1816 capped bust http://www.ebay.com/itm/1816-5...83e:g:bDgAAOSw8w1X3v1k

LOL. Seller calls it an 1816/5.

Lance.
    Originally posted by: lkeigwin

LOL. Seller calls it an 1816/5.

Lance.

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imagine how much more these would be worth had PCGS decided to start to slab them.

peacockcoins

actually thats the way Dan made them look http://www.moonlightmint.com/blog_9.htm
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll hold mine for now.

• I think he will go down as an amazing artist! Love his stuff, but try and pick it up at moonlight and not pay the after market price!
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to hold onto mine too. However, i am noticing a bit of toning at the opened end of the flip for several of my coins, not sure what to do about it. It has me worried. Maybe i should get all my Dan Carr coins slabbed by ANACS...
  • Originally posted by: cameonut2011
    So much for no one being taken by one of the pieces; at least it was disclosed that it was not a genuine 1964-D Peace Dollar. $850 is a ridiculous sum for something that was struck, without legal authorization from the federal government, and is not meaningfully distinguishable from generic bullion rounds at this point.

Edited to add: For only a bit more, you could buy an Omega counterfeit Saint Gaudens Double Eagle, and at least have a decent amount of bullion for the price.

That's the beauty of collecting. Beauty and price are in the eye of the beholder. There are lots of coins other people love and I have no interest in owning, and vice versa. Coin collecting is probably one of the most diverse hobbies in existence. Different people are attracted to different coins. Dan Carr's fantasy coins don't interest me with my collecting, but I don't understand your need to disparage those who do like his coins. I do find them interesting and enjoy seeing people post pictures of them.

I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jessewvu
    I'm going to hold onto mine too. However, i am noticing a bit of toning at the opened end of the flip for several of my coins, not sure what to do about it. It has me worried. Maybe i should get all my Dan Carr coins slabbed by ANACS...

The flips I use are always non-PVC, so that is not an issue.
    However, some kinds of chemical fumes in the environment can start a toning process near the open end of the pocket.

If the toning is still fairly light, it can be abated.
    You can use something like "Tarn-X" cleaner (available at Wallgreens, and some other places).
    Or sometimes ordinary vinegar will work. Just submerge the piece in the cleaner and make sure there are no bubbles stuck to it. Let it soak for about 10 seconds or so. Slightly heavier (darker) toning can take a little longer. Then completely rinse it off with water under the tap (front back and edge). Use a clean soft cotton bath towel to pat it dry. Never rub it in any way.

This process will work with copper, brass, silver, etc. But I only recommend it for modern mint-state coins that have light to moderate toning (if it is unattractive). If an older coin with heavy toning is cleaned, it may end up looking cloudy because the heavy tarnish has actually etched the surface and there is no way to reverse that.

Note that this process may help prevent the formation of "milk spots" on Silver Eagles somewhat, but it won't do anything about milk spots that have already formed.

The cleaning solution can be reused many times until it turns yellowish and/or becomes ineffective. Cleaning a lot of tarnished silver coins will make it turn yellow faster. Do not put copper coins in the yellowed cleaner because it may cause silver to plate onto the copper.
    Daniel Carr 1964 peace dollar sells for 850.00 according to watchcount

That is surprising, although several have sold for $500+. Note that it was a "bulk handled" piece as well.

The auction title and description did not state "Carr". But the listing did clearly show an image of the original certificate which states the important particulars. The title also stated that it was a "fantasy coinage" and it was listed exclusively in the "Fantasy Issue Coins" category.
    Originally posted by: CascadeChris
    I wonder what Dan would think about one of his 64 peace's in one of Johnson's slabs. Yuk. If it was near market valued I'd buy it just to get it out of that thing

There is nothing wrong with the plastic holder itself. But I'm not particularly fond of that brand of certification. What is stated on that label is minimal but not deceptive. But I'd rather have a home-made "Coin World" style slab or an ANACS slab.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The auction says it sold for US $1,050.00. Did it go for $850 instead?

It's good that the auction included Dan's original flip insert in addition to being slabbed. Good to have more information than less.
    Originally posted by: TigersFan2

That's the beauty of collecting. Beauty and price are in the eye of the beholder. There are lots of coins other people love and I have no interest in owning, and vice versa. Coin collecting is probably one of the most diverse hobbies in existence. Different people are attracted to different coins. Dan Carr's fantasy coins don't interest me with my collecting, but I don't understand your need to disparage those who do like his coins. I do find them interesting and enjoy seeing people post pictures of them.

I am not disparaging those who collect Carr pieces. There are a number of intelligent collectors that collect altered and counterfeit coins (e.g. Henning nickel, Omega coins mentioned, etc.). My criticism is that the piece was sold so high relative to other pieces, which I view as someone being taken advantage of over a piece that I do not believe should exist (at least not in its unmarked format).
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone is entitled to their collecting interests....The dcarr '64 fantasy dollars are perfectly legal and are all identifiable. Some do not like them, however, 'liking' or 'not liking' is a personal issue and nothing more. Cheers, RickO
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

this has been discussed ad nauseum. it is hard for me to imagine anyone with the slightest Numismatic knowledge not knowing what this is and someone who is ignorant of that same knowledge probably wouldn't be trying to own one.

JMHO, but the sort of thinking expressed by cameonut2011 would be alleviated by having PCGS adhere to what they state on their submission page, encapsulating these Tokens with enough ID for ANYONE to know what they aren't.
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Zoins

The auction says it sold for US $1,050.00. Did it go for $850 instead?

This is what I saw as well...image

I would like to have one of these as well...one of these days.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

actually thats the way Dan made them look http://www.moonlightmint.com/blog_9.htm

You're right.

Maybe it should be 1816-over-various as the 1815 was overstruck on 1812. image

I see it is also a "50 over 5C".

Lance.

• ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: keets

this has been discussed ad nauseum. it is hard for me to imagine anyone with the slightest Numismatic knowledge not knowing what this is and someone who is ignorant of that same knowledge probably wouldn't be trying to own one.

JMHO, but the sort of thinking expressed by cameonut2011 would be alleviated by having PCGS adhere to what they state on their submission page, encapsulating these Tokens with enough ID for ANYONE to know what they aren't.

Exactly!!! Anyone who has trouble with this issue along with the 1816 half, 1922-S Walker and so on is either naive, very gullible or a few marbles short of a bag that's supposed to have 1 marble.

The ATS discussion about this (especially the insufferable poster 'MrMcKnowitall) borders on ludicrous. In fact I just ordered 3 .999 silver rounds from Mr. Carr that depict the 1916 dime, quarter and half with startling accuracy within the round itself. I can see some people wonder "what if he cuts them out and tries to pass them as real?" They are out there - you could probably sell them a unicorn too.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that's a "johnson!"

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,170 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought 5 from Dan when they first came out. Sold all five , over the course of the years, ranging from $150 to $450. Only one came back to me and that customer traded it back in (after holding it for less than a month) , for a $10 Gold Indian in XF (it was raw and genuine, though... not mint state, nor a fantasy piece ).

I enjoy the controversy this particular piece ignited.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ElmerFusterpuck

Originally posted by: keets

Exactly!!! Anyone who has trouble with this issue along with the 1816 half, 1922-S Walker and so on is either naive, very gullible or a few marbles short of a bag that's supposed to have 1 marble.

The ATS discussion about this (especially the insufferable poster 'MrMcKnowitall) borders on ludicrous. In fact I just ordered 3 .999 silver rounds from Mr. Carr that depict the 1916 dime, quarter and half with startling accuracy within the round itself. I can see some people wonder "what if he cuts them out and tries to pass them as real?" They are out there - you could probably sell them a unicorn too.

My battles with him are epic. What was his user name when he was on PCGS? TIA to anyone who knows

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder when/if one of the Chinese counterfeiters will fake these fakes?

If they did, would there be a leg to stand on?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• 66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    '' it is hard for me to imagine anyone with the slightest Numismatic knowledge not knowing what this is''

That why I thought it was a (not going to say it) to bump the pricing average up a tad before putting a few more on the market.

Need something designed and 3D printed?
    Look, it's a homemade genuine counterfeit coin. What else can be said of it ?
    There's nothing counterfeit about it image
    The more you VAM..

Okay, it's a modern re-strike by a private minter. But it is NOT a legitimate coin struck by the U.S. Mint. It is struck over. This is where it gets complex.
    Originally posted by: Bochiman
    I wonder when/if one of the Chinese counterfeiters will fake these fakes?
    If they did, would there be a leg to stand on?

There were already a few Chinese "1964 Peace Dollars" being sold at the time I first offered some of mine in 2010. And there continues to be a number of them listed on eBay.
    I just searched on eBay in the Coins & Paper Money category for "1964 Peace". There is one Carr piece currently listed and 9 Chinese pieces. The Chinese ones are not over-strikes and they are not made of silver. The style of the "64" in the date is different between the two.

The Chinese pieces tend to sell for about $20 or less.
    eBay "sold items" currently shows 40 Chinese and 9 Carr.
    The 40 Chinese sold for $5 to $50, with one outlier at $72.
    The 9 Carr sold for $237 to $850.

Note that I did offer "1965" over-strike Peace Dollars and then some Chinese "1965 Peace Dollars" came out after that. As it was the case with the 1964s, the style of the "65" in the date is different between the two. Also, the Chinese "1965 Peace Dollars" are not silver and they do not have a "D" mint mark. The Carr over-strikes do have a "D".

Current listings for "1965 Peace" are comprised of 2 Chinese and 0 Carr. Sold items show 17 Chinese and 5 Carr. The Chinese sold for about $3 to $14. The Carr "1965-D" over-strikes sold for $152 to $328.

Unauthorized replicas of Daniel Carr coins and other items incorrectly attributed to Daniel Carr.

Originally posted by: TwoSides2aCoin

Okay, it's a modern re-strike by a private minter. But it is NOT a legitimate coin struck by the U.S. Mint. It is struck over. This is where it gets complex.

I can't disagree with that assesment aside that they are over-strikes not re-strikes however the "complexity" issue is highly over blown. That said, contoversy is the cornerstone of every artist worth their salt imo
    The more you VAM..

Okay, it's a modern re-strike by a private minter.

What is the difference?
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sigh*

Okay, it's a modern re-strike by a private minter.

What is the difference?

About the difference between a silver certificate and an American silver dollar. One is made by the mint and the other by a private corporation
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still have mine and is part of my collection. The man is an artist. I love his work.

[url=http://postimage.org]image[/url][url=http://postimage.org/app.php]capture[/url]
    [url=http://postimage.org]image[/url][url=http://postimage.org/app.php]capture[/url]
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see the 1922 under date
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In hand, Dan's Peace Dollars are quite wonderful. I like the matte specimen 1964 best of course.

I have said this before, these overstrikes as well as his of other denominations are a favorite part of my collection. I have many more valuable coins, but these I look at most and get the most attention by those I show my coins to. Don't just hide them away in a box somewhere like so many others.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • robecrobec Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is the ghost of 1922 on one of mine.

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice image Bob!
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    I have the Matte Proof version.

I'll have to get it from my safe and have a close look to see if mine has any evidence of the host coins date.
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,871 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i remember buying 21 of the various Carr 1964-D restrikes, mostly bulk handled version directly from Daniel Carr back in the day....Daniel took them all to ANACS to have them slabbed. i kept one of the 21 in the raw format.

i enjoy them immensly!

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,520 ✭✭✭
    I still have the PL version. Not sure how these are doing price wise.
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wished I gotten that - I imagine that would be 400 or so on the 'bay.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file